ADVERTISEMENT

Are we hyping Jaxson Robinson up too high?

Mar 30, 2024
I honestly don’t know, but I imagine very few on this board have seen anything but a few highlights of select games he played well in (like his last game). Did you know that this would be his 4th team, he didn’t start for BYU and shot a worse % from 3 than Justin Edwards last year? I’m not saying this to be a Debbie Downer or belittle him in any way, I’m just saying that maybe he’s not the star that many are saying he is. The true test will be if Pope wants the guy on the team. If we don’t get him, I’ll assume he wasn’t a good fit, verses we struck out. If we DO get him, I’ll be thrilled but careful not to have unfair expectations.

Personally, from what little I’ve watched of him, and seeing the positive reviews from basketball experts, I think he’ll be a really good player but probably not a 17 point a night kind of guy. Likely not our number one option. I imagine we’re hunting bigger fish. Just a guess.

Last edited:
I honestly don’t know, but I imagine very few on this board have seen anything but a few highlights of select games he played well in (like his last game). Did you know that this would be his 4th team, he didn’t start for BYU and shot a worse % from 3 than Justin Edwards last year? I’m not saying this to be a Debbie Downer or belittle him in any way, I’m just saying that maybe he’s not the star that many are saying he is. The true test will be if Pope wants the guy on the team. If we don’t get him, I’ll assume he wasn’t a good fit, verses we struck out. If we DO get him, I’ll be thrilled but careful not to have unfair expectations.

Personally, from what little I’ve watched of him, and seeing the positive reviews from basketball experts, I think he’ll be a really good player but probably not a 17 point a night kind of guy. Just a guess.
Lol he played in the big 12 and is overall a decent player. Shooting isn't everything. If he comes here he'll be solid. Don't matter if he jumped to 3-4 teams that's almost typical nowadays.

Personally, from what little I’ve watched of him, and seeing the positive reviews from basketball experts, I think he’ll be a really good player but probably not a 17 point a night kind of guy. Just a guess.
Absolutely.

Fans are being optimistic, as they should. Cal is gone and most of us are rejoicing on account of that. But what most are not doing is being realistic. The roster, thus far, is abysmal.

If Duke or Kansas grabbed Butler and Oweh as starters, we’d laugh at them. Robinson is another guy that this fan base rates higher than virtually every person putting together portal rankings, and then the fan base simply says, “I love him.”

This team doesn’t have a scorer (if Perry isn’t up to the task yet) and it doesn’t look like it will have one when it’s all said and done.

Absolutely.

Fans are being optimistic, as they should. Cal is gone and most of us are rejoicing on account of that. But what most are not doing is being realistic. The roster, thus far, is abysmal.

If Duke or Kansas grabbed Butler and Oweh as starters, we’d laugh at them. Robinson is another guy that this fan base rates higher than virtually every person putting together portal rankings, and then the fan base simply says, “I love him.”

This team doesn’t have a scorer (if Perry isn’t up to the task yet) and it doesn’t look like it will have one when it’s all said and done.
For those who have been paying attention, you should have noticed who have been winning NCs lately and it isn't the ones loaded with a bunch of 5-star athletes.

Absolutely.

bullshit … poster is a troll … GBB🏀

I’m not. Maybe you are.
Why bother posting? If you read or had reading comprehension, you would know I’m not over hyping him. I just don’t want him to get the Justin Edwards treatment if he comes here. And if he doesn’t come here, I’ll assume he wasn’t somebody Pope felt we really needed.

• Haha
Reactions: Girthang
Tristen Newton and Stephon Castle were both 5 stars. That’s off the top of my head.
When was Newton a 5-star? By the way, no one is advocating not having any 5-star athletes. I just don't want them to become the focal point. Championships will be won with experienced players. Most 5-star players won't be around long enough to make a difference.

Last edited:
I think so. There are probably a dozen equivalent players to him available. To me the big plus on him is that if he does transfer, then we have better odds with him than others.

I mean, he scored 14.2 vs Justin Edward's 8.8 ppg - playing a whole 5 more mins per game.

He was a 35% 3pt shooter on a very weak roster by UK standards with 90% free throw shooting. If ever a number should go up upon transferring to UK, it's that one.

Doesn't seem like a superstar to me, but a completely viable offensive weapon on a team filled with nationally relevant defenders?

Absolutely. What in the world is wrong with that?

I mean, he scored 14.2 vs Justin Edward's 8.8 ppg - playing a whole 5 more mins per game.

He was a 35% 3pt shooter on a very weak roster by UK standards with 90% free throw shooting. If ever a number should go up upon transferring to UK, it's that one.

Doesn't seem like a superstar to me, but a completely viable offensive weapon on a team filled with nationally relevant defenders?

Love his free throw percentage. He has a beautiful shooting stroke.

There is nothing wrong with it. Some of our so-called-fans are not happy because the sky didn't fall after Cal's departure.

I don't think kentucky is over hyping for what we need.
He played for Pope for two years.
You need one guy out there that isn't learning on the fly.
He knows the vocabulary.
He can help teach how to practice, where to stand, everything.
And he's very good, not great.
I hope he's not our star we revolve around.
Maybe we're a 2004 kentucky, where we have solid core with few weaknesses.
But he's most important.

Personally, from what little I’ve watched of him, and seeing the positive reviews from basketball experts, I think he’ll be a really good player but probably not a 17 point a night kind of guy. Likely not our number one option. I imagine we’re hunting bigger fish. Just a guess.
I think he's a poor man's Reeves. A bit worse shooter, a bit better defender. He looks longer, but also thinner than Reeves. I've watched most of 8 BYU games from last season now and a lot of times he was relied on late in the clock to make something happen when the offense stalled, and that probably dropped his percentage a bit. I don't think he's the best player on a final four team. 2nd best? Sure. Among the options in the portal, and considering his connection to Pope, it would be a real miss if he doesn't end up here (assuming no NBA).

And I think his value is all the more so because he appears to be the only guy we could get who played for Pope before. I believe there's real value in having a non-coach around to help guys pick up the system.

This is not going to be a popular answer but yes. Lets give the kid a chance before we declare him the savior. He is good but there are some concerning trends in the advanced stats and conference play. I think its a little silly to think this guy is going to be better than any of our lottery picks. Still absolutely a take.

Some are too high on him others see him for what he is which is valuable piece to the puzzle. He is talented and familiar with Pope's system what's not to like. Now if you are expecting him to be an all american you may be disappointed.

Absolutely.

Duke recruited butler

This is not going to be a popular answer but yes. Lets give the kid a chance before we declare him the savior. He is good but there are some concerning trends in the advanced stats and conference play. I think its a little silly to think this guy is going to be better than any of our lottery picks. Still absolutely a take.
What advanced stats are you talking about?

Absolutely.

Butler started for a national title runner-up. But may be our sixth or seventh man if we sign Maheny or Brea to pair with Otweh. We’re going to be good.

F5uFBjWbQAAYi3t.jpg

F5uFBjYa4AAKaLe.jpg

When was Newton a 5-star? By the way, no one is advocating not having any 5-star athletes. I just don't want them to become the focal point. Championships will be won with experienced players. Most 5-star players won't be around long enough to make a difference.
right after his brothers (Figg and Isaac)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT