ADVERTISEMENT

Abraham Lincoln on the Kentucky coaching dilemma...

MdWIldcat55

All-American
Dec 9, 2007
After watching the Army of the Potomac endure yet another crushing defeat at the hands of Robert E. Lee's Confederate Army at Fredericksburg, in December, 1862, the cabinet, Congress and the entire Northern population was pressuring Lincoln to appoint a new commander -- it didn't matter who, just get a new guy in charge.

"Anybody will do for you, but I need SOMEBODY," Lincoln told his cabinet.

Unfortunately, it'd be at least two years before "somebody" - in the person of Ulysses Grant - emerged. So he appointed Major Gen. Joseph Hooker, who seemed like the best of the "anybodies" available to head the Union's eastern army...and Hooker promptly got his troops demolished and routed at Chancellorsville.

Based on the dozens of 'suggestions' on this site in recent days, anybody will do for most fans desperate to see Calipari replaced. But Kentucky needs SOMEBODY. And the very few people who would be a very safe bet to turn things around -- Donovan, Brad Stevens, Hurley, Jay Wright -- aren't coming.

I suspect Mitch is becoming aware that he won't get the SOMEBODY he needs. And that just hiring ANYBODY -- Drew, Pearl, Lloyd, Oats, Musselman -- is the fast road to disaster.

That's why I'm pretty confident every tick of the clock brings us closer to Calipari returning for at least another year, probably with a public endorsement so he isn't seen as a lame duck by recruits. Mitch has no shot at the "sombebody" that would allow him to pull the trigger.

Last edited:
mockup-a1cf35b4_1024x1024.jpg

After watching the Army of the Potomac endure yet another crushing defeat at the hands of Robert E. Lee's Confederate Army at Fredericksburg, in December, 1862, the cabinet, Congress and the entire Northern population was pressuring Lincoln to appoint a new commander -- it didn't matter who, just get a new guy in charge.

Unfortunately, it'd be at least two years before "somebody" - in the person of Ulysses Grant - emerged. So he appointed Major Gen. Joseph Hooker, who seemed like the best of the "anybodies" available to head the Union's eastern army...and Hooker promptly got his troops demolished and routed at Chancellorsville.

Based on the dozens of 'suggestions' on this site in recent days, anybody will do for most fans desperate to see Calipari replaced. But Kentucky needs SOMEBODY. And the very few people who would be a very safe bet to turn things around -- Donovan, Brad Stevens, Hurley, Jay Wright -- aren't coming.

I suspect Mitch is becoming aware that he won't get the SOMEBODY he needs. And that just hiring ANYBODY -- Drew, Pearl, Lloyd, Oats, Musselman -- is the fast road to disaster.

That's why I suspect every tick of the clock brings us closer to Calipari returning for at least another year, probably with a public endorsement so he isn't seen as a lame duck by recruits.
@Son_Of_Saul Ole Md just can’t help himself. I’d bet on it he has a Cal shrine at his house

This is like if Lincoln hired Braxton Bragg to come join the Union Army, after losing at Gettsysburg.
It's funny you mention that. Mdwildcat's posting style kind of reminds me of Braxton Bragg's style of leadership: condescending, one-sided, and completely alienating to anyone who doesn't agree with him.

Last edited:
Reactions: RunninRichie

That's why I suspect every tick of the clock brings us closer to Calipari returning for at least another year, probably with a public endorsement so he isn't seen as a lame duck by recruits.
Does this mean we will have to surrender when Cal finally does choose to retire??

Or, just shut the basketball program down for lack of a competent leader???

SMH.

Look, the sky is falling. The sky is falling.

Lincoln would have fired Calipari the same way he fired Meade after the battle of Gettysburg, and if you had been around in 1863, you likely would have said, "But Meade is the best we could get! Who else could have beaten Lee so soundly at Gettysburg!"

The goal was to win the war, not a mere battle. The goal was to crush Lee, not let his army escape back across the Potomac to continue the war for two more bloody years. Cal has become a coach who is content with winning battles that ultimately don't win the war, but only continue to give our rivals hope (just like Meade did after he had a chance to finish Lee off in Pennsylvania).

There's no way Lincoln would have tolerated Calipari's inept leadership style.

This thread works the opposite of what you intended it to.

Your grade: F

Last edited:

Hopefully in your anology he has the sense to get a really good power forward, sense we haven't had one since Terrence Jones and J. Randale. With the 3 point shooting we had this year what a blessing it would've been to have that and a physical Center. This would fix the problem next year no matter the coach. Except for Thero this was the weakest front court in a long time.

@MdWIldcat55 might as well make these posts.

“Nobody can coach like cal can!!!! “

“Lets trash a bunch of coaches that’s done better than cal recently while we’re at it”

“Oh no, we lost again I better hide till I see more pumpers have been posting like my boy Sejonesy”

“Mittcccchhhhh please don’t fire my babbbyyyyyy!!!!”

“Jonesy!!!!! Help their telling the truth on our coach and I can’t take it!!!! “

@MdWIldcat55 might as well make these posts.

“Nobody can coach like cal can!!!! “

“Lets trash a bunch of coaches that’s done better than cal recently while we’re at it”

“Oh no, we lost again I better hide till I see more pumpers have been posting like my boy Sejonesy”

“Mittcccchhhhh please don’t fire my babbbyyyyyy!!!!”

“Jonesy!!!!! Help their telling the truth on our coach and I can’t take it!!!! “
BBN, reminding Calipari and his cronies who we are and where we come from before they came to town:

tumblr_pigsygmzdK1xekk7jo1_500.gif

Nice post ... and true here today.

He'd say "One score and 7 years ago we witnessed the end of perhaps the most exciting years in Kentucky basketball history. Now we are experiencing the most aggravating and humiliating of times."
200.gif

Not to mention George McClellan - not the greatest strategist either😁….

Lincoln would have fired Calipari the same way he fired Meade after the battle of Gettysburg, and if you had been around in 1863, you likely would have said, "But Meade is the best we could get! Who else could have beaten Lee so soundly at Gettysburg!"

The goal was to win the war, not a mere battle. The goal was to crush Lee, not let his army escape back across the Potomac to continue the war for two more bloody years. Cal has become a coach who is content with winning battles that ultimately don't win the war, but only continue to give our rivals hope (just like Meade did after he had a chance to finish Lee off in Pennsylvania).

There's no way Lincoln would have tolerated Calipari's inept leadership style.

This thread works the opposite of what you intended it to.

Your grade: F
Lincoln continually fired generals. This is not really somebody you want to be comparing barnhart to.

"The definition of insanity is -- doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result."

Wanna take a poll on it and let the board decide whose right???

You can take any pole you'd like, I never went with the crowd. (I KNOW right from wrong... I do not need any help in that area.) Most of the time now the majority is who's wrong. I will stand by my statements crowd or no crowd. No doubts...

You can think or consider why I'd do this... would I really take a chance on a gamble? You be the judge, I'll stick with MdW. (Whether I agree with him or not.)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT