ADVERTISEMENT

After a good night's sleep, my two reasons why UK has taken a step back in 22 and 23

Tskware

All-American
Gold Member
Jan 27, 2003
We won a LOT of close games in 2018-2021, but we have started to lose a lot of close games in last two years, and there are two big deficiencies which stand out in my mind:

First, we don't have the power running game to close out games which Stoops used to great degree in the 10-3 years. Some of it is poor O line play (mostly 22) and this year, while Ray D scored a ton of TDs, the running game was mostly boom or bust, just like yesterday, some really nice long runs, but a lot of no gains and losses, really missed Snell/C Rod type of back who could be counted on to get 2 or 3 yards on his own. Honestly, none of our other backs other than Davis showed a thing this year, that is a BIG problem in 2024.

Second, the defense has taken a step back, maybe two steps. Gave up 51 to Georgia, 28 to Vandy(!!), 38 to Missouri, 38 to Clemson, 33 to Tennessee, 49 to Alabama, and 31 to Louisville. Managed to win two of those games. No need to rehash the obvious needs, better D line pass rush to couple with Walker's obvious talent, better edge rushers, and a better secondary, in short, just don't have the personnel we had in 18 for sure and probably 21 as well. Phillips and Hairston both improved greatly this year, maybe we will see Hardaway and Dunn do the same in 2024. Think the LB from Georgia was the best transfer addition we could have asked for, but will also need some help from the freshman edge players, Robinson and the Smith twins.

Leary was a big disappointment, for sure, but honestly, he was a hell of a lot better in 2023 than Terry Wilson was at any point in his career, so I can't lay the blame on our subpar seasons at the QB feet this year, or in 22 either.

OT a bit, if you had told me we would sack Clemson 7 or 8 times, get an interception, and score 35 points, I would have bet my car on UK. Just a demoralizing loss when we played really well for three quarters.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News