ADVERTISEMENT

Are Burks and Hart shown the door?

Taking 6 freshman in this sorry class especially with the amount overlapping in skillset was a mistake
If UK has much success next season (with or without Calipari), I think the returning players and the portal additions will tell the tale. And I might agree with you that generally 6 freshmen - from any class - is too many. But we don't yet know how many returning players UK will have, so the numbers might be needed. But I definitely like the freshmen coming in as a supporting cast.

I don’t think Fland and Perry overlap. Both can shoot AND score. Fland a PG that can shoot, and Perry a combo-guard.

I can see the overlap with Knox and Richmond. I like Richmond better for a couple of reasons. First, and most importantly, because I expect Richmond will be a multi-year guy. Unless surrounded by seasoned upperclassmen, I don’t think either has any business as the starting SF next season on a team expecting to contend for a championship. So, given that Knox has made it clear he’s hell-bent to be OAD, I prefer Richmond as the backup SF because the experience and development he gains will benefit UK in his Sophomore + years (while Knox will be in the NBA/development league). Secondly, I have the sense that Richmond has more upside and defensive versatility.

I can maybe also see some overlap with Quaintance and Cyril. Both are big bodies, although one appears more skillful and the other more explosive/powerful. But Quaintance is awful young, and I’d definitely want two more Bigs. Assuming Cyril understands he needs time to develop, I think he works with Quaintance fine (i.e., not too much of an overlap). But I would want to add one of the 7-footers from this year’s team or another Big from the portal (a good 6’9”-ish offensive college Center that can score some in the post and rebound against Houston/Tenn. level physicality).

We need huge portal additions and we need Reed to return to instill any sort of excitement for next season if Cal is coach. And I do not believe cutting existing players is the answer. If anything they should cut off some of the recruiting class.

If Cal comes back, and I were him, this would be my offseason checklist:

1) Get Reed Sheppard to return. Promise him the starting spot (he’s earned it) to whichever of the 2 guard spots he wants (PG or SG) and work with the university to get him the biggest NIL in college basketball history. I think Reed is gone, but if I’m Cal and I want any fan support, this is my number 1 off-season goal.

2) Recruit Edwards, Big Z, Adou, Bradshaw, Burks, Hart, and Ugonna back. That puts us at 8 roster spots taken without considering the incoming recruits.

3) I would fly out and meet with the recruits that I would be recruiting over in the portal. I would look to retain Jayden, Fland, Knox, and Perry. I would be honest with them about their roles and tell them if they want to start they’ll have to fight for it. For the rest I would give them the same speech Cal gave the Tubby/BCG holdovers: we will honor your scholarship should you still choose to still come here but we are actively recruiting over you in the portal. I would expect the remaining top recruits to back out and go elsewhere. When this all shakes out I’d expect to have 12 players scholarship if everything is going as good as it could be.

4) Meet with the bigs that I want to play at the 5. I would meet individually with Ugonna and Jayden. I would be honest and say one of you is going to start and play 25-30 minutes a game, one of you is going to sub and play 10-15 minutes a game. And one of you is going to get blowout minutes or fill in for injury. “Wait coach, that’s 3 people, there’s only 2 of us.” I’d recruit a glass cleaning defensive anchor from the portal and he’s the starter until proven otherwise.

5) Id meet with Bradshaw and Big Z and discuss being a stretch 4. If they don’t like it, hit the road. If one or both hit the road, I’m getting a stretch 4 from the portal.

That’s going to break a lot of hearts and go against a lot of what Cal has stood for and preached for years and I have very serious concerns he does any of that. But again, if I was the coach and I was in his situation that’s exactly what I’d do. Not that anyone cares 😂
I want UK to pursue Liam McKneely who recently decomitted from IU. He'll be an excellent stretch 4 and probably play a couple seasons in college.

Reactions: CatFanInIlliniLand
Give me 5 recent examples of players who had their scholarships pulled excluding ones who had disciplinary actions, broke laws, etc..

You don't pull the scholarship of a good kid who has worked to contribute to the program and just doesn't happen to get any meaningful minutes.
5? That's pretty specific. I'll take your word for it, I doubt I'll find any recent. Like I said, the portal allows for the gentle nudge. Assuming they weren't leaving anyway.
Use to hear about pulled schollys, but I might have overstated it.

I want UK to pursue Liam McKneely who recently decomitted from IU. He'll be an excellent stretch 4 and probably play a couple seasons in college.
I prefer stretch 4s at PF, assuming they're strong enough to fight in the interior for rebounds and on defense. But most freshmen aren't that yet, from either a 3pt. shooting or physicality standpoint. But maybe he works well behind Thiero in 10-15 min./game.

I’m just not seeing how the numbers work? These two plus six freshmen leave only five spots available for portal players/returnees who can actually play. I don’t see how we’ll be significantly older next season.
That would be Calipari level stupid. We don't need more wilting freshmen, we need matured in the program upper classmen.

I can't see Hart returning, considering the lack of respect he was given this past season. Really? You're a scholarship player, and only come in with the walk-ons? I would have left at mid-season before I would suffer the humilation. Brennan Canada was the only walk-on with talent to play major college ball. imo he would been a solid player in the OVC, but I suppose that being on the UK squad will open a lot of doors for Mr Canada in the future.

Frankly, I don't think next year's team will be nearly as good as the 2023-2024 team. I will predict 16-15 regular season, first round loss in SEC tournament, and hopefully, a decline of the NIT invitation.

I’m just not seeing how the numbers work? These two plus six freshmen leave only five spots available for portal players/returnees who can actually play. I don’t see how we’ll be significantly older next season.
Jayden Quantiance is the only freshmen that moves the needle for me next year. I think he’s as good as anyone we’ve had in the last few years. The other guys I’m not really sold on.

Reactions: gojvc
Jayden Quantiance is the only freshmen that moves the needle for me next year. I think he’s as good as anyone we’ve had in the last few years. The other guys I’m not really sold on.
I like the fact that Quaintance is at least a two-year player. But his age is very concerning to me if he is given a starting spot at Center (or PF if Calipari really wants to flip those fans wanting UK to compete for titles the bird). He is a big boy, but he'll be playing against grown men. We all understand by now that recruiting rankings, recruiting publication hype, and draft board projections don't have any relevance or even predictive value in regard to who the best CBB players will be each season.

no because they would be our only returning players

-SHEPPARD=NBA
-WAGNER=NBA
-DILLINGHAM=NBA
-BRADSHAW=NBA OR TRANSFER
-BIG Z= NBA OR TRANSFER
-EDWARDS=NBA OR TRANSFER
-THIERRO=TRANSFER
-UGO=NBA OR TRANSFER
-REEVES=GRADUATES
-MITCHELL=GRADUATES

We need huge portal additions and we need Reed to return to instill any sort of excitement for next season if Cal is coach. And I do not believe cutting existing players is the answer. If anything they should cut off some of the recruiting class.

If Cal comes back, and I were him, this would be my offseason checklist:

1) Get Reed Sheppard to return. Promise him the starting spot (he’s earned it) to whichever of the 2 guard spots he wants (PG or SG) and work with the university to get him the biggest NIL in college basketball history. I think Reed is gone, but if I’m Cal and I want any fan support, this is my number 1 off-season goal.

2) Recruit Edwards, Big Z, Adou, Bradshaw, Burks, Hart, and Ugonna back. That puts us at 8 roster spots taken without considering the incoming recruits.

3) I would fly out and meet with the recruits that I would be recruiting over in the portal. I would look to retain Jayden, Fland, Knox, and Perry. I would be honest with them about their roles and tell them if they want to start they’ll have to fight for it. For the rest I would give them the same speech Cal gave the Tubby/BCG holdovers: we will honor your scholarship should you still choose to still come here but we are actively recruiting over you in the portal. I would expect the remaining top recruits to back out and go elsewhere. When this all shakes out I’d expect to have 12 players scholarship if everything is going as good as it could be.

4) Meet with the bigs that I want to play at the 5. I would meet individually with Ugonna and Jayden. I would be honest and say one of you is going to start and play 25-30 minutes a game, one of you is going to sub and play 10-15 minutes a game. And one of you is going to get blowout minutes or fill in for injury. “Wait coach, that’s 3 people, there’s only 2 of us.” I’d recruit a glass cleaning defensive anchor from the portal and he’s the starter until proven otherwise.

5) Id meet with Bradshaw and Big Z and discuss being a stretch 4. If they don’t like it, hit the road. If one or both hit the road, I’m getting a stretch 4 from the portal.

That’s going to break a lot of hearts and go against a lot of what Cal has stood for and preached for years and I have very serious concerns he does any of that. But again, if I was the coach and I was in his situation that’s exactly what I’d do. Not that anyone cares 😂
If only Kal had your insight, and I’m not being facetious.

Reactions: Jmeeks54thebest
You have a 6’10” glass cleaner coming in who’s 240 lbs center who’s going to limit Bradshaw period he’s just too soft.
How many times do you have to see freshmen get bullied before you start understand what we need?

How many times do you have to see freshmen get bullied before you start understand what we need?
He’s the bullying guy he’s probably starting at center Bradshaw needs to go to weight training add 40 pounds or more act like a man not a girl scout better yet declare to be a transgender and go to the women’s team. This team would still be playing if Oscar had stayed one more year.

no because they would be our only returning players

-SHEPPARD=NBA
-WAGNER=NBA
-DILLINGHAM=NBA
-BRADSHAW=NBA OR TRANSFER
-BIG Z= NBA OR TRANSFER
-EDWARDS=NBA OR TRANSFER
-THIERRO=TRANSFER
-UGO=NBA OR TRANSFER
-REEVES=GRADUATES
-MITCHELL=GRADUATES
Dillingham is the only one who will be playing in the NBA next year from the freshman class. Reeves has a chance but anyone else on your list will be in the g league at best and NBA contracts probably state you have to make the team to get paid the dollars some on this board is throwing around.

Cal doesn't know how to build a roster anymore. Fans would like some returnees, and portal fills. Cal wants to load up on unproven Freshman, in a bad class. This is why fans are done, besides his coaching.
Fixed that first sentence for you😉. Lot of teams with a collection of talent, but most probably were missing a piece. Add in the coaching deficiencies and you get the results that are not acceptable to myself and MANY other UK fans.

Last edited:
You don't just kick players out, though. That would just be one more bad look on top of many other bad looks.
I honestly agree and understand what you’re saying! But, lol. I’m just not sure how you keep from hurting someone feelings if you actually want to get better this upcoming year. I’m not sure what he’s going to do bringing up “if we were the parents of these kids” every other excuse he gives. Ha. I will say I think Hart can be a pretty good player as a senior here so probably would help at a lower level now, but Burks could actually put on some good muscle and absolutely work his butt off this summer and play some big minutes this season. So hard to guess what he’s going to do or not do. I love all these guys though and want the very best for them. Hopefully it’s here for a few. Thanks

Cal doesn't know how to build a roster anymore. Fans would like some returnees, and portal fills. Cal wants to load up on unproven Freshman, in a bad class. This is why fans are done, besides his coaching.
Duke took the cherry off the top of this class. Maybe I am wrong. Cal said “UK eats first”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT