ADVERTISEMENT

Arizona or Tennessee…who gets the last 1 seed?

Sep 3, 2022
Purdue, UConn, and Houston have locked up 1 seeds. And really only 2 teams (Zona and Tenn) have a strong case for the other 1 seed. I think a win over KY next weekend propels the Vols to a 1 seed.

Don't count out UNC. They will probably steamroll thru the miserable ACC tourney and lock up a 1 seed.

Yeah I don’t see UNC resume could vault them past either Tenn or Az. Not in a weak year for the ACC.

I think Tenn wins down the stretch will solidify their 1 seed. Assuming they beat USC and UK to close out the regular season.

Now….it has to go to UT. More very good wins, and fewer not good losses than anyone outside those top 3.
But UT also has a very tough road, at USC, UK, then likely something like TAMU, UK, Alabama.
Arizona has the easiest chance to win 5 in a row. But unless UT losses 2, I wouldn’t give it to Zona.
I guess UNC if didn’t lose, and if UT lost 1 could take it, but would mean a win at Duke and a week later probably beat Duke again.

Yeah I don’t see UNC resume could vault them past either Tenn or Az. Not in a weak year for the ACC.

I think Tenn wins down the stretch will solidify their 1 seed. Assuming they beat USC and UK to close out the regular season.
UNC was 5th in the early reveal. The committee has tipped their hand.

If one is looking at those two teams for any seed it’s a no brainer that Tn is better.

If that matters in the discussion.

I dont get it. They beat Duke and UT. That's it.
I don’t think UNC deserves it. But as of right now, both UNC and UT have 6 Q1 wins, and identical records vs. Q1/Q2. Throw in the H2H, and UNC gets the nod.

That could change with a really strong UT finish. But to be safe, they could stand for UNC to lose a game or two.

UNC doesn’t have near as an impressive win on the road that UT has @rupp and @bama. Even a win at Duke doesn’t top either of those as Duke isn’t all that good IMO. Top 20 maybe but not a top 10 team nor top 10 talent. UK has top 5 talent!!!

Reactions: kywildcat41086
If it were today it would be Zona.

Zona: Net #3 Q1 8-3 Q2 5-2 Q3 8-1 Q4 2-0
Tenn: Net #5 Q1 6-5 Q2 6-1 Q3 6-0 Q4 5-0

The only real cases Tennessee has are the 1 Q3 loss for Zona and a 9-5 road neutral record vs zona’s 8-5. But i don’t know how much they even look at that anymore. I’d imagine they would weight the 2 extra Q1 wins heavier than anything though.

We could put the final nail in the coffin of Tennessee’s 1 seed chances with a win next weekend.

Tennessee is also at a disadvantage because the SEC refuses to move the final of the sec tourney to saturday. So that’s a potential extra Q1 game that won’t be counted.

And honestly i have my doubts about how much they committee looks at any of the sec tourney results, as none of the games have seemed to make much of a difference in recent years. Our league teams all seem to end up with whatever seed they were projected as before it even started.

Teams that I want UK to avoid in the tourney: Tennessee, UConn, and UNC. I think we're 6 to 8 points better than UNC, but I'd prefer not to get hosed by the refs in a UNC rematch ala 2017.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT