ADVERTISEMENT

Are we hyping Jaxson Robinson up too high?

I honestly don’t know, but I imagine very few on this board have seen anything but a few highlights of select games he played well in (like his last game). Did you know that this would be his 4th team, he didn’t start for BYU and shot a worse % from 3 than Justin Edwards last year? I’m not saying this to be a Debbie Downer or belittle him in any way, I’m just saying that maybe he’s not the star that many are saying he is. The true test will be if Pope wants the guy on the team. If we don’t get him, I’ll assume he wasn’t a good fit, verses we struck out. If we DO get him, I’ll be thrilled but careful not to have unfair expectations.

Personally, from what little I’ve watched of him, and seeing the positive reviews from basketball experts, I think he’ll be a really good player but probably not a 17 point a night kind of guy. Likely not our number one option. I imagine we’re hunting bigger fish. Just a guess.
Did you know that KY was Mitchell's 4th team. He was a good ball player

Reactions: Girthang
I honestly don’t know, but I imagine very few on this board have seen anything but a few highlights of select games he played well in (like his last game). Did you know that this would be his 4th team, he didn’t start for BYU and shot a worse % from 3 than Justin Edwards last year? I’m not saying this to be a Debbie Downer or belittle him in any way, I’m just saying that maybe he’s not the star that many are saying he is. The true test will be if Pope wants the guy on the team. If we don’t get him, I’ll assume he wasn’t a good fit, verses we struck out. If we DO get him, I’ll be thrilled but careful not to have unfair expectations.

Personally, from what little I’ve watched of him, and seeing the positive reviews from basketball experts, I think he’ll be a really good player but probably not a 17 point a night kind of guy. Likely not our number one option. I imagine we’re hunting bigger fish. Just a guess.
Actually I've watched 10+ Y games since MP was announced. Not saying he's AR, but there is a same type game resemblance. He'd be a very good get. Wish he could have gotten Clausen and Watterman as well.

As I recall, there were lots of complaints about Reeves, so if he performs as well as Reeves, he will be worth the signing.
You have failed to recall that Reeves averaged 20 points per game and just under 40% from three in his junior year at Illinois State. He did so as the primary offensive weapon for his team whom the opposing team knew they had to stop.

Seems a little different than a guy who averaged 14 off the bench at BYU and barely saw the floor at A&M and Arky.

Did you know that KY was Mitchell's 4th team. He was a good ball player
He was horrific. Especially when it mattered. It was good to have Tre early in the season. Now, you might think he had a good game against Oakland - but if that dude stayed injured, and Thiero plays 25 minutes instead of 7, we don’t get bounced. It’s that simple. Tre Mitchell was garbage.

You have failed to recall that Reeves averaged 20 points per game and just under 40% from three in his junior year at Illinois State. He did so as the primary offensive weapon for his team whom the opposing team knew they had to stop.

Seems a little different than a guy who averaged 14 off the bench at BYU and barely saw the floor at A&M and Arky.
Do you recall posters like you giving Reeves hell every time he failed to score 20. You accused him of not showing up for big games. I am certain your short memory syndrome will prevent you from remembering. Basically, you see him as a better player now than you did when he was actually playing. I guess there is nothing new about that.

Do you recall posters like you giving Reeves hell every time he failed to score 20. You accused him of not showing up for big games. I am certain your short memory syndrome will prevent you from remembering. Basically, you see him as a better player now than you did when he was actually playing. I guess there is nothing new about that.
Still don’t love Reeves as he was what I always said he was - a guy who doesn’t defend and gets you bounced in March. That’s exactly what he did two years in a row. But, as a pure scorer, he’s much better than the dude being talked about in this thread.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
He was horrific. Especially when it mattered. It was good to have Tre early in the season. Now, you might think he had a good game against Oakland - but if that dude stayed injured, and Thiero plays 25 minutes instead of 7, we don’t get bounced. It’s that simple. Tre Mitchell was

He was horrific. Especially when it mattered. It was good to have Tre early in the season. Now, you might think he had a good game against Oakland - but if that dude stayed injured, and Thiero plays 25 minutes instead of 7, we don’t get bounced. It’s that simple. Tre Mitchell was garbage.
Mitchell wasn't garbage, he was playing through an injury before he sat out. You don't want an excuse that he played well against oakland??? Other then reeves he was the only one that played well in that game. Where was sheppard, edwards, their 3 centers, Dillingham, and wagner AT? If not from Mitchell they wouldn't have been in the game

Short answer is yes, but that’s what fans should do. If we don’t have high expectations for our players/potential players, then what’s the point?

Dude is a stud. Said during the season that he was a taller, less electric scorer than Dilly. Guy is instant offense and can flat out get buckets when it breaks down and clock shot winding down. Not a first team AA, but easily a first team all conference level player.

Who's hyping him up too high?
Or could it be optimism is the reality?

Sure a little bit. But it’s all relative. We’re in a complete rebuild so players like him are huge additions in this context.

If we had a good Cal era team and he was added it wouldn’t be *that* noteworthy.

Osobor definitely moves the needle though regardless of context.

Who's hyping him up too high?
Or could it be optimism is the reality?
I’ve seen several fans describe him as the star player that could lead us to the Final 4, first round NBA pick, etc. Honestly, when he said he was 100% open when he entered the portal, something smelled fishy to me. Kinda like with Big Egypt.

Absolutely.

Fans are being optimistic, as they should. Cal is gone and most of us are rejoicing on account of that. But what most are not doing is being realistic. The roster, thus far, is abysmal.

If Duke or Kansas grabbed Butler and Oweh as starters, we’d laugh at them. Robinson is another guy that this fan base rates higher than virtually every person putting together portal rankings, and then the fan base simply says, “I love him.”

This team doesn’t have a scorer (if Perry isn’t up to the task yet) and it doesn’t look like it will have one when it’s all said and done.

Tristen Newton and Stephon Castle were both 5 stars. That’s off the top of my head.
Ignore first place winner.

Dude is a stud. Said during the season that he was a taller, less electric scorer than Dilly. Guy is instant offense and can flat out get buckets when it breaks down and clock shot winding down. Not a first team AA, but easily a first team all conference level player.
Jaxson Robinson?

I see him as a potential 2nd to 3rd team All-SEC player if he hits his potential. Solid starter no matter what. Definitely a good piece to a winning team. Projected 2nd round pick and those guys are usually pretty good college players because he’s not a HS phenom who came in ranked in the top 10.

Reactions: UKSouthpaw
There is nothing wrong with it. Some of our so-called-fans are not happy because the sky didn't fall after Cal's departure.
Its a little early to know that for sure. I personally think we have a decent group coming in next year. After a few games we will see how well it comes together. If we do well then Pope will see the UK Nation that he remembers so well. If it goes sideways Pope will be amazed at the very harsh criticism he receives. He will be making statements that he doesnt read the message boards. This is just the reality. I hope it goes well. Pope seems capable but we will know in a few months.

Reactions: Coach Marrow
It’s a little early to know that for sure. I personally think we have a decent group coming in next year. After a few games we will see how well it comes together. If we do well then Pope will see the UK Nation that he remembers so well. If it goes sideways Pope will be amazed at the very harsh criticism he receives. He will be making statements that he doesnt read the message boards. This is just the reality. I hope it goes well. Pope seems capable but we will know in a few months.
The lions share of fans are not going to go after him in year one. He’ll smartly tune out the nuts that attack him in year one. They’ll be a tiny minority that can’t be taken seriously for a second that will soil themselves and freak out. That’s their problem.

Last edited:
JR did get an invitation to the NBA Combine along with Reed, Antonio, and Dilly. He's in good company. "Abysmal" clinched this as a troll post.

• Love
Reactions: Cowtown Cat

How is it different Robinson didn’t start because he was hurt to start the year and told pope he was cool with coming off the bench, he still played starters mins. Getting 15 a game in the best conference In college ball last year is equal to what reeves did at Illinois state his last year. The people complaining about Robinson are the same ones that will never be happy with any add pope makes. A all big-12 performer will end up here, but some on here think he isn’t good enough, be for real.

Jaxson Robinson?
Yes

I’ve followed Popes teams since he started at Utah Valley. I was at Uk same time as him, and I loved the guy. Always been a fan.

I easily saw Robinson play 6-8 times this year and he was literally like dynamite. Dude would come off the bench and drop like 10 pts in under 3 mins. He is creative and has zero fear. He’s kind of wirey and can really create. This is why I compared him to Dilly. His best asset is catch and shoot where he is lethal.

If he comes to UK, then I’d expect 15 ppg minimum and All-Sec.

He’s that good.

Last edited:
Mitchell wasn't garbage, he was playing through an injury before he sat out. You don't want an excuse that he played well against oakland??? Other then reeves he was the only one that played well in that game. Where was sheppard, edwards, their 3 centers, Dillingham, and wagner AT? If not from Mitchell they wouldn't have been in the game

We played down to our level of competition by leaning so heavily on Mitchell that game. It was an asinine game plan.

We almost definitely win if we play Mitchell only spot minutes and lean on the talent that blitzed Bama and won at UT.

Why bother posting? If you read or had reading comprehension, you would know I’m not over hyping him. I just don’t want him to get the Justin Edwards treatment if he comes here. And if he doesn’t come here, I’ll assume he wasn’t somebody Pope felt we really needed.

There's the tell.

Edwards didn't get "a treatment." He rightfully was assessed as not having earned his starting nor overall minutes. That's not on Edward's and never was. It was a coaching failure by Cal in not using the bench as a tool to help him learn and grow as a player. That was one of Cal's biggest weaknesses, tho, so it was to be expected.

Cal lacks coaching discipline. You can't sell or recruit a person into being a better basketball player. You have to coach them and instill discipline. Disciplining them when necessary is critical. Sitting them on the bench until they are ready for the role is intrinsic to true coaching. Merit is foundational.

Instead Cal played politics and favorites so that he could sit next to the young men on draft night. It's his only way to be part of the NBA that spat him out decades ago. He's allowed that loss to define him, and he continues to do so with other losses. It's sad, but a lot of us do that and don't realize it.

Reactions: Phil_The_Music
Robinson just give you another option on a team that will win based on balance.

If we add Lanier, Richmond, or Poplar, that probably changes because now you have a go-to scorer at the end of a game; but if all we come away with is Robinson, our ceiling might be just having 6 or 7 guys who can get you double digits any night, but really only one or two guys who can get you 20 every other night.

We're going to beat teams based on system and positional competency and elite defense. Feels kind of like a poor man's 2003 team. Good players at every spot, with solid depth, but no first round pick on the roster.

I'm totally cool with that in year one. It actually sounds like an upgrade when you factor in the coaching.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT