ADVERTISEMENT

An interesting "what if" team composed of 1990s era UK greats

UKfan215

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 1, 2003
Picture a team composed of these starters when they were in their prime. What kind of havoc could this roster unleash if inserted into present day college basketball?

PG Travis Ford (or Anthony Epps if you prefer)
SG Tony Delk
SG Derek Anderson
SF Ron Mercer
PF Jamal Mashburn

Your biggest guy on the court would only go 6-8/240, but man oh man, you'd have awesome shooters at every position on the floor with some incredible athleticism mixed in as well. A team like that would look like this year's Baylor team on steroids. I think such a group could terrorize college basketball today. If there could ever be a legitimate 40-0 squad, that would be it I think. I'd love to see what that group could have done playing together on the court at once in their prime. While that lineup might not have been ideal for the 1990s when there was still lots of quality big men going to college beyond one year, I think it would have still been incredibly effective. But it would absolutely dominate today with crisp passing and good floor spacing. They would simply be impossible to defend.

I've said all season that our fans haven't realized the game has changed. They are stuck in 1998. This is about the 4th post in the last 3/4 weeks in which someone is talking about the 90's teams.
Smh.
Those days are not coming back in college basketball.

I've said all season that our fans haven't realized the game has changed. They are stuck in 1998. This is about the 4th post in the last 3/4 weeks in which someone is talking about the 90's teams.
Smh.
If that is what you got from reading my post, then I'd suggest you go back and read it again. I know the game has changed and the 1990's isn't happening again unless there are drastic changes. All this post was about was designing the ideal team to play the modern version of college basketball using former UK players. With the lineup I chose, I am basically playing two guys who were small forwards as my bigs in what is a very guard oriented team designed for quickness and maximum shooting ability.

Smh.

The style of ball is coming back like it used to be played here. It is a model that works and the NBA has employed it for a while now.

Under Pitino you shot the ball if you were open. Didn't matter if you were the center. Mark Pope and McCarty used to drain 3s like Dell

The style of ball is coming back like it used to be played here. It is a model that works and the NBA has employed it for a while now.

Under Pitino you shot the ball if you were open. Didn't matter if you were the center. Mark Pope and McCarty used to drain 3s like Dell
This. The style Pitino played was decades ahead of its time. Been thinking this for years.

This. The style Pitino played was decades ahead of its time. Been thinking this for years.

I agree but I also think things are cyclical in nature. Pitino played that way but so did Arkansas, Kansas and Duke to an extent.

If you look at Roy's old Kansas teams you would hardly believe the teams he generally put on the floor at Carolina.

That's not what I'm referring to.
Kids staying 4 years and probably the best decade in college basketball history for talent.
Driving the ball is still at an all time premium.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT