ADVERTISEMENT

Aidan Mahaney to visit UK

UConn signed a 4 star, Nowell who is a 6-0 guard that will be a sophomore? Mahaney would be behind him, right? They signed a swing forward, 6-7 Abraham, that was a four star and will be a sophomore. Same position as McNeeley and Brea. Are they willing to play behind those guys for a couple of years? Are those two guys still there?
UConn has two SFs returning as sophomores - Stewart & Ross. Both had good high school careers and have potential to be good. It seems UConn builds rosters for the long haul, so freshmen generally don't play a lot. Therefore, their stats certainly won't look impressive this season, but I would be happy to get either one on UK's roster. I doubt that they would hinder UConn getting another SF. Besides, somebody is usually going to be on a returning roster that plays the same position as a recruiting target. I think most that are worth bringing in are willing to put their big boy pants on and compete.

UConn has two SFs returning as sophomores - Stewart & Ross. Both had good high school careers and have potential to be good. It seems UConn builds rosters for the long haul, so freshmen generally don't play a lot. Therefore, their stats certainly won't look impressive this season, but I would be happy to get either one on UK's roster. I doubt that they would hinder UConn getting another SF. Besides, somebody is usually going to be on a returning roster that plays the same position as a recruiting target. I think most that are worth bringing in are willing to put their big boy pants on and compete.
So two young guys at his position and he is hyped. And freshmen usually don't play a lot there? Strange.

What did your eyes tell you about the defense/defenses that Pope ran at BYU?
I saw the defenders move their feet well. I saw timely help when the guy with the ball tried to drive past. Not sure what that move is called -- they sag off their man to seal driving lanes. I saw them double the guy with the ball whenever the sidelines would help. I saw weakside rebounding. The post defenders wall up well and don't foul the shooters. What did you see?

Reactions: G-PIP
UConn’s athletic department is in a hug deficit and can’t throw around NIL like other schools can. UConn’s selling point is Hurley, which will get them players
The athletic department doesn't throw around the NIL money as it is. That's primarily the boosters and area businesses. UConn's and every other schools athletic budget has zero to do with NIL.

So, NIL is no longer coming just from boosters and donors? Seems like I saw something about schools being able to pay directly now, but I'm not sure honestly.
You didn't see that, you saw the State of Virginia passing a law that student-athletes can be paid directly through the Universities, but that only applies to Virginia. Hopefully Kentucky gets on board with that.

The athletic department doesn't throw around the NIL money as it is. That's primarily the boosters and area businesses. UConn's and every other schools athletic budget has zero to do with NIL.
That is true but UConn doesn’t have a big NIl budget to begin with

I saw the defenders move their feet well. I saw timely help when the guy with the ball tried to drive past. Not sure what that move is called -- they sag off their man to seal driving lanes. I saw them double the guy with the ball whenever the sidelines would help. I saw weakside rebounding. The post defenders wall up well and don't foul the shooters. What did you see?
Thanks. I didn't watch any BYU stuff looking for defensive schemes. Did you notice whether they played more man-to-man and maybe switched in up with some type of zone, or vice versa; or whether they pressed much?

Thanks. I didn't watch any BYU stuff looking for defensive schemes. Did you notice whether they played more man-to-man and maybe switched in up with some type of zone, or vice versa; or whether they pressed much?
Mostly man-to-man. If they played zone it was a transitional defense that quickly reverted to man-to-man.

They pressed, it seemed, to break the other team's rhythm more than for steals.

Reactions: G-PIP
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT