ADVERTISEMENT

Analytics?

I seem to remember Pope said he applied analytics to the portal. Tough question, but what metrics do you think he uses?
I can't give specifics... Because I don't know them... But I've taken graduate stats, and dude, the amount of info you can glean from seemingly nothing is astounding. Not only from seemingly nothing, but also seemingly completely unrelated stats.

I wouldn't be surprised if GAs or whomever are combing through game tape looking at everything – even the smallest, most inane things, for data points.

I'm interested to see if anyone has insight because stats piss me off, but they're fascinating.

My guess is the answer is hermetically sealed on the porch of Funk and Wagnells so I suppose we could only form an hypothesis. Interested in what people think as we twiddle our thumbs until the next tidbit of rumor emerges.

I seem to remember Pope said he applied analytics to the portal. Tough question, but what metrics do you think he uses?
I called coach Pope and asked him. His answer, "The basketball ones."

giphy.gif

Reactions: St.PatterSoN-54-
It may be rudimentary now but Pitino charted deflections in the 90's. I guess he still does. Supposedly measured defensive intensity.

Do they understand GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! And RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN!! 😁
Look dude, it's 2024. You have to look at the deep numbers to actually understand what's going on.

E.g.

"Avg RUUUUUUUUN per 40 mins" or "GOOOOOOO over replacement, pace adjusted"

See a thread I started for my opinion:

Transfer Portal BIG BOARD - Player Ratings Thread

I've spent a lot of time looking at various analytics on the portal players. The Player Efficiency Rating (at College Basketball Reference) seems to be a high indicator of a player's overall success. There are no players that I have come across that were not good players who had a high PER. I put together a spreadsheet of over 200 players, including from the Final Four teams and Kentucky teams this year, plus many of the transfer players (not all of course), and the average PER is around 17.3. So, I would put the average college basketball player at a PER of around 17.3. That may be a little high, considering I have opted not to include all of the portal players, especially those with a low PER.

One thing that I like about the transfer portal is that you are dealing with basketball players who have played in college, and not high schoolers whose competition level has huge factors on their ratings. The portal gives us a lot more accurate indication of what a player will do based on what they have done. Most players with high PERs continue that trend through their career.

I would say PERs between 14-20 are average, 21-25 are above average (Reed Sheppard, Antonio Reeves), and 26-30 are great) and 30+ are phenomenal (Zach Edey was 39.3 this year; Oscar Tshiebwe was 35.0 in 2022).

The only thing I don't know how to factor for is PER when transferring from Mid-Major or lower programs to Power Conferences. Generally, there's a dip, but not always.

See a thread I started for my opinion:

Transfer Portal BIG BOARD - Player Ratings Thread

I've spent a lot of time looking at various analytics on the portal players. The Player Efficiency Rating (at College Basketball Reference) seems to be a high indicator of a player's overall success. There are no players that I have come across that were not good players who had a high PER. I put together a spreadsheet of over 200 players, including from the Final Four teams and Kentucky teams this year, plus many of the transfer players (not all of course), and the average PER is around 17.3. So, I would put the average college basketball player at a PER of around 17.3. That may be a little high, considering I have opted not to include all of the portal players, especially those with a low PER.

One thing that I like about the transfer portal is that you are dealing with basketball players who have played in college, and not high schoolers whose competition level has huge factors on their ratings. The portal gives us a lot more accurate indication of what a player will do based on what they have done. Most players with high PERs continue that trend through their career.

I would say PERs between 14-20 are average, 21-25 are above average (Reed Sheppard, Antonio Reeves), and 26-30 are great) and 30+ are phenomenal (Zach Edey was 39.3 this year; Oscar Tshiebwe was 35.0 in 2022).

The only thing I don't know how to factor for is PER when transferring from Mid-Major or lower programs to Power Conferences. Generally, there's a dip, but not always.
Very, very interesting. Love these kind of posts.

Reactions: Eight_Banners
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT