ADVERTISEMENT

Achor Achor (PF)

Agre, I just don’t see guys like Watkins and achor coming here to play 18-20 mins a game. Poplar you can maybe convince, even he is a longshot.
Robinson and a backup 4 are what we close the roster out with
Achor is used to it. Samford played uptempo full court pressure defense and he only played 22 minutes per game and still put up those numbers

but when Carr was the first 4 taken, was he told it would only be 20 mpg or did he think he was playing 26 or so. That can be a big deal to many players
I suspect minutes, in regards to a specific #, wasn't mentioned. I'd imagine Pope's pitch would be "I'm trying to bring in 2 quality players at each position, you and one other guy. You will compete in practice each day for the opportunity to start. Starters will not be locked in...that will be earned on a weekly basis. Regardless of whether or not you win the starting nod, you will see a lot of p.t., because I play a lot of guys. If you've got the hot hand this game, you may get a 26/14 split in your favor; if the other guy gets hot, same thing applies. If both are going good, expect a 20/20ish split. I'd love to have you with us"

Or something similar...

Williams is a 5, Carr can play 3, 4 or 5. Achor is a 4. I expect Pope to play 9 or 10 players significant minutes
I could be wrong, but I just don't see a transfer coming here to play 20 min. I think it's going to be important for pope to get a 8 man rotation,and giving them a lot of playing time together. The quicker they play off each other the better we will be! JMO.

Reactions: sportspm
Depends how we play. If you’ve got quality depth, extend the defense 94 ft. Play 10 quality players, rotate fresh legs, wear the other team out. That’s the way we played in the 90’s.
His BYU teams didn’t pressure defense that way though. Probably didn’t have the talent. He did play 8 or 9 though. It’s an active offense at least, maybe hard to play 30+ minutes

Back in the day you would try to wear opponents out by playing smothering, pressing defense. I THINK Pope wants to wear teams out by playing an up tempo offense that is constantly moving. So defenses wear out chasing them around. He wants lots of quality players to sub in and out so the defense never gets a break.

Reactions: lazycat75
Back in the day you would try to wear opponents out by playing smothering, pressing defense. I THINK Pope wants to wear teams out by playing an up tempo offense that is constantly moving. So defenses wear out chasing them around. He wants lots of quality players to sub in and out so the defense never gets a break.
This is true. I never played D1 ball but I know I was a good defender in high school and I always hated playing defense on a guy that was constantly moving.

Reactions: DDMatUK=NBA
Depends how we play. If you’ve got quality depth, extend the defense 94 ft. Play 10 quality players, rotate fresh legs, wear the other team out. That’s the way we played in the 90’s.
His BYU teams didn’t pressure defense that way though. Probably didn’t have the talent. He did play 8 or 9 though. It’s an active offense at least, maybe hard to play 30+ minutes
Makes your team be in shape, turns your defense into offense, wear teams out just trying to get past midcourt.

Bring him home, Pope. Parting with Osobor and then this dude's entrance into the portal are certainly... fortuitous.

Stats: https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/stats/_/id/5107364/achor-achor

Summary: 6'9", #230 Power Forward.
16 PPG, 6 RPG, 1.5 APG, and nearly 60% from the field, 43.5% from three on 62 tries last year. Was a beast on Samford's team. Decent/good free throw shooter at 71%

Achor put the fear of God in Kansas.

More highlights:
This dude looks like a pro ... did he put his name in the draft also?

For those that believe going into any season with 3 dudes playing all of the minutes at the 4/5 positions is a good idea I invite you to look back on our own recent history and point me to the roster that had less than 4 in those positions. What happens when there is foul trouble and or injuries?

Last edited:
Williams is a 5, Carr can play 3, 4 or 5. Achor is a 4. I expect Pope to play 9 or 10 players significant minutes
Right. If like he does like he did at BYU players don't stop and rest waiting on the ball. They are in constant motion. Hope he used the same here. It's beautiful basketball. 20 min might be enough.

For those that believe going into any season with 3 dudes playing all of the minutes at the 4/5 positions is a good idea I invite you to look back on our own recent history and point me to the roster that had less than 4 in those positions. What happens when there is foul trouble and or injuries?
Thank you. It is not a recipe for success.

Has anyone heard any more about Achor? Man this dude is a statistical smokeshow. We have to get this man here even if we need to impersonate the entire Eastern Kentucky University to do it.

I found a guy Lance Dawe in his Locked On Kentucky vblog giving some deep dive about stats about Achor:
  • Shot 65% at the rim
  • True lob threat
  • In the 89th percentile of roll/pop scorers
  • Shot 31% on left-break threes, but shot 65% on right-break threes. 65%!!
  • 9% block rate
  • 11.2% offensive rebound rate
  • In the 96th percentile of catch and shoot players
  • 67% effective field goal percentage on catch-and-shoot shots
This guy in Mark Pope's offense would just be a bazooka to the face for opponents.

Bring him home, Pope. Parting with Osobor and then this dude's entrance into the portal are certainly... fortuitous.

Stats: https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/stats/_/id/5107364/achor-achor

Summary: 6'9", #230 Power Forward.
16 PPG, 6 RPG, 1.5 APG, and nearly 60% from the field, 43.5% from three on 62 tries last year. Was a beast on Samford's team. Decent/good free throw shooter at 71%

Achor put the fear of God in Kansas.

More highlights:
With the numbers Achor put up last season 16.1 PPG, 6.1 rebounds a game & .435 from 3 point range. WHY did he play only 22 minutes a game? A 6'9" 230 pound power forward that shoots the 3 like he does. He would be perfect for Mark Pope's offense. BUT WHY did he play only 22 minutes a game?

With the numbers Achor put up last season 16.1 PPG, 6.1 rebounds a game & .435 from 3 point range. WHY did he play only 22 minutes a game? A 6'9" 230 pound power forward that shoots the 3 like he does. He would be perfect for Mark Pope's offense. BUT WHY did he play only 22 minutes a game?
Probably because Samford plays very fast and full court pressure defense

Reactions: BlueSince92
Why are you worried about somebody being pissed off? What are they gonna do, transfer, something which will probably happen next year anyway?
Because he has to build a roster that has some guys stay and build continuity. He already had to go convince a player to stay committed

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT