ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone play chess?

PlasticRemarkableEeve-size_restricted.gif
27a1c72a-b7a6-46db-9350-34a1d7d409e5_text.gif

Last edited:
Kirk and Spock played 3D chess, which Kirk often won by making "illogical" moves, to Spock's chagrin.

Is 3D chess actually a real thing?

I used to play a lot years ago, and occasionally play a game on my laptop now, but I would consider myself a "novice" anyway because I'm not that good, lol. Perhaps if I had more time to play I would improve.

Still play on occasion on a couple of web sites. Used to be decent...1500ish ELO, but would get dog stomped by the 1800 and up crowd.

For those who want to see the best ever, read up and watch some youtube clips of Magnus Carlsen.

I don't play enough to even know what ELO is. I assume some type of ranking.
But I did make sure to teach my two boys how to play when they were elementary age. They've even played with their friends some when in high school.

I picked it back up a couple of years ago. Can't ever find anyone to play, so I usually play at chess.com

(stockfish 14.1 NNUE)

I don't have an official rating, but I can tell you that I start to struggle mightily at around 1300 to 1400 (which means I pretty much suck LOL)

If I play a LOT (for me that means 5 or 6 games a day) I notice a pretty dramatic improvement after a couple of weeks, at a certain level. But the speed with which I lose that, if I don't play for 4 or 5 days is unbelievable. The time and repetition it takes to be REALLY good at chess (for me), is prohibitive.

Bobby Fisher beat all the Russians then moved to Iceland. He was a Chess Genius and a Genius Chess Player. One remembers every move or defense from the past but a Genius Chess player see the eventually game outcome after your first three moves. Fisher was both.
I truly think that Paul Morphy (not having the benefit of chess engines, memorizing thousands of possibilities from said chess engines etc.) was the greatest chess player of all time. And the fact that he preferred to win using elegant strategies rather than just "efficiency" proves it.

Bobby Fisher beat all the Russians then moved to Iceland. He was a Chess Genius and a Genius Chess Player. One remembers every move or defense from the past but a Genius Chess player see the eventually game outcome after your first three moves. Fisher was both.

I truly think that Paul Morphy (not having the benefit of chess engines, memorizing thousands of possibilities from said chess engines etc.) was the greatest chess player of all time. And the fact that he preferred to win using elegant strategies rather than just "efficiency" proves it.
Y'all are a bunch of sexist pigs for not even mentioning the greatest chess player of all time.

Queens-Gambit-Netflix.jpg

Played quite a bit in the military when we were locked down or deployed for a good period of time. Also played a lot while sitting in the desert waiting for the Gulf war to begin. Good game to fill the day when there are a lot of days to be filled.

Have not played since. Also don't know what ELO is either.

I was the mother effin’ 8th grade chess champ at my MS. Figured I would go out on top so I pretty much retired.

Since then I’ve only played chess sparingly...mostly just with my kids. But I stopped doing that once they got old enough/good enough to beat me (ironically that was about 8th grade).

Chess is yet another example of people taking something somewhat silly to extraordinarily ridiculous and neurotic heights. I mean people spending years memorizing thousands of moves good grief. How much does the best player in the world even make money wise?

Chess is yet another example of people taking something somewhat silly to extraordinarily ridiculous and neurotic heights. I mean people spending years memorizing thousands of moves good grief. How much does the best player in the world even make money wise?
Good question - I played for fun b/c I enjoyed it but when I started playing people like that took it way too serious I opted out of playing b/c it took the fun out of it

Reactions: Ron Mehico

Magnus Carlsen has a net worth est. at $25-$50M......tournament winnings, sponsors, exhibitions, video games, etc.

What is the difference between spending years developing your mind to do this vs. your body for a sport?

Learned how the pieces moved as a kid, never learned any strategy. Tried taking it up again last year but only have an iPad and the board rendering doesn't quite fit on the screen. Got good enough to beat the chess.com bots up through 1600, but quit trying to play live opponents In 10 minute games because of the rendering issue. Got to 800 but frustration made me quit.

Love chess. Before my two best buds had kids, the 3 of us would get together in one of the cities we were living in and hangout for an entire weekend playing a serrated chess game with the 3 of us as the other would take their turn in a board game like GOT or what have you.

🤓

Absolute BLAST. Imagine flying from Florida to Chicago to play chess all weekend 😂. I mean we went out and did stuff but sundown to bedtime that was it.

Bridge, particularly duplicate, is the ultimate military game. Requires cooperation & the opponents assets & their location are not fully known. Neither is true in chess. Mistakes even by the world's best are inevitable.

Bridge, particularly duplicate, is the ultimate military game. Requires cooperation & the opponents assets & their location are not fully known. Neither is true in chess. Mistakes even by the world's best are inevitable.
I’ll go with Spades for this but just my boys and my version. Joker joker duece ace are the highest trumps, 6 bags (not gd 10) you go back 100, no exchanging cards on a NIL bid, can go 10 for 2 (10 books for 200 points), etc we really locked that game down and made it hard.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT