ADVERTISEMENT

Booker is a big fan of UK hiring Mark Pope

He’s embellishing with the description a bit there. Booker’s actual comments acknowledged that “he doesn’t know much about” Pope, but expressed that he seems like a good fit due to Lexington/UK ties and has his full support.

That sounds more like someone diplomatically trying to say the right thing than declaring himself “a big fan.”

He’s embellishing with the description a bit there. Booker’s actual comments acknowledged that “he doesn’t know much about” Pope, but expressed that he seems like a good fit due to Lexington/UK ties and has his full support.

That sounds more like someone diplomatically trying to say the right thing than declaring himself “a big fan.”
Smart man.

Booker does support and follow UK every season though. I’m sure he will keep doing it.

(Just go with it)

One way I think that UK can reach out and foster a continuing positive relationship with these guys is to continue to work with them on completing their degrees. It’s something that I think they would all be proud of….probably have to include a lot of online course exceptions.

Booker could have simply said nothing if his comment wasn't sincere. It seems like we have polite recruits and former players who are now diplomates. I am amazed at how some of you are so willing to dismiss everything recruits and former players say as just being polite after the departure of Cal. When Cal was here, you guys never questioned anything positive from recruits.

Last edited:
One way I think that UK can reach out and foster a continuing positive relationship with these guys is to continue to work with them on completing their degrees. It’s something that I think they would all be proud of….probably have to include a lot of online course exceptions.
Unlike all the other coaches considered, Pope is a UK alum just as the players who were coached by Cal. I believe that means something to those players.

Certainly better than Big Cuz’s response that KY would now become irrelevant while Arkansas becomes the “it” program. And I say that as a big fan of his.

Certainly better than Big Cuz’s response that KY would now become irrelevant while Arkansas becomes the “it” program. And I say that as a big fan of his.
I never considered Cousins as someone playing with a full deck. Why so much concern about what Cal players think? I don't recall hearing about any large donations made to the school by any of them. Why didn't they help with Cal's NIL requests. Maybe his players were a lot like Cal, all talk.

Last edited:
Reactions: ralphdaltonfan
I like Booker and am glad he supports Pope and the program. He is one who I felt like wasn’t used right, I thought Booker should have had more playing time while he was here. I know we were loaded but he has been tearing it up since he got to the league. He’s all class, even though he didn’t play as much as some wanted him to, he shows no ill will towards his former coach.

I never considered Cousin as someone playing with a full deck. Why so much concern about what Cal players think? I don't recall hearing about any large donations made to the school by any of them. Why didn't they help with Cal's NIL requests. Maybe his players were a lot like Cal, all talk.
I'm sure that's true about some of them but a lot of players played for Cal. Some were closer to Cal than others (and Boogie was one of those)and I'm fairly sure they don't operate on a hive mind. Like any group that large there will be a range of character among them; some will be fine people and some will be world class aholes. That's just the way things work.

I'm sure that's true about some of them but a lot of players played for Cal. Some were closer to Cal than others (and Boogie was one of those)and I'm fairly sure they don't operate on a hive mind. Like any group that large there will be a range of character among them; some will be fine people and some will be world class aholes. That's just the way things work.
I agree. I am just trying to understand what UK gain or lose if they don't support Mark Pope. They played at Kentucky prior to going to the NBA. That is a fact that will never change no matter where Kal is coaching.

I never considered Cousin as someone playing with a full deck. Why so much concern about what Cal players think? I don't recall hearing about any large donations made to the school by any of them. Why didn't they help with Cal's NIL requests. Maybe his players were a lot like Cal, all talk.
You can be crazy, and still be a diehard UK fan. My husband knows.

You can be crazy, and still be a diehard UK fan. My husband knows.
I am not suggesting you can't be crazy and still be a fan. However, I am saying that I am not aware of anything Cousins has done for UK since leaving that will be missed because he doesn't like our new coach. Basically, I am more concerned about Kentucky present and future than the past.

Last edited:
I’m sure former players will feel included unlike the past decade or so….
what are you talking about?
hate Cal all you want but for the most part he always welcomed former players back
now Pitino and BCG were a different story

When you actually play or coach sports it's more complicated. You still may have a favorite team, but you tend to lose some of the dislike for other teams due to knowing so many other players and coaches in the business.

Guys can 100% still love Cal while also loving UK. People got way to worked up about a few former players comments. They will all level out and be fine. If some thought they attended Cal University instead of UK then they can continue to support Cal university over UK. F*ck'em.

This is why I was so glad that video posted in another thread was sure to include players from the last 15 years. Regardless how you feel about their coach they ARE still part of the BBN.
The ones from that era who have spoken in a positive way could have remained silent. But they didn’t and I’m sure it’s not simple politeness
I’d welcome each and every one of them back, including Cousins

BS. I know several that have told me that. And I don’t hate Cal. I just think he did a lousy job his last few years.
i know several that say differently
did Cal ever put any former players on the staff that played for another coach
name another coach at UK that did that

love or hate Cal, he never blackballed former players and coaches like a couple of others did

i know several that say differently
did Cal ever put any former players on the staff that played for another coach
name another coach at UK that did that

love or hate Cal, he never blackballed former players and coaches like a couple of others did
lol. One of the former players on Cal’s staff was one of the guys who told me.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
what are you talking about?
hate Cal all you want but for the most part he always welcomed former players back
now Pitino and BCG were a different story
Welcoming former players back isn't the same as finding a way to include them on your staff. Cal's track record for grooming former players for coaching is abysmal. I don't know of a former player from any of his coaching stints to ever become a productive head coach. That isn't a good look for a Hall of Fame coach.

I appreciate the diplomatic answer. Maybe he knows that the fan base will still support him if he doesn't go out of the way to show he was just a "Cal guy". They do that with the title of everything these days, that's why i wait for the good people here to fill me in a few replies in to anything like this.

I try to get him excited in the games. He's never been to a basketball game. He really enjoyed Pope's press conference. I grew up with close family members who are fans, maybe it just takes a long time to get into it.
Luckily mine IS already a fan
But he’s not the stand up screaming at the refs kind of guy. That’s my job 🤣
But he does really get into the game…
Just a little more quietly than me

SIAP but isn't Cody Toppert the former Suns Assistant that Memphis talked up as helping develop Devin Booker when he joined Penny's Staff? If so-he's rumored to be a very serious candidate to join Mark Pope's staff and that would get Booker's endorsement for certain.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT