ADVERTISEMENT

Aike vs. The Great Wall NBA GM Round 1

Aike vs. The Great Wall...which roster is best built to win both now and in the future?

• Aike

Votes: 17 56.7%
  • The Great Wall

Votes: 13 43.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Aike

All-American
Mar 18, 2002
This is the poll to vote on the first round matchup between Aike and the Great Wall. I will add rosters in a moment.

Here's my roster:

PG: Chris Paul, George Hill

SG: D'Angelo Russell, CJ McCollum

Wings: Gordon Hayward, DeMarre Carroll, Danilo Gallinari, Al-Farouq Aminu

PF: Taj Gibson, Noah Vonleh

Centers: Andre Drummond, Tyson Chandler

My average roster age is only 25. I have the best all around PG in the league in CP3. Have a backup who is a borderline all star in George Hill.

Superstar potential in D'Angelo Russell, who will get to learn how to be a lead guard behind and beside Paul.

CJ McCollum is only 23 and just had his breakout performance in the playoffs, averaging over 25 ppg over the last 3 games. He is an early favorite for 6th man of the year next year.

Have four talented wings who can be mixed and matched for various situations. Hayward is the guy in Utah. He's only 25 and talented enough to build around. Same can be said for 26 year old Gallinari.

Demarre Carroll was a crucial starter for that terrific Hawks team this season. He can guard 2-4, and knock down the three at around 40%. Aminu is another up and coming defender who had his best run in this year's playoffs. He can also guard multiple positions.

Taj Gibson is monster off the bench at the 4. Noah Vonleh is only 19 and his upside is Chris Bosh.

Drummond is already one of the top post players in the league at age 21. Crazy athletic. He will also get to learn from Tyson Chandler, who is not only a top defender and rim protector, but maybe surprisingly was the most efficient offensive player in the league last year.

I envision spreading the floor with Paul/D'Angelo/Hayward/Gallinari/Drummond.

If D'Angelo isn't quite ready for the bright lights, then CJ McCollum is.

Need muscle inside? In comes Taj Gibson.

Need defense and toughness on the wing? Enter Carroll and or Aminu.

Need shooting and toughness? Carroll is your guy.

Andre Drummond get into foul trouble? Bring Mr. Efficiency and top 3 rim protector Tyson Chandler.

Noah Vonleh will be brought along slowly.

This roster can win the title today. They can win with offense or defense. 5 years from now, and every year in between, they will still be stacked.

Last edited:
Reactions: lacocat
My Roster:

PG: Rondo, Collison, LaVine
SG: Harden, T. Evans, R. Hood
SF: Gay, Middleton
PF: Vucevic, Sullinger
C: Gobert, Valucienas

Dominant young bigs with prolific scorers in Harden and Gay.

Not looking nice for Rondo or Collison to do anything other than get the ball to Harden, Gay and Vucevic.

Gobert is my rim presence and a rising star in the NBA.

My second unit is also very strong lead by Tyreke Evans and Kris Middleton.

Zach LaVine and Rodney Hood are not in my rotation and are development players.

My ideal starting 5 in 2-3 seasons is:

LaVine
Harden
Middleton
Vucevic
Gobert

With an older Gay and Evans as my scorers off the bench.

I built a young team with valuable assets. My gameplan was to treat this as a true franchise draft and I drafted young players that would cornerstones to a franchise for 5-7 years. I would suspect I would lose several guys over the years due to salary cap constraints but I feel that I have replacements already in space.

At some point I expect to have to shed weight in Rondo, Gay and Evans, but I feel like I am already equipped to handle that.

Lastly Rodney hood will sit and learn from Harden and Evans.

Head to head, I believe I have two point guards better than any on the other team.

Harden will score, of course, but if he is really going off I have Carroll, Aminu, and even McCollum to throw at him. Tyreke is a bull in a china shop.

Gay is talented but has always been a bit of an enigma. I much prefer the budding superstar in Hayward.

I also believe we will spread this team out and give them fits. It will be hard to stick with a Vucevic/Gobert combo very long.

And I like Gobert, but he has shown in about a half season playing full time. Drummond is younger, has performed at a high level for longer, and is the better overall center, imo.

Here's my potential starting 5 in 5 years with their ages at that time:

D'Angelo Russell 24
CJ McCollum 28
Gordon Hayward 30
Noah Vonleh 24
Andre Drummond 26

Catpaw says: One former Wildcat > zero former Wildcats.

Advantage: Great Wall

Glad to see people taking this seriously. You're right, of course. Any team featuring Rajon Rondo at the point just screams WINNER, not only now but in the future as well.

Reactions: Mashburned
Catpaw says: A smart fake NBA GM posting his fake draft picks on a UK Wildcat message board would take all factors into consideration...and would be acutely aware of who will be doing the voting and would thusly make wiser choices.

Catpaw says: A smart fake NBA GM posting his fake draft picks on a UK Wildcat message board would take all factors into consideration...and would be acutely aware of who will be doing the voting and would thusly make wiser choices.

Eh. I drafted the best team I could. And I like my team. I had several UK players on my list, but they were overpriced, for the most part.

No Boogie? No care. Who has Boogie?

I feel like Aike's team is not as good as his sales pitch.

Great Wall does have Rondo, a proven championship PG. CP is a great individual talent, but has nothing to show for it. He's also a whiny flopper.

Wall would win now. Aike might win in 5 years if he drafts/acquires a Cat. I have to take the sure thing with Team Wall.

If I could get a guarantee that Rondo was going to play nice, I'd take that squad, because I think it's better top to bottom.

But Rondo can go full butthole at any moment, while the other team is facilitated by a similarly whiny but way less distracted PG who is even a little more talented

edit: looking again at the rosters - I think it's a push or slight edge for Aike talent wise, so this is a no brainer to me.

Reactions: Aike
No Boogie? No care. Who has Boogie?

I feel like Aike's team is not as good as his sales pitch.

Great Wall does have Rondo, a proven championship PG. CP is a great individual talent, but has nothing to show for it. He's also a whiny flopper.

Wall would win now. Aike might win in 5 years if he drafts/acquires a Cat. I have to take the sure thing with Team Wall.

LOL. While Paul was leading the Clippers past the defending champs in the playoffs, Rondo was whining his way off of the Mavs. I loved Rondo as a Cat, and I'm still rooting for him, but there is currently no comparison between he and Chris Paul.

How does he win now? He's better at one spot (Harden) and is starting 2 centers.

I think people maybe don't realize how talented Hayward, Gallinari, Carroll, Aminu, and McCollum are. None of those names jump out at you, and I get that. I know I put together a nasty squad, though, so I guess I'll just be satisfied with that.

I think Russell is one of the top 2 players in this draft and is a future all star. I like the small forward combo of Hayward/Carroll for Aike. Not a fan of the possible front court of Vucevic/Gobert on the floor at the same time. I give the edge to @Aike

March 14 Drummond went head to head with Gobert. Gobert went for 10 and 19 and Drummond dropped 4 and 2.

Drummond is very talented but disappears, I know because he cost me a lot of money last year in fantasy basketball. He reminds me of a much more skilled Randolph Morris.

If Vucevic can play alongside Dwayne Dedmon and do fine, I am sure he can with Rudy Gobert.

Vucevic and Dedmon started 13 games together. They went 3-10.

So if that's what you're going for, I'm all for it. :sunglasses:

Vucevic and Dedmon started 13 games together. They went 3-10.

So if that's what you're going for, I'm all for it. :sunglasses:

The Magic also went 25-57, their record with any given lineup is going to be miserable. The team has 3 good players. Replace Dedmon with Andrew Nicholson, same difference.

I don't think anybody would argue that Vucevic is a rising star in the NBA, his team going 25-57 also shows that he isn't an world star who can carry a sub-par team. I just want him to score for me and I don't expect too much more than that.

The Magic also went 25-57, their record with any given lineup is going to be miserable. The team has 3 good players. Replace Dedmon with Andrew Nicholson, same difference.

I don't think anybody would argue that Vucevic is a rising star in the NBA, his team going 25-57 also shows that he isn't an world star who can carry a sub-par team. I just want him to score for me and I don't expect too much more than that.

I think Vucevic is a nice player, I just think he is a 5 who would struggle guarding 4's - especially in today's NBA.

I would start Gallinari at the 4. He's 6'10" and handles and shoots like a 2 guard. Of course I have the more traditional 4 in Taj Gibson available, as well as Vonleh developing.

I think Vucevic would score in this scenario, but he would be shooting mid-range jumpers while Gallinari knocks down threes. So you have to decide if you want to keep trading twos for threes at the 4 spot.

Then you have the issue of floor spacing. Rondo's man can sag. Vucevic hangs around inside the three point line. Makes it tough for Harden to drive - which is where he thrives.

I just want to know how in the hell you two came up with the method to choose those rosters ? I know why (for ish and giggles), but neither team would crack the 8 seed. Yeah, CP3 he just screams winner. If he has trouble keeping Deandre Jordan from staying in LA, imagine the problems with that roster. CP3 is talented, but like Rondo a hard player to get along with. Russell at the 2 ? He and CP3 would definitely click seeing how need the ball in THIER hand to operate.

It was a draft. We went in order and picked our players. We were building teams that could win today and in the future.

Paul is actually fairly low usage compared to other elite PGs. He is pass first.

Russell is a combo guard who gets to be mentored by Paul. The idea is for him to develop to take the reigns as Paul declines.

Rondo is no doubt my weak link. I drafted Collison as immediate insurance to him and he would be my bridge to LaVine. LaVine is my franchise PG, he showed signs of what he is capable of, but he is no where near ready to run a contending team. I wouldn't expect him to try and handle CP3 and he wouldn't even do all that great against Hill either at this point in his career.

I really really really wanted Russell so I'm not going to knock that pick.

The thing about this draft is the unknown of the future. We are guessing, we can't say anything for certain that hasn't already been consistently displayed for years in the NBA.

For example I can't sit here and say oh for my team Rondo is going to be a model citizen and all of his issues in the past are behind him.

As far as Russell goes we can't assume that how he played in his 1 year in college will be exactly how he plays in the NBA.

@Aike do you think it would be a good idea if we created a fantasy league and imputed our picks into it?

I don't mind doing all of the work in setting it up.

I really really really wanted Russell so I'm not going to knock that pick.

The thing about this draft is the unknown of the future. We are guessing, we can't say anything for certain that hasn't already been consistently displayed for years in the NBA.

For example I can't sit here and say oh for my team Rondo is going to be a model citizen and all of his issues in the past are behind him.

As far as Russell goes we can't assume that how he played in his 1 year in college will be exactly how he plays in the NBA.

@Aike do you think it would be a good idea if we created a fantasy league and imputed our picks into it?

I don't mind doing all of the work in setting it up.

Could be fun if we track them over time, since the teams were built for longevity.

was a hard pick as it appears aike has a much better defensive team top to bottom, and i like wall's future very much. i like aikes future back court a lot though and that made me vote him. barely. tight race, gl to both of you. you can hold your head high, i'm getting schooled lol.

Here's my roster:

PG: Chris Paul, George Hill

SG: D'Angelo Russell, CJ McCollum

Wings: Gordon Hayward, DeMarre Carroll, Danilo Gallinari, Al-Farouq Aminu

PF: Taj Gibson, Noah Vonleh

Centers: Andre Drummond, Tyson Chandler
My Roster:

PG: Rondo, Collison, LaVine
SG: Harden, T. Evans, R. Hood
SF: Gay, Middleton
PF: Vucevic, Sullinger
C: Gobert, Valucienas

Close, but leaning Aike. For Aike, you have the best PG in the league not named Curry, and 2 terrific centers who fit him like a glove. CP3 can make both of those guys stars, and I love the roster fit. Your wings are deep and versatile. Can go small ball (Carroll or Gallinari at the 4, even Aminu can play there in emergency stretches) or big (Hayward as a 2 for stretches), and enough shooting and youth at the position. PFs are... okay, I guess. Gibson has another 3-4 years of pretty solid player, and Vonleh offers at least a chance at future productivity. If Russell pans out, it's nice to have a SG that can shoot and act as a secondary ball handler. Weaker guard backups than many other teams I've seen, but overall nice roster balance and decent amount of upside youth.
The Great Wall has some very interesting pieces, but I don't like the overall fit of the team. Not a LaVine as a PG guy at all (or LeVine as more than average at any position), Collison is okay, and Rondo should not be a starter in this exercise. I think he's done (sadly) as a top 18 PG in this league. Harden obviates the need for a great PG, but I still think you want someone who can either shoot (nope) or at least be an elite defender (nope) at PG. Evans is a nice backup SG and can run PnRs as well. Nice SGs overall, maybe the best/deepest I've seen. Love the versatility of having Gay and Middleton as 3s - allows the coach to balance the roster on the floor as needed. PF - Vucevic just doesn't work for me as a 4. I think he's a C that needs an Ibaka type at the 4. Sullinger is an all right backup. Gobert - love this guy. Tremendous upside, seems to be learning at an incredible rate. Doesn't offer spacing, though, and that's a problem with your PF and PG. I guess him and Vucevic might work if V can space the floor a little? Otherwise it's cramped, and Gobert is a PnR finisher on offense. Don't love V at PF and hate the PGs, but love the SGs and SFs.

Close, but leaning Aike. For Aike, you have the best PG in the league not named Curry, and 2 terrific centers who fit him like a glove. CP3 can make both of those guys stars, and I love the roster fit. Your wings are deep and versatile. Can go small ball (Carroll or Gallinari at the 4, even Aminu can play there in emergency stretches) or big (Hayward as a 2 for stretches), and enough shooting and youth at the position. PFs are... okay, I guess. Gibson has another 3-4 years of pretty solid player, and Vonleh offers at least a chance at future productivity. If Russell pans out, it's nice to have a SG that can shoot and act as a secondary ball handler. Weaker guard backups than many other teams I've seen, but overall nice roster balance and decent amount of upside youth.
The Great Wall has some very interesting pieces, but I don't like the overall fit of the team. Not a LaVine as a PG guy at all (or LeVine as more than average at any position), Collison is okay, and Rondo should not be a starter in this exercise. I think he's done (sadly) as a top 18 PG in this league. Harden obviates the need for a great PG, but I still think you want someone who can either shoot (nope) or at least be an elite defender (nope) at PG. Evans is a nice backup SG and can run PnRs as well. Nice SGs overall, maybe the best/deepest I've seen. Love the versatility of having Gay and Middleton as 3s - allows the coach to balance the roster on the floor as needed. PF - Vucevic just doesn't work for me as a 4. I think he's a C that needs an Ibaka type at the 4. Sullinger is an all right backup. Gobert - love this guy. Tremendous upside, seems to be learning at an incredible rate. Doesn't offer spacing, though, and that's a problem with your PF and PG. I guess him and Vucevic might work if V can space the floor a little? Otherwise it's cramped, and Gobert is a PnR finisher on offense. Don't love V at PF and hate the PGs, but love the SGs and SFs.

Good analysis. I would say my pg backup (George Hill) rivals anyone's.

At 2 guard, CJ McCollum basically just came into his own during the playoffs last season. He's only 23, and I expect him to be one of the better twos in the league over the next few years.

Beyond that, I expect to be able to slide Hayward, Carroll, or Gallinari over to the two as necessary, and depending on matchups.

LOL. While Paul was leading the Clippers past the defending champs in the playoffs, Rondo was whining his way off of the Mavs. I loved Rondo as a Cat, and I'm still rooting for him, but there is currently no comparison between he and Chris Paul.

How does he win now? He's better at one spot (Harden) and is starting 2 centers.

LOL all you want, but Rondo has the eye of the tiger (cat), and you know that. CP is a baby back bitch, and deep down you know that, too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT