ADVERTISEMENT

Attending Games vs. Watching on TV

KYtotheCore

Senior
Jan 5, 2010
Anytown, USA
Unfortunately it's been a while since I've attended a game at Rupp (ca. '08). I like going, seeing the crowd, feeling the electricity when the crowd responds, etc. Maybe it's just me getting up in years too, but I've reached the point where I think I'd rather just stay home and watch. I like the commentary, grabbing something to drink when I want, eliminate what I just drank, DVR through the commercials, follow this board, etc more. Both are good. Would love to share some season tickets with 3-4 other couples and divvy them up.

Which do you prefer and why?

9899240-Lazy-overweight-male-sitting-on-a-couch-watching-television-Harsh-lighting-from-television-with-slow-Stock-Photo.jpg

I go to one game a year at Rupp. I live near Nashville...do not have the money or the time to go to that many more. Maybe 2 a year on occasion. I think going to a UK game in person is awesome. I love it. I don't love the high concession prices...and its hard to go get the full experience of pre-game, game and post-game and not get hungry/thirsty in that time. It is also a pain to go down those steps and down the aisles once it fills up. So you have to hold it unless you wanna brave it to go take a leak. I digress, I enjoy my experience once a year but in the upper deck poor seats its not as comfortable as at home of course.

For me, I prefer being there. The ability to say you were there in the case of something historic means a lot to me. I get both sides of the argument though and it all comes down to personal preference.

I go to 2 or 3 a season. Won't go unless I have lowers (not to sound like a snob,) but too old & tired to fight the uppers.

Otherwise, I'd much rather enjoy the games in the comfort of my own home.

I like going with lower arena seats, preferably on the aisle. Otherwise, I like watching at home.

I've only been once... had a blast, and I'm definitely going to make it to Rupp again. Though, as stated by the OP, the comforts of home viewing work out just fine.

Financially, it'd be hard to pull off more than a couple times a year, I'd say. I had a family member and this was on the Bucket List, so she searched Ebay and paid about 1.7 Bazillion for 3 lowers... but it was the 2014 LSU game, so we got the 5 minutes of overtime for free!

I've only been once... had a blast, and I'm definitely going to make it to Rupp again. Though, as stated by the OP, the comforts of home viewing work out just fine.

Same here I went this last season Miss.St. game and I am praying I get to go again next year. Loved it.

Haven't been able to get to a game since 2004. Watching from home has its perks, but nothing really compares to being there.

One thing that took me by surprise was how intimate Rupp Arena felt... more than I had expected, anyway. I felt very close to the action, though, we did have decent seats in the middle of Section 17.

On the way back home (2+ hour drive) we stopped to eat in Georgetown. It seemed like everybody else had the same idea, LOL! That was just fine with me, as we had plenty of great conversations with others in their UK gear, while waiting an hour for a table.

At home, it is nice to catch all of the pregame and postgame radio stuff. I try to declare it MY TIME... and block out as many distractions as possible.

I prefer to watch on tv. Usually get to watch one or two a year in Rupp. Works for me.

I go to one or two games a season. If tournament regional sites are close enough I will try to make it there as well.

3 or 4 games in one season is enough for me. Love watching the Cats in the comfort of my own living room.

I went to Rupp 4 times last year and once versus Cincy at the Yum Center. I really enjoy the excitement of attending live games but watching from home really has it's advantages too.

Of course I don't have the opportunity to go to UK games, but in general in recent years I've tended more towards watching games on TV. We've all got big screen HD TV's, and that's part of it. Then there's the cost. Ticket prices for everything just seem to keep going on. A decent seat for a Nuggets game is $80 plus. Then there's the time, traffic, parking or bus cost, etc. I still enjoy going to games, but I suppose part of it is age. I love the spectacle of a college football game on a beautiful late summer, or fall day. I and a good buddy who lives in Boulder, but also went to CSU usually hit one CU and one CSU afternoon game in Sept./Oct. CU's basically just down the street, and the Fort is only about 45 miles. We, and some other's used to go to a lot of Rockies and Nuggets game, and then go out on the town in Denver, and catch the last bus back to Boulder at 2am. That was great in my 30's and 40's, but in my late 50's I just don't have an interest in that.

I love the atmosphere live if I have decent seats but those are hard to come by and I live a good distance away from Lexington. I went several times a year when I lived in Bardstown and Louisville but I have gotten older and just am not Up for the drive from Columbus Indiana and back.

Another factor is with the advent of big screen HD TV you can just see the game better on TV than you can at Rupp Arena and I would not be telling the truth if I did not add that cost of the trip and tickets is also a big factor.

Well i've never attended a UK game. :(

If you are a true blue UK fan I would suggest that you must put on your bucket list to attend a UK basketball game at Rupp Arena at least once. It is quite an experience especially if you can get seats in the lower level. The truth is if I have to watch from the upper level I would much rather watch on TV but you can get the Rupp atmosphere even in the upper level. You just can not see the game as well.

Unfortunately it's been a while since I've attended a game at Rupp (ca. '08). I like going, seeing the crowd, feeling the electricity when the crowd responds, etc. Maybe it's just me getting up in years too, but I've reached the point where I think I'd rather just stay home and watch. I like the commentary, grabbing something to drink when I want, eliminate what I just drank, DVR through the commercials, follow this board, etc more. Both are good. Would love to share some season tickets with 3-4 other couples and divvy them up.

Which do you prefer and why?

9899240-Lazy-overweight-male-sitting-on-a-couch-watching-television-Harsh-lighting-from-television-with-slow-Stock-Photo.jpg

I been lucky and gotten good seats at Chitown , Yum and games here at Indy. Usually can get tha Blue-White game. Final 4 was best but gave my Tix tha som fer finals , He likes Duke. I have weaned him tha UK also. Took Him tha RUPP. He loved it and since been more CAT fan than dUKe fan!!!GO BIG BLUE. Gotta get my tix fer Chitown. dUKe vs UK!!!! See if son wants tha go. Wonder whom he be for?

I don't live far from Lexington but I prefer to watch at home (or at friends'). I've always been a homebody (some might say recluse), and as I get older that stance is only strengthening.

I've been to a bunch of games in way upper arena row bb or greater. Didn't go last year the older I get vertigo is becoming an issue and don't feel like falling and rolling back down. So from now on tv is the way to go for me plus I can drink beer and enjoy no lines for the restroom at home.

I love attending games at Rupp. For games against ranked opponents or rivals (UofL, UNC, Florida, etc.) you can't beat the atmosphere inside and outside the arena. You kinda feel like you're at a "happening".
This topic reminds me of the old question...would you rather watch a movie at a theater or at home? I always answer "theater" every time. It's just bigger and more...well, just MORE.

Split a book of 2 uppers 3 ways for about 15 years. Then watched at home for a few. Then shared an upper pair last year with my best friend. Over the years we have had good lowers maybe 6-7 times. Bottomline uppers in Rupp suck. The excitement and energy was great at first but the hassle of getting there after work for a 7:00 pm game, parking issues, going to work after 9:30 game over time has outweighed the pluses. Big games atmosphere at Rupp can't be beat, but every year there seems to be fewer and fewer of those and more guarantee games on a Sunday afternoon. My big screen is calling I guess.

The only reason I would ever attend another game at Rupp Arena would be to invite someone to attend with me who had never been to a game at Rupp Arena before. That is super-cool, and I would do that anytime I had the opportunity. However, I now live in Arizona, after living in KY for 55 years. I have lots of friends here who would give their eye teeth to attend a game at Rupp. Unfortunately, when one includes a two-night hotel stay plus airfare and rental car (not to mention the scalper price for tickets), it's prohibitively expensive for me to invite someone on a trip like that.

But I think that even if I were still living in KY, I'd feel the same way. My home in KY for all of those years was a 2.75 hours, one way, drive to/from Lexington. That's still a haul. It's a killer if you don't spend the night in Lexington after the game. And because watching the games on TV - even with a less-than-the-best TV crew - is just much more enjoyable for me than watching the game in person, I doubt that I would attend many more, if any, games at Rupp Arena.

Just MHO, of course.

I rather watch them on TV but if I can get tickets I would definitely go to a couple games a year. I love seeing them at Rupp but I just cant afford to go to very many games.

Reactions: Jkwo
I will go to Rupp anytime that I get a chance but if I had my choice I'm just fine watching it at home.

Nothing like being there from my living room to Rupp Arena is 275 miles but along with my granddaughter we hit about 5 games a year in Rupp plus at least 2 away games SEC Tournament Final Four last three times we have been there as long as she will go I am taking her Love the Cats.

No one has mentioned this. I used to go to Memorial (UKIT) when I was much younger. One trip to RUPP was enough for me. I have attended many H.S. state tourney games in Rupp and really enjoyed them due to excellent seating.

As for me now, I think that big screen and HD TV has many more advantages as cited by many other posters.
My connections in Nashville allowed me to see UK vs Vandy regular (bb & fb). My favorite game in person was Nazr's 20 ft lay-up as time ran out or had run out. I refused the last offer to see UK vs Vandy free several years ago. Just rather not fight the crowd and buy $5 hotdogs.

Haven't been to a game at Rupp since 2011 and those tickets were given to me by a rich father of one of the kids I was coaching (six rows from the floor) cause he couldn't attend that night.

However, the prices are absolutely insane to go to these days and I'm not sitting in Upper Arena ever again. It's not worth it. It's wild that I can go to MLB and NHL games for a fraction of a college game.

It's a 10 hour drive for me now, but im gonna see one this year. I just love the energy.

I have had season tickets since Rupp opened. For many years I went to every game (150 mile round trip). Now that I am getting older and do not like driving at night I only go to day games. I give the rest of the tickets to family members for Christmas presents. TV is great but nothing beats being there in person.

Live Events are pretty much a beating anymore, with the skyrocketing tickets, concessions, gas, hotels(if staying overnight), plus all the idiots you have to deal with having to get up from your seat every few minutes for beer, bathroom,snacks,cigarette runs. I still enjoy them somewhat, not as much as I used to. Hoping to make the UCLA trip and if not, definitely the Brooklyn game since it's just down the road a bit. Last UK game in Rupp was in 2004 vs. Arkansas.

If I could afford season tickets, even in the upper arena, I would still grab them. I love the environment, history and I guess the pageantry of UK Basketball. It's the pinnacle of college bball.
I think we UK fans take for granted that the Calipari era will last for a long time yet and we'll have plenty of chances to see lots more good teams. That's foolish thinking. I could see Cal leaving after this coming season or within the next 2-3 years. Better take advantage of getting a chance to see amazing talent and all these future pro's while we can!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT