ADVERTISEMENT

Billy Napier

You need to look again

If they hit on a QB. They are back almost full throttle
Mertz is back next year.
Arky isn't nearly as bad as their record shows. They lost to both LSU and Alabama by 3 points, lost to Ole Miss by 7 and MSU by 4. I was not surprised to see this win for them.
Ark lot in life is playing in the west right now. That’s a team that is probably looking forward to the more random version of the sec schedule we are going to see in future years

Okay, i know he’s only in his 2nd year at Florida — but I have to assume this loss to a 2-6 Arkansas team at home is a real problem for him.

I’m sure they’ve all been less than impressed, it hasn’t been a great first couple years. But you give a guy some time to get his guys recruited and his system established. But man if you’re Florida football, you have to be feeling like SHIT today. You just lost at home to a 2-6 team. They’re probably ready to run that guy out.
This is why he'll back for another year,

https://n.rivals.com/team_rankings/2024/all-teams/football/recruiting

Yep…dude went to the Peach, Cotton and Orange bowl in his first 3 years. He struggles in year 4 and they can him before the season ends.

They had 2 of the best coaches in college football in the past 50 years. They might be looking awhile to find that again.
Mullen quit recruiting. I read he started spending less time at the facilities.

In no order per se:

Bama
ND
Michigan
USC
OSU
Oklahoma
Miami
*Nebraska (but that's debatable considering they haven't been even remotely relevant in 30 years)
LSU
Auburn
Texas
Florida

I'd say that's a more attractive job than Nebraska for sure. So, I'll retract that a bit. But it's definitely a Top 15 job.
Nebraska, lol, maybe 25 years ago.

Reactions: Girthang
Mertz is back next year.

Ark lot in life is playing in the west right now. That’s a team that is probably looking forward to the more random version of the sec schedule we are going to see in future years
I think the West is maybe one team better than the East right now but it's not as one sided as it was in the past.

Most believe the AD is tied to Napier . If next yr stinks , they axe both ! AD won’t get a third football hire

In no order per se:

Bama
ND
Michigan
USC
OSU
Oklahoma
Miami
*Nebraska (but that's debatable considering they haven't been even remotely relevant in 30 years)
LSU
Auburn
Texas
Florida

I'd say that's a more attractive job than Nebraska for sure. So, I'll retract that a bit. But it's definitely a Top 15 job.
As stated earlier

Notre dame aside. If you’re not in big10 or sec..you’re not a top job going forward

Nebraska And Miami are not in that category

I’d rate
Bama
Ohio st
Michigan
Georgia
Texas
Lsu
USC
Florida
Notre dame
Auburn
Texas am
Tennessee
Penn st
Oklahoma

I can’t imagine any ACC schools cracking this list until they officially leave ther conference

As stated earlier

Notre dame aside. If you’re not in big10 or sec..you’re not a top job going forward

Nebraska And Miami are not in that category

I’d rate
Bama
Ohio st
Michigan
Georgia
Texas
Lsu
USC
Florida
Notre dame
Auburn
Texas am
Tennessee
Penn st
Oklahoma

I can’t imagine any ACC schools cracking this list until they officially leave ther conference
Penn St is coming back a bit, but that scandal killed the innocence of that program. But it's recovering.

Miami still had money and name draw. They just can't find a decent coach, and that may be due to the ACC starting to crack. But it's still a historically known football factory.

Nebraska is still historically known but as I said, they have not been relevant in 30 years. and I don't see that changing. There's jsut nothing to draw anyone of caliber there. Who wants to go there when they don't produced titles, NFL talent on a large scale, and it's in the middle of basically nowhere.

Reactions: Deeeefense
I mean, here are the national rankings for his yesrs at UF:

2021 - 10th
2020 - 7th
2019 - 8th

That’s pretty good for no recruiting.
Like UK basketball, you have to compete for SEC and National Titles at UF. Mullen just wasn't doing that at a consistent level.

Penn St is coming back a bit, but that scandal killed the innocence of that program. But it's recovering.

Miami still had money and name draw. They just can't find a decent coach, and that may be due to the ACC starting to crack. But it's still a historically known football factory.

Nebraska is still historically known but as I said, they have not been relevant in 30 years. and I don't see that changing. There's jsut nothing to draw anyone of caliber there. Who wants to go there when they don't produced titles, NFL talent on a large scale, and it's in the middle of basically nowhere.

Very true. And there is a difference between top 10 going forward and overall factoring n all time history.

The sec and big 10 are going to rule future modern college football. I'm still not sure it doesn't become an afc vs nfc type deal at some point like the nfl.

Very true. And there is a difference between top 10 going forward and overall factoring n all time history.

The sec and big 10 are going to rule future modern college football. I'm still not sure it doesn't become an afc vs nfc type deal at some point like the nfl.
It will. It will just be east and west divisions, especially with it potentially going to 12 team playoff.

Florida State?

2021 - 10th
2020 - 7th
2019 - 8th

They may have been 8th in the nation in 2019, but that’s still only 5th in the SEC.

I suspect it’s Florida’s ranking versus other SEC members that may have been behind some of Florida fans’ angst around recruiting. If you look at the time frame from 2006-2013, Florida almost always had a recruiting class ranked first or second in the SEC.

Reactions: bthaunert
I think the West is maybe one team better than the East right now but it's not as one sided as it was in the past.
It's hard for me to say one with SC and vandy both in the east and uf losing at home to arky, but i guess at this point it won't matter anyway since divisional scheduling is gone.

Look at their recruiting class man

It’s been 15 yrs since they have seen a class like that, but yes, if not for that, they would pop him out

With today's rules nothhin% is final, but very likely several members
M
Okay, i know he’s only in his 2nd year at Florida — but I have to assume this loss to a 2-6 Arkansas team at home is a real problem for him.

I’m sure they’ve all been less than impressed, it hasn’t been a great first couple years. But you give a guy some time to get his guys recruited and his system established. But man if you’re Florida football, you have to be feeling like SHIT today. You just lost at home to a 2-6 team. They’re probably ready to run that guy out.

I know Billy on a personal level, there is no better man in the SEC. I HATED seeing him go to UF. he is a super good guy and i hope Ki we by finds a spot for him when UF let's him go. He would be a top 3 recruiter on UGA's staff and could be higher. Unlike Mullen who felt he was the smartest guy in the room, Billy most likely is. But right now he is the enemy, I really hope if things go south at UF that Kirby is able to bring him on staff at some position

Miami had a great 20 year run but historically they are much closer to what they are now than what they were in 80's and 90's.

I'm inclined to agree. They are teetering on Nebraska territory unless they turn it about. No excuse for Miami to be that bad.

I thought Cristobol would get them going in the right direction, but he has made some head scratching decisions that lost at least 1 game. But unlike Nebraska Miami can win a NC and never sign a kid outside a 25 mile radius, Nebraska couldn't field a D1 team.

I thought Cristobol would get them going in the right direction, but he has made some head scratching decisions that lost at least 1 game. But unlike Nebraska Miami can win a NC and never sign a kid outside a 25 mile radius, Nebraska couldn't field a D1 team.
Nebraska has some challenges being in a small state. But I still think their biggest problem has been some bad coaching hires. They’ve been playing in the B1G West. I find it hard to believe that a competently led Nebraska program can’t be competitive in a division with Wisconsin, Iowa, Purdue, Northwestern, etc.

Reactions: EKCAT4YRS
Nebraska has some challenges being in a small state. But I still think their biggest problem has been some bad coaching hires. They’ve been playing in the B1G West. I find it hard to believe that a competently led Nebraska program can’t be competitive in a division with Wisconsin, Iowa, Purdue, Northwestern, etc.

I know Billy, he played for me back in the day, his dad was one of my best friends. I hated seeing him go to UF. But it's big boy football Billy knee that. Great guy and if it goes south for him at UF, i hope Kirby is able to add him to our staff. But it will work itself out. But I really like Billy Napier as a human being.

People over 35 yrs old think of Miami as the dominant team in mid 80‘s-90’s. Miami barely had a 500 record before 1980 and have had one 10 win season in the last twenty years. (Similar to Fla State before Bowden.)

They had a great run for 10-12 years. (Just about as dominant as any program can have.).

They struggled before that run, and they have struggled since. Like other Florida teams, it’s amazing those 3 programs have struggled. There’s probably more hs football talent concentrated in that state than just about anywhere. Texas is a large state and may produce similar # of players. But, the Miami/Dade greater region produces a boat load of players.

Fla State seems to finally be on the right course. But, Fla, Miami, and Fla State have all struggled the last decade.

Not sure I agree it's a top 10 all time job. They won 3 national titles from 96 to 2008. They killed it with Spurrier and urb for like a 20 year stretch, minus the Zook era, but idk if they are top 10 all time.

Alabama, lsu and uga probably top them n the sec. Osu, ND, Oklahoma, Michigan, Texas, usc, Nebraska, Miami, etc.

Don't get me wrong, They are probably top 10 modern era for sure but idk about all time. It's open to debate though.

UF didn't have an SEC title until SOS came along. The actually won one around 85 but had to vacate because of some misdeeds by their coach, Charlie Pell.

UF didn't have an SEC title until SOS came along. The actually won one around 85 but had to vacate because of some misdeeds by their coach, Charlie Pell.
Charlie Pell was a UK asst under Bradshaw early in his coaching career. Met him while he was recruiting a HS classmate of mine. Thought he was very personable, nice guy. Was also a poster boy for untreated or delayed in treated depression, although that came later. A tragic figure who could've been a top notch HC.

Reactions: EKCAT4YRS

Nebraska has no recruiting base. They hit Texas hard prior to leaving whatever it was called then, but once they stopped playing the Texas schools they lost that stronghold. Those kids that use to go to NU are now going in 20 different directions. Combine that with all the bad hires and they just weren't attractive to kids. FWIW, I was dead wrong on Scott Frost too, I thought he would use his Florida connections and hit Florida hard for recruits.

Reactions: gojvc
Nebraska has no recruiting base. They hit Texas hard prior to leaving whatever it was called then, but once they stopped playing the Texas schools they lost that stronghold. Those kids that use to go to NU are now going in 20 different directions. Combine that with all the bad hires and they just weren't attractive to kids. FWIW, I was dead wrong on Scott Frost too, I thought he would use his Florida connections and hit Florida hard for recruits.
You're right, once Neb lost the Texas recruiting angle they were cooked. that and steroid dependency during the Devaney/Osborne eras. Going to be tough for them to regain lost ground.

Re Frost, he along with Justin Fuente have entered "hasbeen" status. Knocking on that door is Baylor's Dave Aranda. Baylor was 6-7 last year, are 3-6 to date, don't see Aranda lasting much longer. Was a top flight DC at Wisconsin and LSU, Aranda may be one of those guys who's not cut out to be a HC. Aranda will resurface as somebody's DC if he is canned.

Mullen quit recruiting. I read he started spending less time at the facilities.
I think this is what I remember too. He basically trended downward every year. Classes weren't as strong. The kill shot was the loss at Mizzou when Mizzou went for 2 and got it on some sort of tricky conversion play.

All things said and considered, I bet they'd trade Napier for Mullen right now. But I also believe they're one really good QB away from being damned good. Their talent is solid, they just don't have a QB.

Reactions: satcheluk
You're right, once Neb lost the Texas recruiting angle they were cooked. that and steroid dependency during the Devaney/Osborne eras. Going to be tough for them to regain lost ground.

Re Frost, he along with Justin Fuente have entered "hasbeen" status. Knocking on that door is Baylor's Dave Aranda. Baylor was 6-7 last year, are 3-6 to date, don't see Aranda lasting much longer. Was a top flight DC at Wisconsin and LSU, Aranda may be one of those guys who's not cut out to be a HC. Aranda will resurface as somebody's DC if he is canned.

I wasn't going to mention the PED usage going on there, but it was massive. All their OL looked just alike.

Muschamp isn't a good head coach bit a strong DC. Lots of guys can't make that jump.

I wasn't going to mention the PED usage going on there, but it was massive. All their OL looked just alike.

Muschamp isn't a good head coach bit a strong DC. Lots of guys can't make that jump.
Re Muschamp, agreed. Can add guys like Chavas/Chow too. Great assts who didn't want a HC job. Chow eventually took Hawaii job but bombed quickly.

2021 - 10th
2020 - 7th
2019 - 8th

He had some good coaches grinding, but he was criticized for his apathy to and eventually pretty obvious disdain for that aspect of his job. The feeling was that if he personally put more effort in to it, then they would have been with Bama and UGA on top of the league.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT