ADVERTISEMENT

Cal and Perry

Confused Always Sunny GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

he’s 6 feet tall, that’s gonna be a problem at a high D-I level. I’m sure he can ball but being guarded by 6’4 guys who are just as quick, if not quicker, is gonna make it tough. Plus at that size he’ll be a defensive liability…at least initially. I don’t care whose system it is size, physicality, athleticism, defense matters. Nothing against the kid, but it’s gonna take time to acclimated.
Well I’ve stood next to him and he is legit 6’1 if that matters. There are plenty 6’1 guards playing D1 basketball. The team that just won the national championship had some guards very similar to Perry. And that program recruited Perry and wanted him badly.

Well I’ve stood next to him and he is legit 6’1 if that matters. There are plenty 6’1 guards playing D1 basketball. The team that just won the national championship had some guards very similar to Perry. And that program recruited Perry and wanted him badly.
I respect that, he may be the exception to the rule. It’s just gonna take him some time to acclimated to the size and speed of SEC athletes. I’m sure he has the talent, by all accounts he’s a hooper.

I respect that, he may be the exception to the rule. It’s just gonna take him some time to acclimated to the size and speed of SEC athletes. I’m sure he has the talent, by all accounts he’s a hooper.
Players like him do need to be in a system that will get them shots though. imo. But I am terrible at projecting how players translate from high school to college, lol .

IMO he didn’t like the attention they got and fans (sometimes unrealistically) calling for them to get more playing time .
I don't think he "had anything against KY boys". I think he didn't want non-5* guys, or at least non-4*+ guys (which IMO was a mistake). And very few KY boys are 4* or 5* players.

And if you look at the KY Mr Basketball winners since 1990, 8 out of 34 went to UK, and Cal recruited half of those 8 (4) over 15 recruiting classes (and did not pull the offer to a 5th, Hood, when he arrived). That means the other 19 seasons, Pitino, Tubby and BCG offered the other 4 winners. So that supports that he didn't bring in fewer top KY players less than his more recent predecessors.

Reactions: yoshukai
I think this is true. Look at all though KY boys who went to Vandy over the years, often not good enough to initially come to UK, but by their JR year were contributing significantly at Vandy. Other schools too. Lofton is the best example. But when they are lacking size or quickness, it just lowers their chances of success at the college (P5) level, but it does not mean all of them won't succeed.
I've always liked bringing in some "flawed players", guys who are undersized at their position, or not quite at athletic as others, because those are the ones more likely to be there 4 years, and there is only one way to get that level of maturity and experience those guys can add to a team. Guys like Chuck Hayes, Ulis (even though he left after 2 years), and others.

I cover and know the teams on the 3SSB circuit as well, if not better than anyone. I hear all kinds of noise on Perry.. small, played in a weaker conference, against weaker competition, blah, blah, blah.

I’m about as negative as one can be on high school basketball in Kentucky. 8th grade kids being reclassed so many times they having parking spaces for student drivers at the middle schools. Who ever heard of 20 year olds graduating as seniors!

I say this to say Perry averaged 20.6 points in seventh grade, 26.6 points in eighth grade, 27.3 points as a freshman, 27.5 points as a sophomore, 32.2 points as a junior, and 29 and some change as a senior against people that were older than him, with teams that had more talent than he did, and while being double and sometimes triple teamed each night.

He is a scorer, not a shooter. He can shoot the 3 ball well, but this kid can score the ball at every level. He won’t be just a shooter for us.. watch his AAU film plus his high school film and you’ll see how versatile he really is.
He's a savy scorer who knows how to get to spots to score and great touch to make shots when he does. He'll have to adjust to the college game where open spots are very small and the time for release even smaller but he is built to do just that and will be a really good college player whether he stays here of goes somewhere else in the future.

It was one of his youtube videos, but I don't remember which one. Said it as though it was an established fact, but who knows. Actually, I found it.

Starts at 6:00 and goes about 20 seconds. Said he was told straight up not to commit.
Thanks, first time I heard that and if true I question Perrys intelligence. I wonder why Cal didn't just tell him he didn't want him, he had no problem not recruiting Noah

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT