ADVERTISEMENT

Burkes 3 star, rated #172 overall. Comparable front court recruits and their freshman (or first year) production. PPG/RPG

Oct 29, 2014
Sheray Thomas 1.7/1.1
Bobby Perry 1.3/1.5
Rekalin Sims 4.4/2.9
Josh Harrelson 3.6/2.5
Eloy Vargas 1.5/2.0

Let's hope everyone who watches and evaluates prep talent is wrong this time! I'm sick of the haters running down the man who has spent the last 5 years neglecting the program and thumbing his nose at a fanbase he considers backwards and beneath him, I hope he pulls a rabbit out of his butt and this kid who he's never shown any interest in turns out to be the National Player of the year. That way he will know he doesn't need to fix any of the stuff that's clearly broken!

Reactions: EliteBlue
Not likely to be a lottery pick, but much better than a top 200 prospect. Best guess is that he’ll help at times, kind of like how guys like Bryce Hopkins and D. Collins helped at times as freshmen.

Let it play out dude. Geez. I am as down on Cal as everyone else but let’s give the kid a month or 2 ok?
Not even about the kid. It isn't his fault. This is neglect, there is no plan and this kid doesn't deserve to be put through the pressure cooker he's about to endure. Calipari has not done his job, now he's putting kids in positions where they have no chance to succeed.

Not likely to be a lottery pick, but much better than a top 200 prospect. Best guess is that he’ll help at times, kind of like how guys like Bryce Hopkins and D. Collins helped at times as freshmen.
Collins was a McDonald’s All American five star top twenty recruit

Reactions: Samurai Cat
There have been some impressive late bloomers in Kentucky's history. Erik Daniels comes to mind. If I recall, he was the 7th rated player in the city of Cincinnati. And not highly ranked nationally.

Burks could be a sleeper, and I'll give him the benefit of the doubt at this point. Good pickup in any case, and no reason to be sour about it whatsoever.

LOL. This is quite a talent evaluation that compares the kid to players as totally dissimilar as Bobby Perry, Eloy Vargas and Josh Harrelson. As he has nothing in common with any of them, I guess the point is simply that they were all three-stars ranked in roughly the same range. Like Kenneth Faried, for example. Or Damian Lillard.
Both guys who entered a toxic situation in the sports biggest spotlight. With injuries/mysterious circumstances/handlers influencing players/etc he is going to have to play minutes immediately against high major talent. You don't see a difference in Faried or Lillard's paths? Burkes should be trying to emulate their processes, absolutely. This aint it friend.

Weird post. We already have 7, 4 and 5 star players. We need guys like this who have proven skills that can score. He did a great job of that at OTE. Whether it works out in college\He doesn't transfer after 1 year we will see. We've had our ass kicked but much lower rated players many times before.

Averaged 5.1/3.9 in the A10.
As a FR.
And the A10 is not P6, but it's not mid-major either, it's like half-a-step down. They regularly have 2-4 NCAA-T teams.

Don't be stupid.
Not every player is meant to be a star his first year!
Y'all want players to be at UK for 3 or 4 years, but you don't want players who are destined to be 3 or 4 year players. WTF!

As a FR.
And the A10 is not P6, but it's not mid-major either, it's like half-a-step down. They regularly have 2-4 NCAA-T teams.

Don't be stupid.
Y'all want players to be at UK for 3 or 4 years, but you don't want players who are destined to be 3 or 4 year players. WTF!
Because they rarely stick around at UK!

Weird post. We already have 7, 4 and 5 star players. We need guys like this who have proven skills that can score. He did a great job of that at OTE. Whether it works out in college\He doesn't transfer after 1 year we will see. We've had our ass kicked but much lower rated players many times before.
If we had been filling our roster with these guys all along, yeah. You'd cycle them in and out. But we haven't, and now that we're suddenly unable to pull transfer talent we are SOL. It isn't about the kid or what he can become if he stays a few years (LOL, neither parties forte iirc), it's that we have to have impact guys now and this is what we could get. He is a symptom, not the problem. Burkes, I love you bro hope you do great. But this is still clear atrophy for the program and should be regarded as such.

Reactions: ruppsrunt66
As a FR.

Don't be stupid.
Like him hope he's great 3 years from now. But that isn't the program cal has had or will have. He is not going to stock and develop veteran talent. This is a hail mary because he has not been doing his job.

Pot luck roster...what could go wrong?
9YZXcYI.gif

Not even about the kid. It isn't his fault. This is neglect, there is no plan and this kid doesn't deserve to be put through the pressure cooker he's about to endure. Calipari has not done his job, now he's putting kids in positions where they have no chance to succeed.
Yeah! If they ain't ranked, like when Tubby let Loftin go, or Joe Hall didn't recruit Larry Bird. We need highly ranked players like Collins, Skal, L Ware, D Allen, etc

Like most others, I’m down on Cal too but this thread is ridiculous. I think that was written out and ready for the announcement to copy and paste real quick. He’s not going to be a starter and if he is, that means he’s way better than expected.

Reactions: thedahc
Other players in that range as well.
Tyler Haliburton
Draymond Green
Russell Westrbook
Kenneth Faried
etc ...
Point is, you just never know. The kid has some talent
Good work! I was about to find some comparable players too. You beat me to it, lol.

I agree that Calipari is putting kids in positions where they have little chance to succeed, but he's doing that with 5-star freshmen - not kids like Burks. Burks seems to have a lot of upside that's not too hard to envision. He needs to be developed and put in the right spots and playing time situations to build confidence, not damage it.

The positions the 5-stars are being put it to carry a team offensively, are more likely to damage their draft position than enhance it.

I like the kid but the question is will he stick around here long enough to become that.The portal has really damaged hopes for players sticking around.
Spot on. A coaching staff won't always be right, but I think when you recruit a kid like Burks you need to believe he is a guy you can convince to stay multiple years.

Sisk said this kid is a player. Sounds like he needs a solid coach/mentor to push him to next level.

I agree that Calipari is putting kids in positions where they have little chance to succeed, but he's doing that with 5-star freshmen - not kids like Burks. Burks seems to have a lot of upside that's not too hard to envision. He needs to be developed and put in the right spots and playing time situations to build confidence, not damage it.

The positions the 5-stars are being put it to carry a team offensively, are more likely to damage their draft position than enhance it.
When is the last time Cal helped build someone’s confidence? He used to bring the best out of his players, but doesn’t seem capable anymore.

When is the last time Cal helped build someone’s confidence? He used to bring the best out of his players, but doesn’t seem capable anymore.
I don't know. I know he tries to build confidence when talking about the players, but I believe his own words from the past were that confidence has to come from demonstrated performance.

Reactions: wardlow
Everyone is going to call him a diamond in the rough even though they’ve never seen him play. He will not contribute this year.

Like him hope he's great 3 years from now. But that isn't the program cal has had or will have. He is not going to stock and develop veteran talent. This is a hail mary because he has not been doing his job.
Wouldn’t call it a Hail Mary as I don’t think the kid will be counted on for any type of production, much less major production. Cal could not have done any worse this off season in putting together a complete roster so this is nothing but getting bodies to be able to have solid practices that do not include walk-ons. No one who could knowingly come in and help us right away (upper classmen transfers) have any interest in coming here as they know cal is all in on his freshmen regardless of results. Leaves only other incoming freshmen to try and haul. Cal has made his bed and will sleep in it this time without the 2014 results.

I think he could be good. Especially long term but with his history and Ours i don’t see him sticking around

LOL. This is quite a talent evaluation that compares the kid to players as totally dissimilar as Bobby Perry, Eloy Vargas and Josh Harrelson -- who have nothing in common with each other or with Burks. I guess the point is simply that they were all three-stars ranked in roughly the same range. Like Kenneth Faried, for example. Or Damian Lillard.

If memory serves me correctly, Ja Morant wasn't even rated at all.

Skal was #1.

😲

No complaints from me about getting him. He looks like a late bloomer who's really undervalued. Problem is he probably isn't helping this year and that's still what we need. Secondary problem is, based on past history, he will likely transfer or go pro before we ever see significant contribution

At this point I’d take a 3 star fligher over any more of the 5 star McDonald’s power forwards we’ve had.

Collins, ware, Jeffries, etc were misses.

Reactions: treyforuk
LOL... your title has his name in it... You are making it about the kid.... just stop beating a dead horse to try to divert.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT