ADVERTISEMENT

Brandon Garrison commits to Kentucky

It’s eye opening how snotty and entitled some are. Embarrassing

There's a large portion of our fan base that wants us to recruit exactly like Cal did, which is essentially to look at some ranking service and start with number 1 and work our way down until the roster fills up. If a kid isn't on that list, he isn't good enough. They pay no attention to how players will fit together, the concept of team play, a players desire to win or a whole host of other variables. Listen, I'd love to still get Great O. But I actually think I like Garrison's game just as much against stronger competition from what I've watched, and he has more time to offer us. Numbers aren't everything.

Ok, someone track down the poster that repeated “Garrison isn’t coming to UK without visiting” a million times yesterday
Nowhere to be found I saw that too and he was not the only one they did not think the POPE could stand up to the snake oil salesman with this kid big time boom

kaboom GIF

Reactions: KFuqua
I think the only concern as this roster takes shape is whether ultimately next years squad is an assembly of role players. Decent players but nothing special that would allow the Cats to compete at the highest level. And maybe this was inevitable in year one with little time to completely build a roster from scratch. May be however that the sum is greater than the individual parts and the combination of experience and better coaching means they can beat almost anyone.
What BYU did last year was out work its opponents. A very democratic idea. You aren’t a role player if you work harder than anyone else.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
Live look at them now:
200w.gif
Some of them are just plain stupid or trolls. They've been on social media going "you guys had a run in the 40's and 50's that's it"

I hope to goodness we can beat the ever living fecal matter out of them come this season. I don't believe in running up scores, but if we get the chance too, I hope Pope does. Show them and Cal what REAL Kentucky basketball should be.

From the Okie State website:

2023-24 (Freshman):
Freshman center went straight into the fire, appearing in all 32 games and starting each of the last 29 against a gauntlet of a veteran big men in the nation’s toughest conference… Averaged 7.5 points and 5.3 rebounds in 22.7 minutes… Ranked among the Big 12 leaders in blocks per game (5th, 1.47)… 47 total blocks were the fifth-most ever by an OSU freshman… 58.9% field goal percentage (91-of-159) was also fourth-best all-time among OSU rookies with at least 80 makes… Dunked a team-high 22 times… Ramped up his productivity during conference play, averaging 9.9 points and a team-high 5.1 rebounds in 25.8 minutes… Per KenPom, posted the league’s highest free throw rate during conference play at 71.6 (68 FTA, 95 FGA)… One of just six Big 12 freshmen (along with Eric Dailey Jr.) who were on the floor for more than half of their team’s overall minutes (56.1%)… Registered all three of his 20-point games against Big 12 competition – two of them versus nationally-ranked opponents… Scored a season-high 21 on 7-of-8 shooting to key an upset of No. 19 BYU (Feb. 17)… Scored 20 in his Big 12 debut against No. 18 Baylor without missing a shot, going 7-for-7 from the field while sinking all six of his free throw tries… Keyed a win over West Virginia (Jan. 27) with 20 points on 6-of-8 shooting… Blocked a personal-best six shots against Houston Christian (Nov. 24) and swatted five in the Big 12 Championship opener against UCF (Mar. 12)… Logged his first collegiate double-double against South Carolina State (11 points, 10 rebounds) on New Year’s Eve.

From 247:

An Oklahoma native and former McDonald's All-American, Garrison averaged 7.5 points, 5.3 rebounds, 1.5 assists, 1.5 blocks, and 0.8 steals in 22.6 minutes per game, starting 29 of 32 contests.

While he was generously listed at 6-foot-11, after measuring in at closer to 6-foot-8 in high school, Garrison provides size, length, and a sturdy interior presence. He can executive defensive coverages and offensive sets alike and is typically credited for his good awareness on both ends of the floor.

Misc:

Height: 6-11
Weight: 245

Looking at the stat lines he had a handful of great games, but also had games he barely made it into the box score. Young guy and available for three more seasons. Hope he's so good though that he is a lottery pick next season though (lol). 247 had him as a 4-star 95 grade.

I have not really seen him play much ball though personally, so I am stuck reading and wondering.
Let's put it this way -

10 and 5 on 60% fg in conference play would've made him by far our best freshman big last year, and we would've loved to have those guys back.

It isn't out of nowhere. Just because we fans don't know everything going on with UK basketball doesn't mean things haven't been in the works for a while. Pope had to take valuable time away from his recruiting to let KSR know the number of transfer portal players he is working to prevent some fans from jumping off bridges. Let the man do his job without the expectation of blow-by-blow details.

Breaking down Garrisons number in B12 play alone. Averages of 8.94 pts and 4.94 rebs at 25.47 minutes per game. A per 40 of 14.03 pts and 7.75 rebs a game as a freshman. We know how good the conference was. If the kid was at Kentucky last year and averaged that he would be off to the NBA draft this season, and we’d be begging him to stay.

Breaking down Garrisons number in B12 play alone. Averages of 8.94 pts and 4.94 rebs at 25.47 minutes per game. A per 40 of 14.03 pts and 7.75 rebs a game as a freshman. We know how good the conference was. If the kid was at Kentucky last year and averaged that he would be off to the NBA draft this season, and we’d be begging him to stay.
The kid would have been off to the NBA because of the crap that Cal fills their head with. Cal likes the ability to brag about the number of players he put in the NBA. He doesn't give a crap about these kids.

According to one of the Facebook groups, this is all on Craft. Pope had little to nothing to do with it. Garrison was going to announce for Arkansas at noon. A Craft representative , supposedly, presented a one time offer and the offer was for an immediate announcement. I don't think any of us thought Garrison would be here, but good. The level of hate that Craft has for Cal may really help us. We are going to have a good roster.
So Craft is just signing players without talking to Pope at all? Do you really believe this?

This is all I needed to read (sourced from CatsPause):

"Brandon's a McDonald's All-American and a FIBA U18 Americas gold medalist with Team USA who crushed me at BYU last year and crushed Coach [Alvin] Brooks at Baylor last year," UK head coach Mark Pope said via press release. "We're unbelievably glad he's on our team now. He's an incredible person with a brilliant, joyful smile that BBN will fall in love with. We're really excited about our front line and Brandon will be a key piece to it."

I trust the Pope/Brooks dynamic duo who both coached against the guy.

Brandon is great pick up. Young developing player with upward potential. Also, an upgrade from our bigs last year couple that with two vets and the front court is much improved vs last year.

So Craft is just signing players without talking to Pope at all? Do you really believe this?
Not really but after learning of the difficulties and differences that Calipari and Mitch experienced over the last couple of years, it makes me wonder. I just shared what was said on another UK site. I do believe that Garrison was a total surprise for everyone. No big deal, in that surprises do occur in recruiting.

My favorite part is how Mark Pope had nothing to do with it 😂
Surely a UK facebook group called ''true UK fans, no bashing no hating''. Who has members who've openly said they'd cheer for Cal over UK if he was fired, would have no agenda to say things such as 'Mark Pope had nothing to do wtih recruiting Brandon Garrison, it was all da boosters''.

Strange thing to say Pope had nothing to do with it....a little misguided hatred to the new staff already?
Somehow the Craft family is not one I would imagine involved in recruiting, other than contributing to NIL. Sounds more like something J Jones would do at Arkansas.

Reactions: RunninRichie
I'm hoping maybe this was a player the Crafts knew that Pope was after and wanted. Perhaps they caught word he was getting away and they stepped in for the assist.

He didn't say Craft signed anyone. Craft possibly made the numbers look good enough for Garrison to accept without ever taking a visit. That certainly suggest something out of the ordinary took place. The that it resulted in signing a player who Cal thought he had in the bag makes the signing even sweeter.

Last edited:
If it was truly one or the other, I do think Osobor is the better player for next year. It’s hard to be mad about getting a commitment from a former high school All-American who held his own in the Big 12 as a true freshman last year though. Assuming he keeps developing, he could be the same caliber of player in time.

The only caveat is that having 3 years of eligibility doesn’t necessarily mean he’ll use all of them here in this new unlimited transfer era, but no sense in worrying about that for now.
Respectfully ... I'd like to remind everyone that Osobor set up his last visit with the University of Washington. Do you think it's a coincidence that his coach for the last three seasons, Danny Sprinkle, is now the head coach at Washington ???
If Osobor doesn't come to Kentucky, IMHO it won't be because Coach Pope signed Garrison, or anybody else.

Going to go from scoring 90 a game and being #1 in 3 point % to being one of the best defensive teams in the nation scoring 60 a game. Just hope it is enough to win because the games won't be as nearly as enjoyable.

Oh wow one enjoyable offensive team under Cal in the last 8 seasons! Hope you either come back here next year and shove crow in your mouth or go cheer on Xavier.

Going to go from scoring 90 a game and being #1 in 3 point % to being one of the best defensive teams in the nation scoring 60 a game. Just hope it is enough to win because the games won't be as nearly as enjoyable.
The team hasn't been fully built yet and you are ready know the outcome. At this time last season, you had no idea how good that team was going to be offensively just as you don't know how good this team will be offensively.

Reactions: Ron Mehico
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT