ADVERTISEMENT

Cal loves him some Edwards.

Are we united in this yet, fellow Cats fans? How many more hold-outs do we have sticking to the "just give it more time, the light bulb will come on" mindset with this one?

Edwards is probably a good dude.

He's a complete bust of a #3 ranked recruit out of High School. Those are supposed to be the guys who carry their teams and take over games.

Edwards wouldn't be a top 100 recruit based on his freshman season.

That would only make sense if Cal didn't know Edwards' 2024 draft prospects were already gone. He has no chance of getting drafted and hasn't had one for some time; it just takes a while for the mock drafts to catch up.

Well I agree with that.. but then what is it? Just the empty promise of doing everything he can to get him drafted?

I don't understand it at all. He is the one player I'm sure will never play in the NBA. I'd give Harte and Burks better chances based on what I've seen this year.

And he completely sukked those 14 minutes. Love Shep but it's funny how some have a set of rules for everyone but Shep.
Shep's strength is shooting and facilitating. How is he supposed to do either of those when the Basketball Vacuum named DJ can't make a shot and never passes or creates?

I turned it off after that horrible selfish drive by Edwards to the rim towards the end of the first half. Threw up that garbage prayer with the guy on him that was way off. So sick of watching him play. I guess I'm back to only following road games online. Not worth getting pissed off over watching it live.
That was the only shot he attempted in 23 minutes.

His two points came from a couple of free throws at the end of the second half.

He promises playing time in recruiting. Its so obvious.
He promises a shot at the NBA

but that translates to playing time unless you become one of the outcasts who end up transferring because they didn't have the Cal halo.

In order to get the next Edwards, he has to fulfill his obligation to the current one.

Its about keeping the pipeline going and hoping that one year you get lucky. Some fans are ok with that

Edwards: 23 mins
Sheppard: 14 mins

We have one guy one our entire team that is on the midseason Wooden watch list and is also a projected lottery pick...and he got 14 mins tonight.
Even though Reed didn' have a good game, how can you playing 2 mins here, 3 there, 1 here, he still out scored and out rebounded Edwards in a lot less time.🙄

To the detriment of the team. His plus/minus on the year has to be awful. I feel bad for Edwards but trotting him out there is not helping him. Cal taking his heart while playing him so much.
He’s the latest Dragon/Livingston that he will continue to play regardless if we have better options on the bench. I feel bad for JE, but he’s a fish outta water and plays like he’s on roller skates

Shep's strength is shooting and facilitating. How is he supposed to do either of those when the Basketball Vacuum named DJ can't make a shot and never passes or creates?
It would be interesting if there were a statistic to show how many minutes in a given game a single player possessed the ball. I think DJ‘s possession rate would be alarming.

Reactions: TODASAURUS
Cal claims that he doesn't have favorites but we all know that he does. Plus his legacy with small forwards is atrocious. Whitney, Livingston, Boston, Matthews, Juzang, and now Edwards. When they aren't transferring from the program, they're not meeting expectations. I think Calipari is trying to prove something to the next batch of wing forwards he's recruiting, and it's massively backfiring.
Actually, Pothress was brought in as a McAA small forward that stayed 4 years and averaged what? something like 8 pts a game for his career ?

And people were pointing out last game how Edwards minutes were getting reduced and how he played least amount of anyone against GA with 13. Guess sheps minutes getting reduced now too smdh!!
His minutes were getting reduced. A lot of today's minutes for him came in garbage time with a last gasp effort to press and use his size a bit more on defense to force turnovers.

I turned it off after that horrible selfish drive by Edwards to the rim towards the end of the first half. Threw up that garbage prayer with the guy on him that was way off. So sick of watching him play. I guess I'm back to only following road games online. Not worth getting pissed off over watching it live.
True it’s not worth getting upset over sounds like Edwards missed another wide open layup

Remember when we thought we stole Edwards from UT? They wound up with Knecht. Joke’s on us.

Edit: not that it would have mattered, Cal would have Knecht playing 14 minutes ala Reed

Last edited:
Reactions: UK90 and jedwar
Edwards is starting for Klutch, not because of what he brings right now. I get the “potential” angle but something’s gotta give.

Reactions: STL_Cat
His minutes were getting reduced. A lot of today's minutes for him came in garbage time with a last gasp effort to press and use his size a bit more on defense to force turnovers.
You’re talking maybe an extra 3-5 minutes here. He still played a good 18 minutes while the game was still winnable which is about what he has been averaging for the year. Edwards is not help helping the team in any capacity but cal continues playing him regardless just waiting for anything he can to justify using him even more.

Cal being cal. He does it every year.

Edwards desperately needs to work on his handle. He has zero dribble with his right hand. It's literally killing him and us. He isn't an elite athlete but he's good enough to be a good college player if he develops a right hand dribble.

Instead he keeps going hard left, the opposition overplays it, he gets up a weak shot and misses. Every time.

Reactions: CincyUKFan
We just need to shift to pumping up Knox. Sure he has dubious shooting skills and motor but this is about all about hope and rankings now.

Sidenote, David Jones would look very good on this team.

We just need to shift to pumping up Knox. Sure he has dubious shooting skills and motor but this is about all about hope and rankings now.

Sidenote, David Jones would look very good on this team.
Knox? You seem to be thinking of six years ago’s problem.

Knox? You seem to be thinking of six years ago’s problem.
No, there have been a couple of threads this week about Karter Knox being close to committing and to ignore his shooting numbers and talk of his motor.

Reactions: UK90
Cal being cal. He does it every year.

Edwards desperately needs to work on his handle. He has zero dribble with his right hand. It's literally killing him and us. He isn't an elite athlete but he's good enough to be a good college player if he develops a right hand dribble.

Instead he keeps going hard left, the opposition overplays it, he gets up a weak shot and misses. Every time.

He looked really bad tonight and tried to press things a couple times. I no longer see him playing down the stretch to help us. I can't wait to get Thiero back to see the change in toughness.

No, there have been a couple of threads this week about Karter Knox being close to committing and to ignore his shooting numbers and talk of his motor.
OK, now I get it. Nevermind my prior post.

I posted in the Knox thread that he isn't shooting great this year, his senior year of high school, but did fine in his soph and junior years and at Nike EYBL. I don't know why you would only judge him from the smallest (albeit most recent) sample size, rather than his career 3PT% in the 30s and FT% in the 70s.

I posted in the Knox thread that he isn't shooting great this year, his senior year of high school, but did fine in his soph and junior years and at Nike EYBL. I don't know why you would only judge him from the smallest (albeit most recent) sample size, rather than his career 3PT% in the 30s and FT% in the 70s.
Because I want us to get off the Whitney/Livingston/Edwards hype rollercoaster. SFs are very slow to develop in CBB, go pull the past 5 years of rankings and look. Go get a David Jones, Terrance Shannon, Baylor Scheierman, Kevin McCullar type out of the portal.

Because I want us to get off the Whitney/Livingston/Edwards hype rollercoaster. SFs are very slow to develop in CBB, go pull the past 5 years of rankings and look. Go get a David Jones, Terrance Shannon, Baylor Scheierman, Kevin McCullar type out of the portal.

I can't disagree with that. Actually, I don't want a SF-type at all. Go with 3 guards like when Dillingham and Sheppard come in with Reeves or Wagner.

Reactions: qwesley
I can't disagree with that. Actually, I don't want a SF-type at all. Go with 3 guards like when Dillingham and Sheppard come in with Reeves or Wagner.
Agree with 3 guards and Mitchell. Until AT gets back I'd go 4 guard or Z. Everyone else spot mins.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT