ADVERTISEMENT

Big Z Meeting with Pope Monday!!

Please! Let’s not start referring to Rupp as the vatican or anything else to do with that child abusing organization!
It’s all in good fun but I agree they have had some messed up things and for a leader of massive church of Christ the Pope really promotes his own agenda and things strictly forbidden in the Bible.

As far as a starting group goes, Perry is the only one not good enough to help us win an SEC title.

Swap Perry with another really experienced guard in the portal and that's a super talented starting 5 IMO
For popes offense theiro would be hard guy to play since he isn’t a great shooter. I like theiro and he can for sure improve but I agree. Dubar would be who I want at the four

• Love
Reactions: mattrudd
The 5 out offense Pope runs that requires some ball skills out of the Center is tailor made for Big Z!!!!

I would be shocked if he didn’t prefer Coach Pope’s offense to Cal’s.

Hope he stays.
Welch left as soon as the final whistle blew, tells me that he was under appreciated on Cal’s staff even as the only member doing anything for last years team to succeed, including the head coach.

Without Welch and with the same staff + Brad, Arkansas is in for some 10-15 loss seasons.

Hopefully Big Z trusts Pope more than the used car salesman that benched him behind Ugo all season.

If I’m pope I talk with Z about how he was utilized in Cals system last year with the tape he has seen vs how he would be used in popes system with some film breakdown from byu for visual reference. Last several games Z played last year he wouldn’t even look at the basket from up top and we all know why.

Perry is a great bench piece, my concern with theiro is popes system needs everybody being shooters, theiro is not that at all but it is a decent lineup
Popes system also creates a lot of driving lanes and backdoor cuts which Theiro would thrive in. Theiro is not a volume shooter but shoots it well enough to be a part of popes rotation.

Perry is a great bench piece, my concern with theiro is popes system needs everybody being shooters, theiro is not that at all but it is a decent lineup
Theiro shoots well enough, and he can guard 2-5, he’s great for ANY systems. I hope we get him back.

Perry also isn’t a bench player. He’s a walking bucket that isn’t a 5 star because he’s 2 inches too short and doesn’t have an explosive vertical. Perry will be a fantastic college player.

The star rating system is really a rating of how the players are as NBA prospects, not really of how well they’re going to do in college.

Perry is a player day 1, starter, borderline star.

Edit: in case this post isn’t clear I don’t give a damn about the NBA, or what the NBA scouts think an NBA player is, Perry is going to ball out here and I love him already. C A T S.

Popes system also creates a lot of driving lanes and backdoor cuts which Theiro would thrive in. Theiro is not a volume shooter but shoots it well enough to be a part of popes rotation.
Yes but those driving lanes open up because everybody is a shooting threat and in constant motion, adous defender can sag off and make things difficult

Theiro shoots well enough, and he can guard 2-5, he’s great for ANY systems. I hope we get him back.

Perry also isn’t a bench player. He’s a walking bucket that isn’t a 5 star because he’s 2 inches too short and doesn’t have an explosive vertical. Perry will be a fantastic college player.

The star rating system is really a rating of how the players are as NBA prospects, not really of how well they’re going to do in college.

Perry is a player day 1, starter, borderline star.

Edit: in case this post isn’t clear I don’t give a damn about the NBA, or what the NBA scouts think an NBA player is, Perry is going to ball out here and I love him already. C A T S.
Perry isn’t a starter right away, I like the kid and he is good but he isn’t a Reed Sheppard clone. His situation is alot different than what reeds was.

Reactions: bookerfan66
We need to give ourselves some props as a fanbase. We went from universally being furious when the hire was announced, to absolutely showing out today when it mattered most. You know recruits are gonna see what happened today and it will only help us going forward
We were not universally furious. I wasn’t. There were lots on here surprised but not “furious” and many of us who said. “OK Pope it is. Let’s go!!”

Perry isn’t a starter right away, I like the kid and he is good but he isn’t a Reed Sheppard clone. His situation is alot differently than what reeds was.
Reed wasn’t a starter wtf are you talking about. Perry is good enough to start in a Pope offense.

He’s like the prototype player you’d create in a lab for a Pope offense.

You people need to get over your Cal PTSD with your star ratings and expecting Kentucky’s all time leading scorer to not be good in college just because a hapless X/O coach like Cal wouldn’t have a clue how to use a player like him.

That’s done. Get over your PTSD of thinking we need 7 McDonalds All Americans to win 25 games here. That’s done.

Reed wasn’t a starter wtf are you talking about. Perry is good enough to start in a Pope offense.

He’s like the prototype player you’d create in a lab for a Pope offense.

You people need to get over your Cal PTSD with your star ratings and expecting Kentucky’s all time leading scorer to not be good in college just because a hapless X/O coach like Cal wouldn’t have a clue how to use a player like him.

That’s done. Get over your PTSD of thinking we need 7 McDonalds All Americans to win 25 games here. That’s done.
Where did I say Reed wasn’t a starter at? How is that your interpretation from that. I’m saying Perry isn’t a starter, Perry isn’t as versatile as Sheppard was, and can’t do the things Sheppard did. Perry is a good offensive player that needs a little time. He can still contribute next year but his situation isn’t what Sheppard was. As for the PTSD, I have one of the loudest cal haters on here, and I’ve been in favor of pope, I really like like the hire.

The 5 out offense Pope runs that requires some ball skills out of the Center is tailor made for Big Z!!!!

I would be shocked if he didn’t prefer Coach Pope’s offense to Cal’s.

Hope he stays.
You are totally correct catben. Z is a great passer and can learn from Khalifi (sp?)

Reactions: catben
Still think it is very important for Pope to have a few of his players come. Hall, Richmond, Waterman and one or two more so we have a smoother offense transition. Plus, those guys can play and are older.

Where did I say Reed wasn’t a starter at? How is that your interpretation from that. I’m saying Perry isn’t a starter, Perry isn’t as versatile as Sheppard was, and can’t do the things Sheppard did. Perry is a good offensive player that needs a little time. He can still contribute next year but his situation isn’t what Sheppard was. As for the PTSD, I have one of the loudest cal haters on here, and I’ve been in favor of pope, I really like like the hire.
You seed Perry isn’t a starter because he isn’t like Reed.

I said Reed wasn’t a starter. Work on your reading comprehension.

You think you don’t suffer from Calipari PTSD but you do if you think Perry isn’t an offensive firework that can start year one under Pope just because he’s the 73rd player instead of one of Cal’s fancy 5 stars.

In fact, I think Perry would be more competent in Pope’s system than a sophomore fancy 5 star 3rd ranked in his class DJ Wagner would be. I think Perry would outperform Wagner right out of the gates even if we kept Wagner.

Reactions: tomrain
Pope was a big when he played cbb and NBA. Big Z is a big. Maybe I am wrong but I believe I could relate better with a coach who played my position. Cal was better with guards than bigs. But maybe not. He might see Cal getting him to the NBA quicker.

Reactions: plumdog69
Oh that’s actually really interesting. I didn’t think we had a shot to get him back. Figured he was done with Cal but also tired of Lexington since sometimes you relate things mentally. Assumed he’d get closer to wherever home is and go to his “hometown university” or something.

But he made a huge difference last season in the games that he got his due run…. Game changer…does the dirty work. Cal just preferred other dudes

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT