ADVERTISEMENT

Atmos?

UK82

All-American
Feb 27, 2015
Currently have 6.2 surround sound in my basement. Unfortunately with the ductwork and low ceilings it's not an ideal candidate for Atmos. Niche subject I know. Don't expect to get much advice but what the hell.

Turn this into the running home theater thread?

I have Dolby Atmos 22.5 surround sound. A guy at the gym turned me into it when he was spotting me bench 395lbs.

• Haha
Reactions: UK82
On a serious note: why are audiophiles SO against sound bars? If you check the Home Theater subreddits, they all hate them. Is it because of lack of performance? Or because it's a "cheap" way out negative their beloved hobby?

I've always found them to be pretty decent. I don't have some highly trained ear that's going to notice subtle differences. I want my movies to go boom and I want to hear clarity at low levels..

I'll be in the market for something soon. I always figured a 3.1 sound bar.. so the soundboard, two rears, and a sub.

On a serious note: why are audiophiles SO against sound bars? If you check the Home Theater subreddits, they all hate them. Is it because of lack of performance? Or because it's a "cheap" way out negative their beloved hobby?

I've always found them to be pretty decent. I don't have some highly trained ear that's going to notice subtle differences. I want my movies to go boom and I want to hear clarity at low levels..

I'll be in the market for something soon. I always figured a 3.1 sound bar.. so the soundboard, two rears, and a sub.
I have nothing against soundbars. They can sound great. I have a Sonos Beam Gen 2 in my sunroom along with the cheaper Sonos subwoofer. Love it!

Reactions: DSmith21
Currently have 6.2 surround sound in my basement. Unfortunately with the ductwork and low ceilings it's not an ideal candidate for Atmos. Niche subject I know. Don't expect to get much advice but what the hell.
How about angling speakers on top of your fronts, (R and L), and bouncing the sound off your ceiling to the listening area?

How about angling speakers on top of your fronts, (R and L), and bouncing the sound off your ceiling to the listening area?
Thought of that but ceilings are offset due to ductwork. Plus they're too low for good results.

How tall are your ceilings? Is it a drop ceiling or drywall?
Drywall ceilings framed around the ductwork. Half the ceiling is 6' 10" and half is 6' 3". Ceiling speakers would be uneven unfortunately. Minimum per Dolby is 7' 6".

Drywall ceilings framed around the ductwork. Half the ceiling is 6' 10" and half is 6' 3". Ceiling speakers would be uneven unfortunately. Minimum per Dolby is 7' 6".
When set up a movie room or theater there are always going to be compromises. Even though Dolby says minimum 7’6”, you still could get Atmos effect with lower ceilings, just maybe not perfect one.

I used the RSL c34e in our ceiling for Atmos. The tweeters swivel so you can move them to point at the seating area.

I was to poor for that. I just had to settle for the simpler 5.1 surround sound. Had it in my living room for years and loved it. Nothing like watching action/sci-fi movies and hearing explosions all around with bullets and lasers flying past you. Also hearing things drive/fly past you is awesome.

You don't realize how much you are missing until you just go with a sound bar or TV speakers. I'm at the sound bar level now and it is disappointing compared to what I had before. This Yamaha sound bar is one of those all in one types with no sub. It just isn't the same. I just don't have the space to setup my old system anymore.

I do have a smaller surround sound setup in my bedroom with a cheap projector to watch some stuff on. Hoping my son eventually moves out and then I'm making his bedroom my man cave to set everything back up in there. You can get a pretty big bang for your buck these days on a smaller budget. Not up to the Paddock standards unfortunately.

I was to poor for that. I just had to settle for the simpler 5.1 surround sound. Had it in my living room for years and loved it. Nothing like watching action/sci-fi movies and hearing explosions all around with bullets and lasers flying past you. Also hearing things drive/fly past you is awesome.

You don't realize how much you are missing until you just go with a sound bar or TV speakers. I'm at the sound bar level now and it is disappointing compared to what I had before. This Yamaha sound bar is one of those all in one types with no sub. It just isn't the same. I just don't have the space to setup my old system anymore.

I do have a smaller surround sound setup in my bedroom with a cheap projector to watch some stuff on. Hoping my son eventually moves out and then I'm making his bedroom my man cave to set everything back up in there. You can get a pretty big bang for your buck these days on a smaller budget. Not up to the Paddock standards unfortunately.
5.1 is really all anybody needs.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT