ADVERTISEMENT

Asheville - A Beer Snob's Paradise

Haven't been in years but loved staying at the Grove Park Inn. A lot of history.
The Grove Park Inn is great. We've stayed at the Haywood Park Hotel a few times for a weekend getaway when we lived in TN. It's walking distance to just about anything you want to do.

• Love
Reactions: Kingseve1 and UK82
The Grove Park Inn is great. We've stayed at the Haywood Park Hotel a few times for a weekend getaway when we lived in TN. It's walking distance to just about anything you want to do.

Hey thanks for the recommendation! Haywood looks like a fine place to stay.

Reactions: JDHoss
I’m a craft beer snob , prob tried over a thousand .. have rated about 600 — I wouldn’t go back to Asheville for nothing . Hippies , Weirdos Freaks people who refuse to bathe , man buns etc etc and etc .. no thanks .
We were a few years back and dined at a Top 5 ranked place in town — the waitress wore a tank top and stunk so badly of BO we had to pay up and leave .

He meant progressivism and it is real, including defunded police, record homelessness and crime run rampant. Asheville is NOT a destination town.
We've been there many times to eat and attend shows/concerts/baseball games. I've never experienced any problems, and we're either in the downtown area, West Asheville, or the River Arts District.

Reactions: GeraldV
I’m a craft beer snob , prob tried over a thousand .. have rated about 600 — I wouldn’t go back to Asheville for nothing . Hippies , Weirdos Freaks people who refuse to bathe , man buns etc etc and etc .. no thanks .
We were a few years back and dined at a Top 5 ranked place in town — the waitress wore a tank top and stunk so badly of BO we had to pay up and leave .
I think you already had a reason to hate it before hand. I don't experience any issues like those. A lot of tourists though.

Top 10% in violent crime, another wonderful city being destroyed by liberalism.
used to go there once a year just for the beer and hiking. Like 8 years in a row. I stopped for just this reason. The downtown core is filthy, lots of homeless and police don’t do anything. they’ve lost a huge percentage of their police because the local government went on the defund the police nonsense. It’s not like it once was. Way worse.

And as for the beer, 15 years ago it was easily top 5. Now lots of cities and towns are better.

used to go there once a year just for the beer and hiking. Like 8 years in a row. I stopped for just this reason. The downtown core is filthy, lots of homeless and police don’t do anything. they’ve lost a huge percentage of their police because the local government went on the defund the police nonsense. It’s not like it once was. Way worse.
Was just there and it wasn't dirty. There were a few homeless people, but not many - regardless, what's your issue with homeless people exactly? Are they beneath you? Every city has homeless people, it isn't unique to Asheville.

Was just there and it wasn't dirty. There were a few homeless people, but not many - regardless, what's your issue with homeless people exactly? Are they beneath you? Every city has homeless people, it isn't unique to Asheville.
My issue is not that they are homeless, but rather that the city government does not do anything to address the issue other than to continue to let them camp wherever they want in town, free to shoot up( seen it plenty there), hassle people( seen it plenty and happened to me and my family too), shit and piss on the sidewalk( seen it), and no consequences for any of it.

That clear enough for you, or are you done drawing completely wrong conclusions from what I post?

My issue is not that they are homeless, but rather that the city government does not do anything to address the issue other than to continue to let them camp wherever they want in town, free to shoot up( seen it plenty there), hassle people( seen it plenty and happened to me and my family too), shit and piss on the sidewalk( seen it), and no consequences for any of it.

That clear enough for you, or are you done drawing completely wrong conclusions from what I post?
I didn't see a single camp in the areas worth going to in the city. I did see a few porta potties in a few spots, but they weren't front and center. A few homeless people did ask for spare cash, but that didn't bother me to the point that I dislike a city. It sounds like you don't like cities period. That's not an Asheville problem.

Curious OP...what made you want to come on here and compare Asheville to Louisville? Completely different cities. Literally nothing alike.

Reactions: Get Bucket$
Curious OP...what made you want to come on here and compare Asheville to Louisville? Completely different cities. Literally nothing alike.
Because Louisville has nothing interesting going on for the most part, especially downtown. Asheville has a pleasant, active downtown and can be walked easily.

• Haha
Reactions: Get Bucket$
I didn't see a single camp in the areas worth going to in the city. I did see a few porta potties in a few spots, but they weren't front and center. A few homeless people did ask for spare cash, but that didn't bother me to the point that I dislike a city. It sounds like you don't like cities period. That's not an Asheville problem.
What a stupid take. Again with an unfounded conclusion. I live in a city with a metro area of 2.5 million and have my whole life, I’ve rejected offers to move to smaller places. Stop this tea leaf reading; you’re terrible at it.

Because Louisville has nothing interesting going on for the most part, especially downtown. Asheville has a pleasant, active downtown and can be walked easily.
Asheville is a mountain-resort-vibe town of less than 100,000 and Louisville Metro is around 1.4 million. Louisville has serious industry. Asheville has mountains. Asheville has retirement homes and AirBnBs. Louisville is working class.

I grew up in Louisville. It's a great place to live but I wouldn't want to visit there. Which is true of most of Kentucky. When we have friends come in from out-of-state we're embarrassed by the lack of things to do here.

I get the idea that urban scenes scare some people. When our daughter went looking to buy her home, she researched the safety of various neighborhoods in Louisville. She picked the 2nd safest neighborhood in the area, and I'm sure it would terrify lots of the posters here. Amazing deals on real estate, though.

Reactions: roguemocha
Asheville is full of hipsters, homeless, and man bun dbags. No thanks.
We went this fall for three days. Had a great time. Went to the Biltmore which was really great. Another day we went hiking. Final day we stayed in the city. Stayed about a mile from downtown. Was it a bit dirty? Sure. Did we see homeless people? Yep. Did anyone bug us? Nope. Didn’t even see that much panhandling. We walked everywhere and felt totally safe. Bottom line is that any half way big city has these issues. It’s not a new thing and it’s not unique. I honestly think there are some around here that don’t spend any time in big cities which is fine. Doesn’t mean they are complete sh!tholes and you are going to get killed mugged or killed.

Anyway beer scene was great and we had three of the better dinners I have had in awhile. Restaurant scene is insane if you enjoy good food. Ate at a tapas place, upscale Mexican, and another place w a variety of dishes. Didn’t get the chance to get to Indian place that gets great reviews but there is always another time

Never been there, but I saw where they shut down city offices last week to virtue signal antisemitism in the streets. Charming.

Not recommended, but around here if you want an advanced progressive experience, go to Portland, OR.

Where are you from originally? Still weird picking Louisville out of the entire country. I would ask the same question regardless of what city if it compared to Louisville. You would have been better off picking like Greenville, SC or Williamsburg VA but you pick Louisville. No beer scene and no where the size to compare.

Its amazing how much nicer Hawaii is compared to Iowa. The beach scene is insane.

So how did Asheville become a shitty place?
I can't see western NC being ultra liberal.
Do they have a ton of transplants?
Haven't been yet but now it's a must so I can see for myself.

So how did Asheville become a shitty place?
I can't see western NC being ultra liberal.
Do they have a ton of transplants?
Haven't been yet but now it's a must so I can see for myself.
Tons of transplants. I went ten years ago and many times before that and loved it. Still have a lot of friends there that love it but they would probably be considered “hippies/hipsters” by the crowd here that’s apparently super judgmental.

-Not sure, but these same people mad about Lexington having homeless at EVERY street corner and stoplight these days? It’s literally everywhere. Was blown away by it when I moved back there for 10 months this year.

-
Asheville is a mountain-resort-vibe town of less than 100,000 and Louisville Metro is around 1.4 million. Louisville has serious industry. Asheville has mountains. Asheville has retirement homes and AirBnBs. Louisville is working class.

I grew up in Louisville. It's a great place to live but I wouldn't want to visit there. Which is true of most of Kentucky. When we have friends come in from out-of-state we're embarrassed by the lack of things to do here.

I get the idea that urban scenes scare some people. When our daughter went looking to buy her home, she researched the safety of various neighborhoods in Louisville. She picked the 2nd safest neighborhood in the area, and I'm sure it would terrify lots of the posters here. Amazing deals on real estate, though.
man anytime I try and make this point, Kentuckians (I am one) get so mad and say, “There’s SOOOOOO much to do in Lex/Lou/KY! What are you talking about?!?!?”

The they name things like Keeneland, UK Sports, etc and I’m like yeah those last for 1-2 a week for a few months a year. And when I was there you couldn’t get anyone to do anything that wasn’t related to going out drinking at night or going over to their house.

These people have 99% of the time also never lived anywhere but KY, which is fine but when you have ZERO experience to compare it to I don’t need your opinion.

Did hit the Gorge once which was awesome but again I could get my buddy to go for 1 whole day out of 10 months.

People aren’t flocking to Kentucky for tourism compared to actual desirable locations. The population of Kentucky actually decreased like two years ago which is wild in this day and age.

We went this fall for three days. Had a great time. Went to the Biltmore which was really great. Another day we went hiking. Final day we stayed in the city. Stayed about a mile from downtown. Was it a bit dirty? Sure. Did we see homeless people? Yep. Did anyone bug us? Nope. Didn’t even see that much panhandling. We walked everywhere and felt totally safe. Bottom line is that any half way big city has these issues. It’s not a new thing and it’s not unique. I honestly think there are some around here that don’t spend any time in big cities which is fine. Doesn’t mean they are complete sh!tholes and you are going to get killed mugged or killed.

Anyway beer scene was great and we had three of the better dinners I have had in awhile. Restaurant scene is insane if you enjoy good food. Ate at a tapas place, upscale Mexican, and another place w a variety of dishes. Didn’t get the chance to get to Indian place that gets great reviews but there is always another time
Limones restaurant is my all time favorite. Best restaurant town I have visited.

Reactions: JDHoss
Where are you from originally? Still weird picking Louisville out of the entire country. I would ask the same question regardless of what city if it compared to Louisville. You would have been better off picking like Greenville, SC or Williamsburg VA but you pick Louisville. No beer scene and no where the size to compare.

Its amazing how much nicer Hawaii is compared to Iowa. The beach scene is insane.
Louisville's beer scene has grown a lot of the years, it's just spread out. But I can see where Asheville's would be better considering the size of the area. Never been to Asheville but wouldn't mind going. Always down for live music and some good suds.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT