ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking: Amari Williams will remain committed to UK

What was the reason for his possible exit? Agent trying to shop for more NIL? Not happy with adding Garrison?

Reactions: NociHTTP
If he left i couldnt see too many teams wanting a player like that anyways
Agreed. It would be an unwise decision, in my opinion. If I'm a coach looking at a guy who had already left 2 schools (Drexel and UK) for what? Money, playing time, NBA exposure? And why? Because his friend didn't sign or he's afraid of competition? It's not a good look, as I said last night.

But I have a feeling I know how that conversation went with Pope, who is a smart guy and has lived long enough and played enough and coached enough to know these things, he likely told Williams that UK is gonna be his best opportunity for everything he's hoping to accomplish, and Pope would be right about that. He probably also suggested that making a knee-jerk kind of decision is often not a wise choice. Competition is gonna be everywhere, especially in the NBA. So, if he wants to improve, get stronger, and really prepare for the NBA, this team and coaching staff is gonna get him there. Keep a good attitude, work hard every day, and watch it happen.

For my part, I'm glad he's still with us. He's gonna be a big part of this team.

Last edited:
No. Must have been something to it if Pope went to visit him.
That's what I was thinking as well. The way that story came out seemed to me to be legit. I was just hoping it was overblown, but it seemed to me it was a matter of him having some second thoughts because his friend didn't sign and maybe also because we signed Brandon Garrison instead. There was something to it, even if we don't know all of the details.

Agreed. It would be an unwise decision, in my opinion. If I'm a coach looking a guy who had already left 2 schools (Drexel and UK) for what? Money, playing time, NBA exposure? And why? Because his friend didn't sign or he's afraid of competition? It's not a good look, as I said last night.

But I have a feeling I know how that conversation went with Pope, who is a smart guy and has lived long enough and played enough and coached enough to know these things, he likely told Williams that UK is gonna be his best opportunity for everything he's hoping to accomplish, and Pope would be right about that. He probably also suggested that making a knee-jerk kind of decision is often not a wise choice. Competition is gonna be everywhere, especially in the NBA. So, if he wants to improve, get stronger, and really prepare for the NBA, this team and coaching staff is gonna get him there. Keep a good attitude, work hard every day, and watch it happen.

For my part, I'm glad he's still with us. He's gonna be a big part of this team.

They CALL him.... ILL...

That's what I was thinking as well. The way that story came out seemed to me to be legit. I was just hoping it was overblown, but it seemed to me it was a matter of him having some second thoughts because his friend didn't sign and maybe also because we signed Brandon Garrison instead. There was something to it, even if we don't know all of the details.
That story came out and then there was a story about how he loved being committed to UK that came out at the same time too. It really all is pretty weird to say the least

Just a guess, but I think it appears he was really hoping we would get Osobor and when we took Garrison and then Osobor ruled us out, that didn't sit well with him. I would think Pope is satisfied this won't be an issue going forward. Otherwise, I would think he would probably let him go.

I'm sure he was having 2nd thoughts or Pope wouldn't have met with him. I imagine Pope told him
he was the presumed starter and would remain so unless he got injured or his backup outplays him.
Then he was probably asked if he'd rather play on a team without a good backup to practice against and
if he'd rather play on a team where practice and game performance didn't matter when it came to starting and minutes...and then told he could leave if he didn't want to compete and be a team player. If I were Pope I'm sure I'd have also let him know the Kentucky people would see no reason to keep the reasons secret if he decided to shop himself around.

Agreed. It would be an unwise decision, in my opinion. If I'm a coach looking a guy who had already left 2 schools (Drexel and UK) for what? Money, playing time, NBA exposure? And why? Because his friend didn't sign or he's afraid of competition? It's not a good look, as I said last night.

So the rumors were true he definitely was considering a transfer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT