ADVERTISEMENT

Anybody read this book, “The Bluegrass Conspiracy”?

I'm honestly not sure people fully understand how wild Kentucky was in the late '70s and early '80s. Anything was possible. Literally anything.

It was a really unique time and it's gone forever. What I miss more than anything was the almost absolute freedom. Freedom like people today can't comprehend.

Is this one of those things where everyone in central Kentucky claims to know people from the book? Kind of like how every Lafayette student for two decades somehow was in class with Jim Varney?

I knew a guy that swore up and down he went to high school with Austin Kearns. Despite being about 10 years younger

I can't believe they've never actually made a movie about it all. Great story, shows how Lexington was run by those with connections.

I know several of the people in that book. My aunt and another uncle were running with some of that crowd.
There was a Justified episode that alluded to it. The parachute crash was in Corbin, not Knoxville.and the guy was named Drew Thompson, not Thornton.q

I can't believe they've never actually made a movie about it all. Great story, shows how Lexington was run by those with connections.

I know several of the people in that book. My aunt and another uncle were running with some of that crowd.
Also have several personal family connections with people in that book. Among other things, my granddad was general counsel to the LPD at the time that was all going on. I asked my dad if they ever discussed it, and he said he asked him just one time about it. His response: “Son, I’ll put it like this; those guys did whatever the **** they wanted.” Never spoke of it again.

On the movie aspect, I heard not long ago on a podcast Sally Denton herself stating that every year when the option period arrives, she receives her money. Apparently there are plenty of people still living that don’t want that movie made.

There were 3, maybe 4 Vest brothers. They lived right near Southland Park, on Wichita. David was a year older than us. Really good dude. He played football at Georgetown College with Gary Durbin IIRC.

(Gary's little sister, Shirla, was my first "crush/girlfriend" LOL

Other than skateboarding, I wasn't a very good athlete. I remember you used to come by the house on Pasadena after school sometimes, and absolutely wear me out in basketball (remember, we had that killer halfcourt patio/setup behind the house) LOL

Funny thing that popped into my head, didn't your older brother have a killer sports car, back in the

There were 3, maybe 4 Vest brothers. They lived right near Southland Park, on Wichita. David was a year older than us. Really good dude. He played football at Georgetown College with Gary Durbin IIRC.

(Gary's little sister, Shirla, was my first "crush/girlfriend" LOL

Other than skateboarding, I wasn't a very good athlete. I remember you used to come by the house on Pasadena after school sometimes, and absolutely wear me out in basketball (remember, we had that killer halfcourt patio/setup behind the house) LOL

Funny thing that popped into my head, didn't your older brother have a killer sports car, back in the day?
I remember Gary and Shirley. The family was members at Rosemont Baptist as well. Played a lot of basketball with Gary there.

My brothers had that canary yellow 71 Nova SS that I wish I would have gotten, I’m still made about that. 😡.

I do remember shooting hoops on the patio. IIRC, your sister had a pretty good shot or am I thinking of someone else?

On the movie aspect, I heard not long ago on a podcast Sally Denton herself stating that every year when the option period arrives, she receives her money. Apparently there are plenty of people still living that don’t want that movie made.
The story implicates the federal government in arms and drug dealing. There will be a movie on that right after a hard-hitting, well-sourced documentary on the US involvement with the Wuhan Institute of Virology drops.

They won't. Witness protection.
You saying you believe Melanie Flynn is in witness protection?

Is this one of those things where everyone in central Kentucky claims to know people from the book? Kind of like how every Lafayette student for two decades somehow was in class with Jim Varney?
It's a story about dozens of people in Lexington, some from pretty prominent families. Of course a lot of people here know names from that book. My uncle used to joke that TBC was the only book he'd read since college, and the only reason he read it was to make sure his own name didn't show up.

Interesting side note... My grandmother taught Jim Varney when he was a student. She moved to Asland a few years later and had Ashley Judd as a student too.

Well she's probably dead now seeing as it has been 50 years or so but, yes, it is my belief that her disappearance was likely the result of her being given a new identity for cooperating with federal authorities rather than her being murdered and buried somewhere (or dropped at the bottom of Herrington Lake).

Well she's probably dead now seeing as it has been 50 years or so but, yes, it is my belief that her disappearance was likely the result of her being given a new identity for cooperating with federal authorities rather than her being murdered and buried somewhere (or dropped at the bottom of Herrington Lake).
Both her brothers are still alive. One is a police officer here in central Kentucky.

Reactions: CSC81
My dad went to high school and grew up playing ball with the one that was part of the Big Red Machine. Father was the one who always took your ticket and gave you your invisible ink stamp when you walk into the Keeneland clubhouse. Also a fixture on the Rupp floor; joke was he never sat down, just walked around the perimeter all game talking to people and gladhanding. He never truly got over losing her, from people that knew him well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT