ADVERTISEMENT

Brad White left off Top 10 Defensive Coordinator list

Good. Maybe we don't have to worry about another team poaching him. He's been very solid for UK and I hope he stays a long time. Several of those top 10 DCs coach at schools that consistently have an enormous amount of talent to work with (OSU, MI, PSU, LSU, GA, et al). Are they good - yeah. Would they put as good of a defense on the field as BW with lesser talent? Not sure that would be an automatic 'yes'.

Yeah Matt House did a good job here but more than Brad has done and for not as long at a place like UK. With the talent LSU gets it was unblievable how much they struggled the past couple years.

I wonder if Jesse Minter is Rick Minters son. Rick was here a spell. Didnt do much here but was a big time DCoordinator before that and HC at UC.

Reactions: Freetaxreturn
Yeah Matt House did a good job here but more than Brad has done and for not as long at a place like UK. With the talent LSU gets it was unblievable how much they struggled the past couple years.

I wonder if Jesse Minter is Rick Minters son. Rick was here a spell. Didnt do much here but was a big time DCoordinator before that and HC at UC.
Yes Jesse is Rick’s kid. If that Michigan D has another year like last year I’d expect him to be moving to a head coach gig. Maybe WVU if they finally decide to fire Neal

Momma says a stupid list is a stupid list

Even Ray Charles says I just can’t see it man

Fair or unfair stoops is always going to get some of the credit for any defensive play here

Good. Maybe we don't have to worry about another team poaching him. He's been very solid for UK and I hope he stays a long time. Several of those top 10 DCs coach at schools that consistently have an enormous amount of talent to work with (OSU, MI, PSU, LSU, GA, et al). Are they good - yeah. Would they put as good of a defense on the field as BW with lesser talent? Not sure that would be an automatic 'yes'.

He is, I didn't know that until I read who Jesse Minter was, Rick is now an analysis at Mich. Not impressed with him at all.

Reactions: Soupbean
Any "top 10 or whatever list" without Brad White is garbage

More ass kissing and the usual slights. Iowa and Georgia should be on that list. Michigan? Maybe but at the bottom of it. Matt House is a top 10 DC regardless of where he is.

BW has done a phenomenal job here. Should be on the list. There are probably a handful that are really good but at schools that don't move the needle in terms of wins or brand recognition (or their offense really really sucks).

The real issue with media picking this is that they will ignorantly credit TO TDs given up by an offense to that team's defense and say, in Kentucky’s case; "Brad White had a bad year last year."

They also (still) don't understand that the game is about matchups. Offensive style and depth vs defensive style and depth across the board and at key positions. They still run headlines that say "QB X duels QB Y this Saturday."

The one thing that may go against BW is recruiting. I don't know how much of the defensive recruiting is due to him, because I never hear his name mentioned in the same breath. That has more to do with the media ignoring the job he's done here, than anything imo. 2nd factor is that he's the UK DC, and 3rd is that we seem to lose an important defender nearly every single off-season for disciplinary reasons. Neither of which are things under his control as UK DC.

It's because we are Kentucky. Like Levis, BW would get more credit if he were at a "bigger" football school. We are still not taken very seriously as a program and it's been sort of gnawing at me for some time now.

Reactions: daveroh
Fair or unfair stoops is always going to get some of the credit for any defensive play here
Just as Nick Saban should get some credit for Alabama's defense. Just as Kirby Smart should get some credit for Georgia's Defense. Both Head coaches with Defensive minded backgrounds. Yeah, Will Muschamp might be a good DC, but he has to share the job. I have to think UGA's success is in large part to Kirby Smarts presence and the massive amount of five star talent. Same goes for Bama. DC's go to Bama to learn from Saban and get that career boost. It's why they have so much turnover. Saban rules the roost there.

Reactions: The-Hack
Dumb lists are worth the paper they are printed on. The facts are, with an unlimited budget, Brian Kelly's 1st choice to be LSU DC was Brad White - not Matt House. I've heard White has also shut down inquiries from other significant power programs the last 3 offseasons.

• Love
He is, I didn't know that until I read who Jesse Minter was, Rick is now an analysis at Mich. Not impressed with him at all.
Yeah I think Ricks reputation grew when he went to Notre Dame ad DC and got his head coaching job at UC because of that. He was on his downside by the time he came to UK for that one year.

Just as Nick Saban should get some credit for Alabama's defense. Just as Kirby Smart should get some credit for Georgia's Defense. Both Head coaches with Defensive minded backgrounds. Yeah, Will Muschamp might be a good DC, but he has to share the job. I have to think UGA's success is in large part to Kirby Smarts presence and the massive amount of five star talent. Same goes for Bama. DC's go to Bama to learn from Saban and get that career boost. It's why they have so much turnover. Saban rules the roost there.

Of course a good bit of the credit goes to Kirby, just as it should just the same as UK's goes to CMS, as it should.

A couple names on the list were surprising, Bama was ready to fire him, how did he make the list? I can't remember when Manny Diaz last put a good defense on the field alone with some I had to look up who they were. I think White should be there.

Everyone knows Brad White has built one of the toughest SEC defenses out of something that was far less good. That kinda answers the question, doesn't it?

Last edited:

We had a rough couple years no doubt but glad House is here. He’s somewhat of a nomad but I would love to see him stay here, players love him on D and Kelly loves his tenacity for the game and accountability on that side of the ball. People were asking me about him and I said go back and look at what he did when he was at Kentucky football and told them I got to watch them until fake Covid and he was the real deal. They love him here 🍺

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT