ADVERTISEMENT

Achor Achor (PF)

In pope’s first year you set the expectation to make the tourney (hopefully an 6 seed or higher) and establish his style. If we make a run in the tourney like UNC did in Hubert’s first year all the better. To build a team from 0 players with pretty much no time and expect more is too much.

In pope’s first year you set the expectation to make the tourney (hopefully an 6 seed or higher) and establish his style. If we make a run in the tourney like UNC did in Hubert’s first year all the better. To build a team from 0 players with pretty much no time and expect more is too much.
Wrong . Oats rebuilds most of his team every year .

Reactions: JASUN74
Why think this way when you’re buying players available and it’s a business now. This isn’t recruiting and building anymore, most teams are going to have brand new rosters every year now if they don’t change the rules. I’m old school and hate it now but if it’s how it is you take advantage! Kentucky should be an advantage with our brand, money and resources we have. Just my thoughts on it. Three years ago and I 100% agreed with everything you said. Shoot I still do but it’s not the way this new professional college sports are now. I just want Kentucky to always be as good as they can you know, I kinda think we can be a little better this year than most if we get another couple great guys.

Wrong . Oats rebuilds most of his team every year .
Alabama lost 12 games last year and was ranked around 20 before the tourney, which is close to what I am saying. Make the tourney with a decent year next year and then see what happens in the tourney.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Why think this way when you’re buying players available and it’s a business now. This isn’t recruiting and building anymore, most teams are going to have brand new rosters every year now if they don’t change the rules. I’m old school and hate it now but if it’s how it is you take advantage! Kentucky should be an advantage with our brand, money and resources we have. Just my thoughts on it. Three years ago and I 100% agreed with everything you said. Shoot I still do but it’s not the way this new professional college sports are now. I just want Kentucky to always be as good as they can you know, I kinda think we can be a little better this year than most if we get another couple great guys.
Because it’s realistic. Teams that win in the regular season (winning their conference) have usually brought some players back. Once the tourney starts anything can happen so I’m not putting a ceiling on that, but to expect an SEC championship is a bit much imo. But I’m not trying to kill others dreams

Reactions: Fox2monk
Because it’s realistic. Teams that win in the regular season (winning their conference) have usually brought some players back. Once the tourney starts anything can happen so I’m not putting a ceiling on that, but to expect an SEC championship is a bit much imo. But I’m not trying to kill others dreams
I got you and do agree like I said, I just believe we’re still in on a couple we’re kinda waiting on that could put us in a position to compete with just about anyone. Now if we don’t get anyone else then absolutely I’m not going to think about a championship level team. I’m just dreaming big I suppose and wishing. lol. Robinson, we actually have a pretty good shot with, Lanier, who knows but some think we have a better shot at him than first thought so we’ll see. Anchor Anchor seems to be a realistic guy but again who knows. He’s a bad man and a huge guy if we get him. Richmond from seton hall is being talked to by the staff and would be a big time addition. I think Poplar is really liked by the staff more than a lot of fans and would definitely be a good player here. I really don’t know anything and am a fan. Read a lot and try to pick up tea leaves here and there but we’re not out for anyone of those guys yet so we may just get a couple. I’m going to be a crazy fan no matter. lol. We’ll know more within a few weeks I’m sure. Appreciate the post.

Isnt Tubby the only coach to ever win a title in year 1? Fisher at Michigan was the first but he was only the head coach starting in the NCAAT as the head coach took the ASU job and the AD said leave then and made Fisher the interim coach. so 2 guys out of thousands and people think Pope should be expectations of a title in year 1 lol. the agenda to set Pope up as a failure is clear with some people. Look at the other teams putting together portal monsters like Baylor, Ohio State, Alabama, Kansas , UConn.

The only expectations should be that we play as hard as we can.. if shots dont fall one game so be it.. just dont lose due to stupid coaching mistakes. If the coach is making good game plans and coaching well, puts together a really good team and they all play hard , a final four eventually will work itself out, maybe even a title.

Isnt Tubby the only coach to ever win a title in year 1? Fisher at Michigan was the first but he was only the head coach starting in the NCAAT as the head coach took the ASU job and the AD said leave then and made Fisher the interim coach. so 2 guys out of thousands and people think Pope should be expectations of a title in year 1 lol. the agenda to set Pope up as a failure is clear with some people. Look at the other teams putting together portal monsters like Baylor, Ohio State, Alabama, Kansas , UConn.

The only expectations should be that we play as hard as we can.. if shots dont fall one game so be it.. just dont lose due to stupid coaching mistakes. If the coach is making good game plans and coaching well, puts together a really good team and they all play hard , a final four eventually will work itself out, maybe even a title.
This.

The point is that if you have 10-12, how are you going to play all them? You can’t, you have to get guys who are cool with developing and are cool in smaller roles. I would want achor to but if you have 10 plus players expecting mins it’s becomes harder to keep the team together
My post was addressing the "Williams not being happy", and if was not based on number of players, but position of the 2 players. So you are saying you would not want 10 real good players ? My opinion, collect as much talent as possible. If you want minutes, earn them. It is not just Williams, but anybody, if they are playing well, they will get the minutes. NOBODY is going to get 30 mpg, it is just not Pope's style. He has a lot of guys who play 20-25. Which is plenty and keeps them fresh for the whole game.

With the injuries we have had the last couple seasons, a PF backup is making me panic a bit. I know there was some talk about Achor interest. Has that waned? Anyone know of any other PF interest? My dream is to add Robinson, Lanier, and a solid backup PF.
Not disagreeing with you at all. But I'm really hoping the injury bug left with Cal.

Exactly, we have no idea how this team will mesh. We have to wait until the final roster anyway to even try to guess.

Reactions: JASUN74

If Kevin Ollie didn't do it his 1st year, he did it in his 2nd. And with Hubert Davis going to the title game in HIS first year.. that sort of tells you just how important it can be to have a HOF coach set you up for success. Not one of these 3 ever went on to have near the same success, and I think we can at least give some credit to Pitino/Calhoun/Roy in these cases. Those 3 were the talent. Their successors kind of just coasted from there.

If Kevin Ollie didn't do it his 1st year, he did it in his 2nd. And with Hubert Davis going to the title game in HIS first year.. that sort of tells you just how important it can be to have a HOF coach set you up for success. Not one of these 3 ever went on to have near the same success, and I think we can at least give some credit to Pitino/Calhoun/Roy in these cases. Those 3 were the talent. Their successors kind of just coasted from there.
it was Ollie's 2nd year and like you said, calhoun set him up for success with the key players being Calhoun recruited players.

Not just 0 players but 0 coaches as well it’s unheard of in any sport on any level pro or college. People expecting to be the best team in the nation or winning it all are just unrealistic at best. It’s a complete rebuild and complete culture change all u can ask for is a new direction and progress. Of course none of this could work out nobody knows yet but after what we have endured everyone should be happy with the new direction. Now next year if we don’t play well and strike out on all the top freshmen and transfers then start questioning things but right now it’s nothing less than a great job in such a small time frame.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT