ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball innovators and Kentucky. It should be Oats

TucsonCat

Sophomore
Sep 10, 2022
*Joe B Hall was one of the early advocates of weight training.
Rick Pitino jumped on full court press and 3 point shooting at multiple positions.
Cal had the dribble drive and roster management in one and done.

That's why I think Oats is the next best fit. 3 point shooting or layups and use of analytics. Coaches who come to Kentucky succeed and change the game. Make your name as a winner and a disruptor.

(*Don't need a list of Juco coaches who did any of these first. Columbus wasn't first either, but hes the one with a day named after him.)

Hell, add Mumme on the football side—basically the father of what football is today at all levels—and we’re a “Cradle of Innovators”

You're not worried about him? I think he is a petty narcissist. Showed a lack of judgement playing a guy who brought a gun to a murder and then had the stones to say he was in the wrong place at the wrong time. LOL. What a clown.

We really only have a handful of solid choices to replace Cal at Kentucky. You can't go low after having a national championship, Final Four HOF coach (yes, I know he has sucked since 2020, but he's still an upper echelon coaching name).

1. Hurley
2. Oates
3. Wright

There just aren't any others worthy of taking this on. Oates just took Bama to the FF, is young and hungry. We can talk all day about "up and comers" and "anyone is better than Cal", but the fact remains we need one of the above three - there are no other options that won't be perceived by some of our fanbase as complete dud hires.

Two things worry me about Oats. #1 Their defense sucked just like ours.
#2 he brought his team in here this season and tried to run with the Cats. That played right to our strengths, I couldn’t believe he did it and we easily won. I understand that’s his style though uptempo. But you have to be able to adapt and have a post presence so you’re not 100% dependent on outside shooting. Teams that slowed us down gave us fits.
All of that being said I’ll take him over Cal next season. Just don’t give him a one sided lifetime contract that we can’t get out of.

You're not worried about him? I think he is a petty narcissist. Showed a lack of judgement playing a guy who brought a gun to a murder and then had the stones to say he was in the wrong place at the wrong time. LOL. What a clown.
He's not perfect. Don't think any coach is going to be perfect. But, if you look at what he's done at a football school. Completely turned Bama around over the past several years. Plays the type of style we love. Smart and uses analytics. Worth the risk IMHO.

We really only have a handful of solid choices to replace Cal at Kentucky. You can't go low after having a national championship, Final Four HOF coach (yes, I know he has sucked since 2020, but he's still an upper echelon coaching name).

1. Hurley
2. Oates
3. Wright

There just aren't any others worthy of taking this on. Oates just took Bama to the FF, is young and hungry. We can talk all day about "up and comers" and "anyone is better than Cal", but the fact remains we need one of the above three - there are no other options that won't be perceived by some of our fanbase as complete dud hires.
The "young and hungry" can't be stated enough. It's a great point. Think he will be able to take that next step and knows he could do it at UK. Obviously would love Hurley or Wright but doubt those are legit options. Oats seems fairly realistic and would be a great hire IMHO.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT