ADVERTISEMENT

Bama's trouble finding a new coach highlights how blue blood programs in college sports aren't the draw they used to be.

What evidence beyond Lanning’s disinterest is there of this trouble?

I already assumed they’d strike out on Lanning from the beginning. Oregon is a tremendous job. Why deal with the super intense pressure and scrutiny of following Saban when you already have that gig?
Norvell's agent put out word that Norvell was a top candidate for the FSU job, and now FSU paid him 10+ million a year. And suddenly everyone is spurning Alabama.

I wouldn't have picked Norvell as a top candidate. Maybe top 5?

The two that make the most sense have always been Kiffin and Sarkisian.

Nobody wants to follow a legend. They'll constantly be compared to the previous coach.
But explain how Texas Am could only get elko?
Florida could only get Napier ?

expectations or not…how do you explain Norvel
Being dumb to not want to be in Bama running ?

ACC js a dead concept..if you’re in big10 or sec I can see desiring to stay at your job. But if you’re not in those two conferences…you have to leave and take these jobs

When it comes to college football vacancies pay close attention to who is repping the guys getting leaked as candidates. Most are Sexton clients that end up with a nice raise. Barnhart has feel victim to this several times and it's part of the reason we are severely overpaying our football coach.
Bingo.

ACC js a dead concept..if you’re in big10 or sec I can see desiring to stay at your job. But if you’re not in those two conferences…you have to leave and take these jobs
I don't believe Norvell was ever truly in the running. I think his people leaked the rumors to force FSU's hand.
He doesn't make logical sense over the others candidates.

Honestly, Clyde wasn’t a bad bball coach by any means. He had A&M rolling with Quincy Law and co. They had knocked off Kansas at AFS and earned a top two seed if my memory is correct. He was one of the biggest up and comers in college ball. He also has Tarleton St at 11-3 this year and at the top of their conference. He just had demons that didn’t allow him to be what he could’ve been. He was definitely a P.O.S but people forget how hot he was before he took the UK job.
He instructed a guy to goal tend a free throw

Because the ACC is still a “power 4” conference regardless of the truth. Kentucky had a bad football team this year and beat their number 2.

The way FSU recruits it would take a coaching fail to not be in the playoffs almost every year going forward.

In the SEC you have much much steeper competition.

He gets $10 million a year and is the best team on his schedule every year. Would be crazy to try bama in my opinion.

DoBoer was the top guy all along. None of the other guys were offered. Sexton used it to get them raises. Greg Byrne (Alabama AD) confirmed yesterday that he flew out to Seattle the day Saban retired. He then was meeting with DeBoer the very next day (Thursday). He apparently has had DeBoer on his radar for a while now according some reports from the other day.

DeBoer seems to be an excellent coach. He's 10-2 against the top 25 at Washington. 12-2 overall against the top 25 between both his stops at Washington and Fresno State. He took over a team that won 4 games the year before he got there and went 11-2 with them. Then he upped it this season by going 14-1 and playing for a championship. He went a total of 25-3 at Washington and was riding a 21 game winning streak before their loss to Michigan. He coached Penix as an OC at Indiana and then brought him to Washington and coached him as a HC. He's 5-0 against the other supposed candidates (Dan Lanning and Steve Sarkisian) for the Alabama job with lesser talent. Not to mention his overall record as head coach is a staggering 104-12. Other than hiring Kirby Smart, this is the closest thing as you're going to get for a safe hire following a legend. The guy seems to win and win big.

Last edited:
Lol, Alabama is not having trouble filling their job. They're sifting through the literally thousands of coaches who would love to have that job.

DoBoer was the top guy all along. None of the other guys were offered. Sexton used it to get them raises. Greg Byrne (Alabama AD) confirmed yesterday that he flew out to Seattle the day Saban retired. He then was meeting with DeBoer the very next day (Thursday). He apparently has had DeBoer on his radar for a while now according some reports from the other day.

DeBoer seems to be an excellent coach. He's 10-2 against the top 25 at Washington. 12-2 overall against the top 25 between both his stops at Washington and Fresno State. He took over a team that won 4 games the year before he got there and went 11-2 with them. Then he upped it this season by going 14-1 and playing for a championship. He went a total of 25-3 at Washington and was riding a 21 game winning streak before their loss to Michigan. He coached Penix as an OC at Indiana and then brought him to Washington and coached him as a HC. He's 5-0 against the other supposed candidates (Dan Lanning and Steve Sarkisian) for the Alabama job with lesser talent. Not to mention his overall record as head coach is a staggering 104-12. Other than hiring Kirby Smart, this is the closest thing as you're going to get for a safe hire following a legend. The guy seems to win and win big.
Ahhh there it is.

This is what I thought all along. I REALLY didn't believe they wanted Norvell. It doesn't fit. What's he actually accomplished? He doesn't have Bama ties. Just no reason to bring him in.

Lanning I guess at least has some Bama ties. But he makes way less sense than DeBoer. Oregon has a metrick $hit ton of money coming in from Nike. They have all the resources in the world. Despite that, DeBoer has been doing more than Lanning.

DeBoer also wasn't a recruiting powerhouse at Washington. DEspite that, he made the national championship game. NOW, his biggest weakness--recruiting--gets a helluva lot easier at the Mecca.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Ahhh there it is.

This is what I thought all along. I REALLY didn't believe they wanted Norvell. It doesn't fit. What's he actually accomplished? He doesn't have Bama ties. Just no reason to bring him in.

Lanning I guess at least has some Bama ties. But he makes way less sense than DeBoer. Oregon has a metrick $hit ton of money coming in from Nike. They have all the resources in the world. Despite that, DeBoer has been doing more than Lanning.

DeBoer also wasn't a recruiting powerhouse at Washington. DEspite that, he made the national championship game. NOW, his biggest weakness--recruiting--gets a helluva lot easier at the Mecca.
Indeed. DeBoer was the better hire. He's been doing more with less. The Pac 12 was a highly competitive league this season too. Now he has Alabama resources at his disposal. People will say he has no ties to the South, but neither did Saban or Urban. Saban was really no recruiting savant until he got to LSU. Saban also has tons of connections that I'm sure he will be helping the new coach with.

Reactions: Cats192
Pulling coaches from solid programs where they’ve seen some success isn’t as easy as expected. I believe it has more to do with that individual, what they want from their career and are they looking for an opportunity to be on the top of the mountain. It’s risky. One has to be willing to take on that risk. The income numbers aren’t that different for the most part. It has to be about the desire to be considered the best. Following a legend makes that road very difficult. Most programs go through at least 2 or 3 coaches before finding a winner.

I don’t believe DeBoer was the first choice. No one will admit it but it’s highly unlikely. Burn knew he had to be quick and feelers were out. At least a few indicated a “thanks but no thanks” type of response.

Alabama is losing a lot to the portal. He will likely have a tough couple seasons. Who knows what he can do after.

you are funny. I pointed out how social media is used to much to prove a point
Yeah, that was half my answer, which was in jest. It took you 3 pages but your almost caught up. Now I’m done with you. You clearly lack intelligence and resort to name calling to try to win your argument. Reply or don’t, I won’t see it nor do I care what it have to say.

He's gotta prove he can recruit as those players didn't choose Alabama, they chose Saban and his proven track record at Bama. I remember how bad Alabama was from the 1992 championship and a few good seasons after till they hired Saban in 2007. 25 players are in the portal or already transferred. He has no connections to the South. But a couple good hires for defensive coordinator and some recruiting guys, with his offensive acumen, and they could've potentially hit a home run hire. He doesn't strike me as a Brian Kelly who heads south and adopts a horrible southern accent in a day either. So there are just as many questions as there are good reasons they hired him. From what I've seen about half the Bama fans are not in love with this hire and recruiting and being an ambassador for the program are the main reasons. We shall see, as it's always a roll of the dice when hiring a new coach. Kirby is at his alma mater and Georgia is rolling. Sark is at Texas which is a destination job. Dabo hasn't been great since the second title and he wouldn't have left Clemson. Lanning wasn't leaving Oregon, and I wouldn't either. Plus the new guy beat Sark and he beat Lanning twice in the same season. He's about to be under a microscope like no other.

Reactions: CaptainBoogerBuns
Has OP even gotten back into this thread to defend this disaster of a post yet? All time faceplant on this one.

and I don’t understand this at all. My first and only call would have been to Lane Kiffin.
None of these other guys know how to win in the SEC and it truly is different.
The AD met DeBoer in Washington on the evening that Saban retired. He got the guy he wanted. I would have liked Kiffin as well but from all accounts, he had burned too many bridges in Tuscaloosa. Remember, he was actually fired the day before the National Championship his last year.

The AD met DeBoer in Washington on the evening that Saban retired. He got the guy he wanted. I would have liked Kiffin as well but from all accounts, he had burned too many bridges in Tuscaloosa. Remember, he was actually fired the day before the National Championship his last year.
Why would you have liked Kiffin?

Yeah, that was half my answer, which was in jest. It took you 3 pages but your almost caught up. Now I’m done with you. You clearly lack intelligence and resort to name calling to try to win your argument. Reply or don’t, I won’t see it nor do I care what it have to say.
such a joke I take time to reply because I have other things to do besides to try and insult people. that in its self shows your intelligence and I could care less you big asshole

Honestly, Clyde wasn’t a bad bball coach by any means. He had A&M rolling with Quincy Law and co. They had knocked off Kansas at AFS and earned a top two seed if my memory is correct. He was one of the biggest up and comers in college ball. He also has Tarleton St at 11-3 this year and at the top of their conference. He just had demons that didn’t allow him to be what he could’ve been. He was definitely a P.O.S but people forget how hot he was before he took the UK job.
there is a lesson to be learned there and the lesson is you don't hire a coach based on a small sampling of success.

Without Acie Law, Gillespie would have never been considered as coach of Kentucky, and without beating UL in Rupp with Acie Law, no Kentucky fan would even know who he was. One recruiting success made him the coach of Kentucky - shame on Barnhart for rushing the hire trying to save face after Donovan told him no. A coach has a single great season, or lands a great seed in the tourney, and he lands a job where he is expected to do that EVERY year.

That's why I shake my head at people suggesting a Mark Pope type coach should replace Calipari. Too many people believe that something magical happens when the coach we hire walks the hallways of Memorial Colisuem, like he'll be transformed by the ghost of Rupp into this title winning juggernaut.

Reactions: CalipariCapo
there is a lesson to be learned there and the lesson is you don't hire a coach based on a small sampling of success.

Without Acie Law, Gillespie would have never been considered as coach of Kentucky, and without beating UL in Rupp with Acie Law, no Kentucky fan would even know who he was. One recruiting success made him the coach of Kentucky - shame on Barnhart for rushing the hire trying to save face after Donovan told him no. A coach has a single great season, or lands a great seed in the tourney, and he lands a job where he is expected to do that EVERY year.

That's why I shake my head at people suggesting a Mark Pope type coach should replace Calipari. Too many people believe that something magical happens when the coach we hire walks the hallways of Memorial Colisuem, like he'll be transformed by the ghost of Rupp into this title winning juggernaut.
Completely agree. Couldn’t have said it better. I love Mark Pope but I would also agree that he’s not of the caliber to be UK’s coach. The brand name of the coach has to equal that of the programs. There’s not many out there that fits that description. Cal had the brand name coming into Lexington. He took that even further once he got here. It takes a special type of person.

Reactions: RunninRichie
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT