ADVERTISEMENT

Cal admits he's not coaching up to Kentucky standards...

Son_Of_Saul

All-American
Dec 7, 2007
"The team had won a total of just two NCAA tournament games in the previous four seasons, and over the last two, it had lost 27 games. That's not supposed to happen in Lexington."

- John Calipari, from 2014

Player's First

If 27 losses over two years and 2 tourney wins in four years is unacceptable, then what would you call 46 losses in four years, and only one tournament win in that span?

Have some integrity and step down. Come to a compromise and make a deal for Kentucky to pay you something like $10 million. You can step in as a paid ambassador for the program and walk away with $10 million.

Don't do this to the Commonwealth. Have some integrity, sir. It was a good run, but it's over now. Accept that and leave on good terms. Help this program by getting out of the way of it. This one isn't about you, coach.

"The team had won a total of just two NCAA tournament games in the previous four seasons, and over the last two, it had lost 27 games. That's not supposed to happen in Lexington."

Player's First

If 27 losses over two years and 2 tourney wins in four years is unacceptable, then what would you call 46 losses in four years, and only one tournament win in that span?

Have some integrity and step down. Come to a compromise and make a deal for Kentucky to pay you something like $10 million. You can step in as a paid ambassador for the program and walk away with $10 million.

Don't do this to the Commonwealth. Have some integrity, sir. It was a good run, but it's over now. Accept that and leave on good terms. Help this program by getting out of the way of it. This one isn't about you, coach.

Well said. It is time and if he won't do it, UK brass needs to make something happen. This is not acceptable in any way shape or form.

Not sure how that says he’s not coaching up to standards. In his sick, twisted mind he’s blaming it on the team, fans, administration, NIL, media, girl scouts, etc. Dude will never fully admit he’s at fault and you’ll always be stupid for questioning him and not giving him your full support.

Not sure how that says he’s not coaching up to standards. In his sick, twisted mind he’s blaming it on the team, fans, administration, NIL, media, girl scouts, etc. Dude will never fully admit he’s at fault and you’ll always be stupid for questioning him and not giving him your full support.
I think the most glaring issue in all of this is that it shows he truly lacks integrity if he stays on and forces Kentucky's hand.

Not even Tubby Smith did that. He knew when it was time to go. The program's bigger than any one man. Cal could still reinforce a positive legacy if he left now and helped UK as an ambassador for the next coach.

I think last night he didn't fully understand the magnitude of this loss

today it will hit him like a ton of bricks, and it will only get worse over the next few days.

Any man in his position is going to have to do some soul searching, and if not, Mitch Barnhart needs to have an intervention

I'm not saying Cal will leave or be fired, but two things UK will not tolerate next year. NBA talk and blaming youth.

Its time for UK fans to start changing the narrative themselves and stop giving Calipari a platform to spout his self serving propaganda

I think the most glaring issue in all of this is that it shows he truly lacks integrity if he stays on and forces Kentucky's hand.

Not even Tubby Smith did that. He knew when it was time to go. The program's bigger than any one man. Cal could still reinforce a positive legacy if he left now and helped UK as an ambassador for the next coach.
Ego man, I’ve dealt with and seen many in my lifetime but from a distance I’ve never witnessed a man so full of himself than John Calipari. If the boot lickers on here can’t see that he’s solely responsible for slowly destroying this program then they’re probably just like him. He’s probably a pretty good guy, at least seems that way, but he’s no longer a great coach (if he ever was) and we’re screwed if we don’t move on starting today.

I think last night he didn't fully understand the magnitude of this loss

today it will hit him like a ton of bricks, and it will only get worse over the next few days.

Any man in his position is going to have to do some soul searching, and if not, Mitch Barnhart needs to have an intervention

I'm not saying Cal will leave or be fired, but two things UK will not tolerate next year. NBA talk and blaming youth.

Its time for UK fans to start changing the narrative themselves and stop giving Calipari a platform to spout his self serving propaganda
I like your thinking. If UK for some reason retains Calipari, Mitch should come out with a public statement after dressing down Cal in private.

1. No more blaming youth.
2. No more NBA talk publicly. If he wants to do it with recruits, fine, but nothing in terms of public discourse until he gets back to the Final Four.
3. No more "Dejuaning" recruits when they say they want to come back by ripping up their scholarships and pushing them out.

Cal need a complete surgery of the soul right now. I hope Mitch publicly and privately admonishes him.

Has there been any discussion that destroying the men's basketball program is a desired outcome by the University? Many at the University never did/do like "sports" and would certainly be happy to see the sports programs disappear or become irrelevant in order for UK to focus on academics and social change...

Has anyone investigated/documented Capilouto's and the Board's stance on the sports programs?

Would be interesting to have their public comments on the Calipari situation.

I read the most recent Board of Trustee notes last night, and they are quite happy with Capilouto. So he isn't going anywhere... While the University hates it, the majority of Kentuckians connection to UK is the men's basketball program and this is problematic for many at the University.

I will be surprised if the University takes any action unless forced to by outside intervention...

seth meyers GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Has there been any discussion that destroying the men's basketball program is a desired outcome by the University? Many at the University never did/do like "sports" and would certainly be happy to see the sports programs disappear or become irrelevant in order for UK to focus on academics and social change...

Has anyone investigated/documented Capilouto's and the Board's stance on the sports programs?

I read the most recent Board of Trustee notes last night, and they are quite happy with Capilouto. So he isn't going anywhere... While the University hates it, the majority of Kentuckians connection to UK is the men's basketball program and this is problematic for many at the University.

I will be surprised if the University takes any action unless forced to by outside intervention...
given it generates revenue going back into the general fund for the university, the bigger concern would be sports having to much focus over education rather than not enough

I like your thinking. If UK for some reason retains Calipari, Mitch should come out with a public statement after dressing down Cal in private.

1. No more blaming youth.
2. No more NBA talk publicly. If he wants to do it with recruits, fine, but nothing in terms of public discourse until he gets back to the Final Four.
3. No more "Dejuaning" recruits when they say they want to come back by ripping up their scholarships and pushing them out.

Cal need a complete surgery of the soul right now. I hope Mitch publicly and privately admonishes him.
Are you kidding Mitch isn’t going to do anything because he’s useless as and AD

That's a heck of a rabbit hole. I'd seriously doubt that's the case. Why? Because big time sports = big time money. It's that simple.

Player's First

In his mind he can rationalize that it's okay to steal millions in order to "help" the less fortunate. In actually he's proving right all of the Bennies that say he's done. Now comes the revenge tour against those that don't support his continued plunder of the program. He's truly showing us what kind of " Christian" that he is. He'll make a big show of washing feet but won't be honest with himself and admit that he's not giving all that he can.

I may be wrong and he's truly doing his best, but I'm not the one to judge that

I would prefer that Cal leave altogether. No being an ambassador for UK basketball and the University. If I were the new coach coming in, I would NOT want Calipari anywhere near my program. You know that other coaches can see what he's done to this program. Cal is the ONLY one who doesn't seem to see it. Or he does and doesn't care. Either way, when he goes, I want him TOTALLY gone.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT