ADVERTISEMENT

Boom Williams

LockdownCard

Sophomore
Nov 11, 2014
I come in peace cat fans. Just was wondering what type of chip on his shoulder will he play with this season after the whole Damian Harris situation?

As the recruitment heated up as it headed to the decision it seems that Boom became sorta an afterthought...what would you guys say his approach towards the upcoming season will be?

I come in peace cat fans. Just was wondering what type of chip on his shoulder will he play with this season after the whole Damian Harris situation?

As the recruitment heated up as it headed to the decision it seems that Boom became sorta an afterthought...what would you guys say his approach towards the upcoming season will be?

I'd say Boom will come in improved and more experienced. That's about it. While Harris is a great back, he would not have fit into this offense as well as Boom, Horton, and Kemp, who can all prove to be threats in the receiving and running game. Boom especially, who is a proven playmaker in both facets. If there was any animosity drawn from the recruitment of Harris, I would say it would have little to do with how he performs. The addition of Harris would've been a spectacular addition to our recruiting efforts and our on-field performance.

Knowing that Harris would not have been able to hog all the minutes and would have been an incredible addition would, I hope, temper and feelings of ill-will Boom had. Better the team, better for all.

That being said, all reports from spring suggest that Boom has become a much better back and will perform much better this season disregarding a substantial injury. How much of that improvement is from his normal drive vs. a "chip-on-the-shoulder" type of drive, I can't say, but I honestly don't expect it to be much.

Hope this helps.

boom was gonna start this year whether harris came or not. some people wanted to anoint him them starter but i dont think guys of that caliber are afraid of comp. 3 backs in one class might scare one off but i dont think the next class scares dudes like him.

He will be playing with a chip, but not because of Harris. He will be wanting to prove he is the best back in the sec. These kids don't care about recruits coming in. They understand how this works.

I think he gets it. He's a very good back, and knows he can improve and become an monstrous back. I'm actually pretty content with next year's backfield. Boom Williams, who was one of the few RB's that carved your Cards up (A little more so than Dalvin Cook, but not close to the way that Nick Chubb did, which is fine, Chubb is going to be a contender very soon), Mikel Horton, who has lost some of that fat and should be able to produce at a higher level, and still be a load, Jojo Kemp, who has potential but needs to maintain his drive, and Sihiem King, who received All-American honors from USA Today, and scored 40 TD's in Georgia's highest division.

No doubt the Harris love shown by UK fans and coaches gave Boom a chip. Right after Harris committed to Bama, Boom was retweeting everyone saying how glad they were he was in blue and white.

No doubt the Harris love shown by UK fans and coaches gave Boom a chip. Right after Harris committed to Bama, Boom was retweeting everyone saying how glad they were he was in blue and white.

Could just be that he liked the sheer amount of love.... I can imagine him retweeting a lot of, "Can't wait to see Boom and Harris in Blue," tweets if Harris picked UK. If the fans are giving love, why not reciprocate it by retweeting?

Could just be that he liked the sheer amount of love.... I can imagine him retweeting a lot of, "Can't wait to see Boom and Harris in Blue," tweets if Harris picked UK. If the fans are giving love, why not reciprocate it by retweeting?

Maybe But it wasn't the way it felt. At least not to me. Of course we won't really know unless someone asks him.

He is going to be a very versatile player. Strength, speed and a pass catcher. With all the young skilled players about to explode and the versatility of this offense maturing Boom will be top dog who will be hard to stop.

In our league you get used to having four or five ready and normally it takes them all to contribute. We know Boom can be great but we better have another three at least that are very good also. The thought of Harris coming probably didn't cross their mind much if any because they know several will play and is just according to whoever is playing better that week. Boom knows he is going to get his carries with or without Harris. Just too good not to and according to coaches he has learned to be a more patient runner, picking holes and saving himself.

In our league you get used to having four or five ready and normally it takes them all to contribute. We know Boom can be great but we better have another three at least that are very good also. The thought of Harris coming probably didn't cross their mind much if any because they know several will play and is just according to whoever is playing better that week. Boom knows he is going to get his carries with or without Harris. Just too good not to and according to coaches he has learned to be a more patient runner, picking holes and saving himself.

I expect Boom, Sihiem King, and Mikel Horton to all contribute quite a bit. That said, most teams with good RB's did not have to dig deep in their roster. LSU used 2 mainly, Georgia used 2 mainly, Arkansas used 2 mainly, Florida used Jones most of the time, South Carolina used Davis most of the time, Mississippi State used Robinson most of the time, Alabama only really used 2.
It's a good thing to have a deep RB corps, but not necessary unless many are injury prone.

I expect Boom, Sihiem King, and Mikel Horton to all contribute quite a bit. That said, most teams with good RB's did not have to dig deep in their roster. LSU used 2 mainly, Georgia used 2 mainly, Arkansas used 2 mainly, Florida used Jones most of the time, South Carolina used Davis most of the time, Mississippi State used Robinson most of the time, Alabama only really used 2.
It's a good thing to have a deep RB corps, but not necessary unless many are injury prone.
Yeah, most of those teams have bigger and more physical backs that deliver the blows. Have read that Kemp is showing a lot of determination to get back to his old self also. Boom, Horton and Kemp should be solid. Still need another to rise.

Yeah, most of those teams have bigger and more physical backs that deliver the blows. Have read that Kemp is showing a lot of determination to get back to his old self also. Boom, Horton and Kemp should be solid. Still need another to rise.

You would be shocked. Boom is a physical specimen. More-so than Nick Chubb was going into college. Stronger in the upper body, lower body, and faster as well. Decided to look into it after I seen him drag 3 Louisville defenders (two of which were pretty big dudes) into the endzone.

the idea that we have had to play 4 rb's a whole lot most years is getting to be funny. 2007 is the last time i can remember having to go wayyy down the depth chart in the lsu game and it seemed that at least a couple guys were back after that game so we were decent the rest of the way out.

there is always a chance of bad things happening football. outside of bama, osu, uga, and maybe texas on some years.... no one has a really good 5th rb. horton is a bigger back who should be able to pound out some tough yards this year if it looks like boom and kemp are getting beat up too much.... but both those guys have gained muscle and look to be ready for the season.

I don't necessarily think that Boom has a chip or something to prove because of Harris. Taking nothing away from Damien because he was absolutely great, but I don't think Boom was scared of the competition or anything like that. Let me preface this by saying I really wanted Damien and was sad he picked Bama. Also, this isn't me saying "oh he's overrated" because he didn't pick us. In my honest opinion, I think that Boom is every bit the running back, if not a little better than Harris.

For a long time, Boom was the #1 All purpose back in America. I think he ended up as 2 or 3. Damien was listed anywhere from 1-5 in the overall running backs. This past years class was not quite as good as years past, plus factor in the competition. I love my Kentucky high school football but Georgia High school football is much better than a steady improving Kentucky High School football. Boom was great in GA HS ball. To me, that is much more impressive than dominating KY football.

That being said, there are always your Shaun Alexanders who turned out better than your Isaiah Crowell's, that prove my stance wrong. For the most part though, Georgia, Florida, Texas, and Louisiana 3 stars are generally > Kentucky 4 stars and their 4 stars are generally > our 5 stars.

I'd love to have had both, especially for depth purposes and the statement it would have made but I'm perfectly fine with Boom as our feature back. With our without Damien, this was Boom's backfield. Good luck to Damien but Boom is more than adequate for us.

Barring injury, I think we're going to see a couple of guys from UK with breakout years, one of whom being Boom.

I think Boom will take a significant step forward this year adding size, strength and experience coming off his true freshman year.

I also think Matt Elam is going to be another guy that benefits greatly from an offseason in the weight room and a year of experience in the SEC.

I know a lot of ppl seemed to expect Elam to come in and immediately dominate as a teenager playing defensive tackle in the SEC, but those expectations just weren't fair. 99% of freshman struggle playing on the defensive line in the SEC (if they even play at all).

I think we're going to see a breakout year from Elam and Boom. I also think we're going to see a breakout year from Towles where he starts to get some real national attention.

Honestly, a lot of this is going to come down to how much the offensive line improves. It was really bad last year, but Stoops and his coaches are smart guys. I think they know how much the lines (on both sides) need to improve, and I think b/c of that we're going to see a much improved team in the trenches on both sides.

I think it's being lost on a lot of ppl remembering just how significant the improvement was from year one to year two under Stoops. I remember being blown away during the first couple of games of last season at just how different the team looked since anything we'd seen since the Randall Cobb teams.

I remember watching the first few games and being blown away at just how athletic and well-coached the team looked and played, and how it was about as much of a night and day difference from one season to the next that I've ever seen a college football team have.

If we see anything even close to the same amount of improvement from year 2-3 as we saw from year 1-2, I think we're going to be shocked at just what this team can do.

Whether that translates to wins in the ultra-competitive SEC waits to be seen, but this coaching staff knows what they're doing and I do think it will translate to several more wins on the field. One thing this staff has shown is that they're good at fixing areas of weakness when they have time to work on things (like bye weeks and offseason time).

I think a lot of us are selling this team short b/c of the disappointing end to the season and history of disappointment around here (and I completely understand that), but I think this fanbase is going to be shocked at how this team comes out and looks to start next season. I think we're going to see a similar amount of improvement this offseason that we saw last offseason, and b/c of that, I think this team is going to make legitimate noise in the SEC east this season (when I say noise, I mean noise like we made during the Woodson years where we could beat any team in the nation on a given night).

I think we're going to look like a legitimate SEC team this year for the first time since the Andre Woodson years. I think we're going to be fielding one of the most athletic teams that UK has fielded in decades based on Stoops' recruiting classes and ability to develop the players he already has. This staff has brought in a different caliber of athlete to this program, and I think the one thing that held us back last year (namely depth) is a problem that will finally be remedied enough this season to where we can compete with the upper half of the SEC consistently.

Last edited:
I think the chip that Boom will always carry on his shoulder is the way Richt had him and Sonny Michel in the fold and basically recruited over Boom chasing Nick Chubb. I think he is driven by the desire to make Richt sorry for doing that. He's said on a few occasions how badly he wants to beat Georgia

Boom is a special player. I cannot wait to see his upcoming games at UK. Last year he was a beast. This year I can only think he will be even that more special. hoping for improvements from Horton as well.. Horton runs hard between the tackles and another year of conditioning and maturing of the OLINE can only prove more important for our boys. I am excited to see how JoJo reacts to the challenge as well.. King is going to be interesting get to see if he doesn't redshirt.

I felt even during the Berea kid's recruitment that barring injury Boom would have a better college career. He is much tougher than the other kid IMO. I will eat crow if he does well at Bama but my bet is the physicality at Bama will put him down on the depth chart if not off the roster in time.

Silly thread. We have been chasing the very best talent possible the last 3 classes at every single position on the football team. Why would anyone worry about Boom feeling slighted or feelings hurt because we tried to get a great player at his position? Guess every wide receiver on the team should be even more insulted, we chased elite recruits at that position up until signing day, signed 3, already have a couple more committed.

Drew Barker should be insulted as well with this logic, look at how much effort was put in & how many 2016 QB's we recruited.

Back on running backs, the common logic without any basis in fact late last year was that if we signed Harris the running back on the team who would probably leave because they might not get any carries was Kemp, not Boom. But we didn't get him, and Kemp is still here and had a great Spring. Looking forward to seeing what he does next season being used as a conventional running back and not limited to just being a trick wildcat QB.

Reactions: KYDave32

I would say the same thing considering the nasty things that Chubb did to your defense, but I was wrong in one section.

Going into college, Nick Chubb was 5'10, 211#, ran a 4.58 forty, bench pressed 330#, and squatted 525#
And also going into college, Boom Williams was 5'10, 190#, ran a 4.28 forty, bench pressed 340#, and squatted 450#

So yes, Chubb has the stronger legs, and weighed more, but~ I was right about everything else.

I would say the same thing considering the nasty things that Chubb did to your defense, but I was wrong in one section.

Going into college, Nick Chubb was 5'10, 211#, ran a 4.58 forty, bench pressed 330#, and squatted 525#
And also going into college, Boom Williams was 5'10, 190#, ran a 4.28 forty, bench pressed 340#, and squatted 450#

So yes, Chubb has the stronger legs, and weighed more, but~ I was right about everything else.

Chubb is maybe 5'11, but really about 5'10 and was 228 when he reported last June, and ran a 4.41 at the Sparq or whatever its called. He ran a 10.75 at state track championship, which was 4th in his class, timed Olympic certified timing equiptment. He also won the shot put, not a great throw well below his best of the year at 55 feet, best was over 58. I was at the state track championship saw that first hand, saw Boom win the state in 2013 as a jr run a 11.06 on the same timing system, he wasn't there last year for whatever reason.

He benched 365 and squated 590 in state weightlifting championships to break state record by over 100 total lbs in all 3 lifts they use. Your numbers for must have been from his Jr. year. Chubb will have a tough time equalling what he did as a frosh, he will be the focus of every defense we face, but really hard to imagine our passing game being any worse than last year.

The numbers are definitely outdated then. I did know that he was outstanding in track (Close friend from Georgia talked all about it all the time). One thing I'm not going to argue is that Chubb is a better back. This upcoming season, there's at least a 90% chance he'll be the best RB in college football if he stays healthy.
My point is, UK fans should not worry about the power of Boom Williams. It was sufficient last season, and he's not going to get any smaller or weaker, he's going to get bigger and stronger.
Grumpy, I would call it a safe bet that he matches, and surpasses what he did as a frosh. I know Georgia goes through great running backs like girls through a closet, but he's going to end up being the most successful back in college that UGA has had in many years.

Not that I think Chubb is a bad back or anything like that, but is Ezekial Elliott not playing football next year? I would have to think that the "best Running Back in the country" title would start with him.

Not that I think Chubb is a bad back or anything like that, but is Ezekial Elliott not playing football next year? I would have to think that the "best Running Back in the country" title would start with him.

No, he's an outstanding RB on a terrific team, but Chubb does more with less. Don't you worry, nobody forgot about him.

Reactions: BengalWACO
I'll say this..Chubb will be the best back this season and Boom will not be far behind.

Another question is how good will the uk oline be?

Williams is very good. Just the thing IMHO that separated a back like Chubb or Ezekiel Elliott etc. is that those are every down RBs and Williams probably will never be that simply because of his stature. That said, he's a very very good player and I'd take him on my team. he just ain't at the level of Nick Chubb.

I'll say this..Chubb will be the best back this season and Boom will not be far behind.

The Oline is going to be deeper than I can ever remember it being. The 2014 Oline class is on paper the best UK has signed in my lifetime (27 y/o) and their RS are coming off this year. True freshman stud George Asafo-Adjei has already jumped solidly in the rotation and can play guard or tackle. He's one of the strongest players on the team and its just a matter of mastering the protections before he starts. We have a lot of experience in the starting lineup. Some of the backups are green but more talented than anything we've had in quite some time. There'll be growing pains early for those guys but by the end of the season it's going to be one of the best units we've seen at UK in awhile. We'll have most of these guys for the next 2-4 seasons so it's only going to get better. I expect Toth (center) to be all-SEC and GAA to make the all-SEC freshman team

Last edited:

Sounds like it's much improved from the spring practices, but that really isn't saying a lot lol. The offense really didn't do bad last season, all things considered. I hear that Dawson has really calmed down Towles in the pocket, and Towles is making much better throws and decisions. Has a quicker release without losing velocity as well, so that's all a plus.
But as far as the o-line goes, it's apparently much better, especially with the addition of George Asafo-Adjei. The staff all think he's a phenomenal talent, and has the chance to crack the starting lineup as a true freshman at any of the 5 o-line spots (but likely at right tackle. Really good athlete, and excellent size at about 6'7, 320#).
I suppose all of those things considered, the offense will do much better this year. Deeper receiving corps, some game hardened RB's outside of Sihiem King, more experienced and deeper QB spot, with improvements from both, as well as an offensive coordinator known for being very good with QB's, and an improved offensive line.
Really, it sounds like there were marginal improvements at every position on the team outside of CB on defense, where there are very slight improvements. Staff expects one the freshmen coming in (with a possibility of two, but most likely being Derrick Baity) to start. There will be a push at least on that side of the ball. This previous recruiting class was deep with perimeter players on both sides of the ball.

Williams is very good. Just the thing IMHO that separated a back like Chubb or Ezekiel Elliott etc. is that those are every down RBs and Williams probably will never be that simply because of his stature. That said, he's a very very good player and I'd take him on my team. he just ain't at the level of Nick Chubb.

That's about where I'm at. I really didn't like the way that Brown used Boom (he had like 74 carries on the season or something like that, and he was far and away UK's best RB). Seems like he put in a significantly less productive Braylon Heard, or Jojo Kemp at inopportune times. I like Boom's style because he's a true scat back with a lot of power, and that's really why I like Sihiem King, who Shannon Dawson brought to UK.
Kid is incredibly low ranked, but received All-American honors along with Damien Harris, Soso Jamabo, Ke'Shawn Vaughn, and Jacques Patrick at the RB position, and won Georgia offensive player of the year, scoring 40 TD's this past season in Georgia's highest division. Really quick, excellent cutbacks and vision, uses his speed, leverage, and low center of gravity to break quite a few tackles despite only weighing around 180# (as of about 3 months ago).
I just think Dawson's playcalling and choice of RB's will make me happier as a fan.

The numbers are definitely outdated then. I did know that he was outstanding in track (Close friend from Georgia talked all about it all the time). One thing I'm not going to argue is that Chubb is a better back. This upcoming season, there's at least a 90% chance he'll be the best RB in college football if he stays healthy.
My point is, UK fans should not worry about the power of Boom Williams. It was sufficient last season, and he's not going to get any smaller or weaker, he's going to get bigger and stronger.
Grumpy, I would call it a safe bet that he matches, and surpasses what he did as a frosh. I know Georgia goes through great running backs like girls through a closet, but he's going to end up being the most successful back in college that UGA has had in many years.

I am not going to say Chubb is a better back, I like Boom a lot, they are different backs with a different set of skills, Boom is a better receiver, better outside runner, better at making people miss, Chubb has tremendous power and balance and better at breaking tackles. Both make good cuts, have great vision. By saying one is better at certain things I am not saying the other isn't good at those things because both are good at just about anything you want a back to do, just one is better at some things and the other is better at other things.

[QUOTE="gossie21, post: 1593288, member: 3504"]Not that I think Chubb is a bad back or anything like that, but is Ezekial Elliott not playing football next year? I would have to think that the "best Running Back in the country" title would start with him.[/QUOTE]

I would take Chubb's 7.2 ypc and not look back at Eliiot who had a 6.7 ypc. Chubb faced 8 and 9 men in the box every snap because our qb couldn't or wouldn't throw the ball downfield. Several elite backs in the country, who you think is the best will be determined by what type running back you like.

I
I am not going to say Chubb is a better back, I like Boom a lot, they are different backs with a different set of skills, Boom is a better receiver, better outside runner, better at making people miss, Chubb has tremendous power and balance and better at breaking tackles. Both make good cuts, have great vision. By saying one is better at certain things I am not saying the other isn't good at those things because both are good at just about anything you want a back to do, just one is better at some things and the other is better at other things.

I will say Chubb is a better back. That kid couldn't be stopped when everybody knew he was getting the handoff and the hole would open up and he just plowed through opponents like the Juggernaut does.
However I would love to see Boom play behind Georgia's OL. I think both guys are def pros in the making.

Chubb is maybe 5'11, but really about 5'10 and was 228 when he reported last June, and ran a 4.41 at the Sparq or whatever its called. He ran a 10.75 at state track championship, which was 4th in his class, timed Olympic certified timing equiptment. He also won the shot put, not a great throw well below his best of the year at 55 feet, best was over 58. I was at the state track championship saw that first hand, saw Boom win the state in 2013 as a jr run a 11.06 on the same timing system, he wasn't there last year for whatever reason.

He benched 365 and squated 590 in state weightlifting championships to break state record by over 100 total lbs in all 3 lifts they use. Your numbers for must have been from his Jr. year. Chubb will have a tough time equalling what he did as a frosh, he will be the focus of every defense we face, but really hard to imagine our passing game being any worse than last year.

I agree Grumpy. Chubb is going to be a VERY SPECIAL player for many years to come.. That being said, Boom is no slouch either, but with all due respect, he is not (currently if ever) as highly touted as Chubb.. It is close IMO, Williams is a BAD MAN, but NIck Chubb is a guy many have compared to Hershel Walker. Large, Quick, Explosive and an every down back. I might eat my words, but I believe Chubb will do more impressive things than Gurley.

I agree Grumpy. Chubb is going to be a VERY SPECIAL player for many years to come.. That being said, Boom is no slouch either, but with all due respect, he is not (currently if ever) as highly touted as Chubb.. It is close IMO, Williams is a BAD MAN, but NIck Chubb is a guy many have compared to Hershel Walker. Large, Quick, Explosive and an every down back. I might eat my words, but I believe Chubb will do more impressive things than Gurley.

I been a fan of Boom's a long time, he is a very good player. I hated to see UGA and him go in different directions, but honestly it was the best decision for him at the time. But when Boom commiitted to UGA he was about 150, he got to around 180 in HS and looks much thicker now. UK's offense is much better for Boom than UGA's, or was at that time. Who knew he was going to bulk up like he did? He could be successful in our offense but UK's showcases his skills much better.

As for Cubb being better than Gurley, he has a good start at topping his stats. Gurley is a little faster, or was before the knee injury. Chubb is the hardest worker on our team, during spring break, instead of heading to the beach, he went home and worked out all week with his former HS team, right beside his former teammates. He seems almost embarasassed by the attention he gets. After every TD last year he found an official and handed the ball to him.

Super impressed with Chubb, and he seems to be a class act, getting pretty rare these days. I hope he has a great game eleven times in the regular season, and three times in the post season.

Super impressed with Chubb, and he seems to be a class act, getting pretty rare these days. I hope he has a great game eleven times in the regular season, and three times in the post season.
This...the chubb kid was all class, no showboating at all. The kid handled his business on the field and carried himself like a pro.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT