ADVERTISEMENT

Bands you used to listen to a lot but almost never listen to now

gamecockcat

All-SEC
Oct 29, 2004
Cheap Trick - wore holes in both Budokan and Dream Police; I've got maybe 5 of their songs in my 1000+ Spotify favorites but just as likely to ignore/skip when any of them come on as listen
REM - saw them in concert twice (very good), had all of their first 4 or 5 albums which were in heavy rotation on my turntable; have maybe 10 songs in my Spotify list; still like those 10 but that's about it
U2 - had all of their albums up to Achtung Baby and listened to them a ton; probably couldn't name more than 3 or 4 songs since Achtung Baby album; maybe 15 songs in my Spotify list and appreciate those but seems like they lost their way and took themselves WAY too seriously for my taste (or my tastes changed)

All from when I was in HS but

Sound Garden
Tool
NIN
Helmet
Metallica
Pearl Jam

If I catch these on Sirius I will listen to them but its rare.

Reactions: PhDcat2018
Metallica (although the newest album isn't bad)
Korn
Godsmack
Foo Fighters
Chili Peppers
Green Day

Basically, my tastes changed from more American mainstream to European and other parts of the world. I went with metal that hits harder and you can't get burnt out on because it's not everywhere. In my mind, a band like Korn stopped in 2002. In reality, that was when I discovered other bands and moved on.

Pretty much everything. I don't hardly listen to music anymore unless at a concert. Actually kind of prefer it that way as to not burn out on old songs.

Love when I hear a song and had forgot about it but loved it in past. Sometimes hear them in a podcast, movie, or a random XM station.

Examples recently:

Meat Puppets- backwater
Incubus- dig

Also I forgot how much I liked Jukebox Hero until I heard it on Wrestlers on Netflix. It is my 4 year olds favorite song right now, 🤣.

Still love Pearl Jam, U2, REM and others mentioned, but almost never choose their XM stations or play them on Spotify at home, nothing wrong with them, but their music is now 30 or 40 years old, and have heard all their best stuff 1000 times.

I have about 200 songs on one Spotify list I call "Modern" and keep it updated on what I hear on 91.3 FM, and XM 35 and XMU 36, just a lot more fresh stuff that is really good out there to listen to than to keep reliving the 80s and 90s all over again

I don't listen to classic rock much anymore. Not that I don't like the music but my tastes have changed over the many years. My JRiver jukebox has around 27 different genres and classic rock is down the list.

Only younger alt-rock and post-hardcore fans will even know who this is..

But Dance Gavin Dance used to be my absolute favorite during the Jonny Craig era. Of course, Jonny Craig had a lot of issues, but their music was gold. When they replaced him with Tilian, the band sounded the same, mostly.. but every single release after, they became more and more of this watered down band, catering to his voice (which I don't even think is that good).

They are apparently releasing a new single tonight and I have no interest. I'll give it a listen at some point, but I know it's gonna be lame. I gave their last two albums a listen-through and they were so weak that I never went back to see if the songs had grown on me.

I've never had a band that I've fallen out of love with so much.

I'll throw another one out there. Staind. I wasn't a huge fan or but you couldn't escape them for a few years so I did listen to them some. That was some depressing music. Rock was really poor around that time. It was a lot of bands trying to be Alice In Chains and a lot of bands with lyrics like "I love you but oh god I fkin hate you there's so many emotions love and hate get away from me stay with me I'm so mixed up!"

Does anyone really like U2? Serious question. I know they say we do, and we are supposed to, and that they are awesome and all...but really, other than Angel of Harlem, I just don't get it. New Wave Musac.

I love U2. I've seen them twice and would love to see them again if they come around.
One, Bullet the Blue sky, Pride. Great songs and many others.. The free album on apple tunes soured me. I know that’s silly. But I get pissed every time my shuffle ques one of those songs.

Not big on U2 BUT their halftime show performance after 9/11 felt special. I believe it's just behind Prince's for best of all time. I feel Bono probably gets a bad rap too. He's done good in the world and I imagine has given plenty of his own money in the past. I get the whole "you're super rich so why are you asking us for money" mindset, but there's also nothing wrong with just asking others to help. He hasn't demanded we pay to help the world. I dunno, somewhere along the line it became hip to trash the people who are trying to make the world a bit better.

Reactions: Tskware
F9cjRTeacAAALum

Started in the 4th grade (1980) with AC/DC's Powerage. Thanks to Columbia House, i had a boatload of LPs. Ozzy, Iron Maiden, etc.

It has been FOREVER since i listened to any of those bands. I've gone more and more extreme ever since. Currently listen to Cannibal Corpse, Nile, Obituary, Origin, and tons of other stuff most would not know if i took the time to list it.

But, along with the 3 aforementioned bands, the 3 biggest of the others are...

Metallica - don't even have the last 2 albums and haven't even listened to any of the songs on either all the way through even one time...still do listen to the early stuff because i play some of it on guitar
Guns 'N Roses - AFD and UYI 1 & 2 were really all i listened to, but i listened to them A LOT...but i even can't remember the last time i listened to anything from them
Motley Crue - last album i have is Girls, Girls, Girls...not even sure i cared for them all that much, but Shout At The Devil was a pretty good album for middle-/high-school

I never liked Motley Crue. I think the only decent human in the band is Nikki Sixx. And I always thought GNR was way overrated. The Cult was way better.

Last edited:
Reactions: K86
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT