ADVERTISEMENT

Any New Information on Runnng Back Peny Boone To UK?

shadowman4

Junior
Gold Member
Sep 21, 2002
I saw earlier in the week that UK had a great shot at getting portal running back Peny Boone. Has anyone heard any updates as to whether this is going to occur or not?

It has been crickets since the visit ? Would love to hear some positive movement here as I think he and Chip would be a bruising combo that could share carries and wear down defenses with their power running styles.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Butt hurt U6 trolls came on here day or 2 ago with comments that he was pissed because he finished their Spring down their list, that he was overweight, that he had a handler trying to pump up his NIL, that Washington, GA and maybe others had turned him down.

With Ray Davis as an example it shouldnt be hard to convince someone what this program can do for you. I know Chip is talented but if he isn’t an every down back we do have a hole to fill unless someone down the depth chart surprises us.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
A couple days ago a Louisville radio guy (Drew Deener) said that Brohm personally packed up the stuff from his locker and placed it outside the facility and had a heated conversation with his agent. He also said all this may cause UK to pass on him. I'm thinking there might be something to that. Because just a couple days ago it looked like he was a sure thing, then nothing.

Butt hurt U6 trolls came on here day or 2 ago with comments that he was pissed because he finished their Spring down their list, that he was overweight, that he had a handler trying to pump up his NIL, that Washington, GA and maybe others had turned him down.
I’m not butthurt as you say, anyone that went to any open practices would tell you that he wasn’t what we expected to see. He wasn’t bad or anything, he just didn’t stand out in any way that would make you think that he rushed for 1400 yards last year.

With Ray Davis as an example it shouldnt be hard to convince someone what this program can do for you. I know Chip is talented but if he isn’t an every down back we do have a hole to fill unless someone down the depth chart surprises us.

Chip is fine. No reason to cast doubts on him without knowing sht about him.

Reactions: Blouman and JASUN74
I saw earlier in the week that UK had a great shot at getting portal running back Peny Boone. Has anyone heard any updates as to whether this is going to occur or not?

No news anywhere. Maybe his visit didn't go as expected and one side or the other isn't interested. Would think we'd have heard something fairly quick after the visit otherwise.

JR had said that Patterson was running some with the 1s

Reactions: Girthang
Butt hurt U6 trolls came on here day or 2 ago with comments that he was pissed because he finished their Spring down their list, that he was overweight, that he had a handler trying to pump up his NIL, that Washington, GA and maybe others had turned him doStat.

I can't say UGA turned him down, but the only time I have seen his named on UGA's site is the last day asking if he had visited, and he hasn't. UGA has 6 backs on scholarship plus the returning leading rusher is a walkon. A crowded room already and with numbers as tight as they are don't think we are looking to add another back.

Seems UGA is looking at another back but not Boone, Dylan Edwards from Colorado is in the portal and Kirby is taking a look. Can't imagine we are very attractive to him, guess we will see.

Last edited:

Ray Davis isn't a very good example, he was a 1000 yard rusher at Vandy which is pretty impressive considering they were always playing rom behind with a sub par OL. I think UK's staff designing a scheme for Snell and Rodriquez to have as much success as they enjoyed, with less physical skills than Davis is far more impressive.

Yeah still not sure what Peny is looking for. Guaranteed starting spot? It’s like the Wr we just had transfer in then out before we ever played a down. He made the decision for Louisville and having competition is the only thing that makes sense as to why he would decide to leave already. Those are just second hand reports that he was running with the 2s and 3s so maybe there is more to the story. I’m not doubting on chip at all just feel like we would be using him in a way he hasn’t been used not to say he’s not up for that.

I honestly don’t know that much about Peny other than his ypc were great at a smaller school. I keep reading responses that our RB room may need some help or isn’t what it should be heading into the season and maybe this guy could be our solution?

Player and agent with great G5 numbers/production expecting to get overpaid like he had great P5 numbers/production?

I have 0 belief he had any offer from Georgia. They probably didn't even know he existed.

That's probably a stretch, but we have 3 about his size and skillet. I thought our RB room was full to, with 3 frosh, but read today we are in discussion with Dyan Edward, from Colorado who is suppose to be a different type back.

I really like this player, tough, strong runner...an inside guy. But it looks like he, his handlers or somebody close to him has overvalued his worth. I think he probably needs to spend some time with Ray Davis.

A couple days ago a Louisville radio guy (Drew Deener) said that Brohm personally packed up the stuff from his locker and placed it outside the facility and had a heated conversation with his agent. He also said all this may cause UK to pass on him. I'm thinking there might be something to that. Because just a couple days ago it looked like he was a sure thing, then nothing.
According to Deener Boone, Baron and his step brother Walker were supposedly going around claiming they were getting more NIL than they actually were. Supposedly Brohm showed the team what they were actually getting in NIL and then kicked all 3 to the curb personally. If it’s all true then Boone may have screwed himself as far as landing with another team.

• Wow
IMO the reason the staff pursued Martinez and potentially Boone isn't because of Chip being disappointing, but because of the lack of experience behind him

I think our staff will sort things out. They clearly wanted CT here. Adjusting to the system may be more difficult for him than expected. No real showcase of his abilities in the spring game because of limited contact. Lots of time before fall camp.

Ray Davis isn't a very good example, he was a 1000 yard rusher at Vandy which is pretty impressive considering they were always playing rom behind with a sub par OL. I think UK's staff designing a scheme for Snell and Rodriquez to have as much success as they enjoyed, with less physical skills than Davis is far more impressive.

Davis is a good example. He showed at UK his versatility and scored a bunch of TDs. If he was a 4th round pick out of Vandy, I am not sure he transfers to UK.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
According to Deener Boone, Baron and his step brother Walker were supposedly going around claiming they were getting more NIL than they actually were. Supposedly Brohm showed the team what they were actually getting in NIL and then kicked all 3 to the curb personally. If it’s all true then Boone may have screwed himself as far as landing with another team.

Weird story. UL had three guys (the ones no longer there) puffing about their NIL with their teammates and so Jeff kicked them off the team. Did Deener speculate as to what motivated the three to do that? Sounds like Jeff lost control of his spring locker room.

Weird story. UL had three guys (the ones no longer there) puffing about their NIL with their teammates and so Jeff kicked them off the team. Did Deener speculate as to what motivated the three to do that? Sounds like Jeff lost control of his spring locker room.
Sounds to me like the bouncing checks things have a bit more truth to it. They’ve lost like 10 players in last two weeks

• Wow
Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
If chip gets banged up it would be a combination of sumo and Patterson correct? I’m with the staff just feel like we need one more experienced guy especially with wright leaving. I hope chip can hold up to a full workload and none of this matters.

Sounds like a story concocted by Brohm/UofL media to save face when half of their good portal players jump ship without ever seeing the field. Dangerous game to play when you are trying to use the portal to build your program opposed to using it to fill holes.

IMO Sumo isn't an every down SEC back. He's an out of the backfield, slot, draw offensive weapon. Not someone to hand the ball to on 3rd & 2 from behind the QB.

IMO Sumo isn't an every down SEC back. He's an out of the backfield, slot, draw offensive weapon. Not someone to hand the ball to on 3rd & 2 from behind the QB.
Exactly, it's the experience factor, or lack thereof, is why UK's looking around at RBs. Never hurts to cover your bases.

Reactions: JHB4UK
If they were problems for UL we don't want them here. Hell if you are a problem at UL you should probably be in jail

Reactions: Coach Marrow
Remember 2 yrs ago? Adidas and the Clarkson family were going to use NIL to buy UL a top 10 recruiting class? All the 4 star California recruits committed? The photo shoots with private Lear jets and sports cars?

fun times

The operative issue is being missed here. Experience may be thin in our RB room, but our coaches like Jason Patterson. With Crease and Waller on board, UK has filled 84 scholarships for 2024. Only one scholarship is open now, so scholarship accounting is on the front burner. WR is our biggest need, not RB. There might be a couple more outbound transfers, but that has to happen fast. Until it does, they have to hold that one scholarship for a WR.

I think there is baggage with Penny Boone. But the overriding issue is that they are running out of scholarships and badly need a WR.

The operative issue is being missed here. Experience may be thin in our RB room, but our coaches like Jason Patterson. With Crease and Waller on board, UK has filled 84 scholarships for 2024. Only one scholarship is open now, so scholarship accounting is on the front burner. WR is our biggest need, not RB. There might be a couple more outbound transfers, but that has to happen fast. Until it does, they have to hold that one scholarship for a WR.

I think there is baggage with Penny Boone. But the overriding issue is that they are running out of scholarships and badly need a WR.
Then there's the issue of DL depth. UK's DL depth took a major hit with Spring injuries losing at least 2 pieces. UK offered 2 DL recently, they visited then went elsewhere. Another DL transfer is due for a visit soon. Agree WRs are needed but don't overlook DL too, adjustments will just have to be made.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT