ADVERTISEMENT

'96 vs '24 stats

HagginHall1999

All-American
Oct 19, 2018
Averages rounded below. There are some statistical similarities. Two totally different styles of play, obviously.

Can't wait for conference season to kickoff.

'96
91 - 69
33/68 FG, 49%
7/18 3FG, 40%
18/25 FT, 71%
42 rbs
22 ast, 15 TO
12 stl
5 blks

Other Defensive- 42%FG, 33% 3FG, 799 forced turnovers, 22 per game

'24
91 - 73
33/66 FG, 50%
10/25 3FG, 42%
13/18 FT, 74%
38 rbs
19 ast, 9 TO
9 stl
6 blks

Other Defensive- 41%FG, 31% 3FG, 170 forced turnovers, 14 per game

Shew… what I’d give for ‘24 to have some of the defensive chops of ‘96, ‘96 just buried many, many teams on the schedule within the first 5-10 minutes of the game, and it was over. I remember watching most opposing teams warm up in Rupp and just shaking my head, somewhat feeling sorry for what was about to happen to them.

I don’t think so. At least they shouldn’t. This year’s team has a LONG way to go to get even close to 96. That said, I do like this team and think we can make a deep run.
I wish this team had another few games before conference play. Some of their current limitations/challenges might result in UK taking a few losses they otherwise wouldn’t perhaps later in the season.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
It's also a different officiated game than it was in 96. I never want to go back to the days where they let older stronger guards PUSH the ball handler to where they wanted to on the floor. Pitino teams always relied on the officials to get to get tired enough of the foul disparity that they quit calling fouls. It"s no coincidence that Izzo got less successful when they started blowing the whistles when his guards would put their hands on the opposing players.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
I get the stats comparison which is interesting. But no one is actually suggesting this years team is anywhere near as good as the 96 team, right?

There have been several "since '96" tidbits and/or asks coming out.

In terms of offensive production, this team is on par or better in several areas through 1/3 of season.

The '96 team created so much chaos defensively though.

So no, I don't think anyone is saying they are better or anything. My point was just to call out how good we've been offensively through non-conference schedule.

It is literally the best offense we've seen at UK in nearly 30 years.

96 team played five games against final four opponents. The stats are post season. This team has played a comparatively very light schedule. They also played 13 games against Sweet 16.

Georgia, Mass, Arkansas, Mississippi State twice. And played Georgia Tech, Louisville, Syracuse, Wake Forest and Utah once.

I appreciate the greater offense.

The 96 team scored over 100 points seven times after January 1st.

Last edited:
I want to see UK at the end of the season being as good, then I will believe... As of this moment I still think the 96 team was the best UK team of all time, or at least in that decade and up till this season...

GBB

96 team played five games against final four opponents. The stats are post season. This team has played a comparatively very light schedule. They also played 13 games against Sweet 16.

Georgia, Mass, Arkansas, Mississippi State twice. And played Georgia Tech, Louisville, Syracuse, Wake Forest and Utah once.

Great post.
The SEC was a powerhouse back then with Arkansas winning it in 94, RU in 95, and Miss St in the FF with us in 96.

There have been several "since '96" tidbits and/or asks coming out.

In terms of offensive production, this team is on par or better in several areas through 1/3 of season.

The '96 team created so much chaos defensively though.

So no, I don't think anyone is saying they are better or anything. My point was just to call out how good we've been offensively through non-conference schedule.

It is literally the best offense we've seen at UK in nearly 30 years.
Right. And the adjustment in style of play and more emphasis on the 3 is so important. It creates a little more margin for error and puts more pressure on opposing teams.

The 2017 team had moments of this but didn’t have enough perimeter firepower.

Reactions: HagginHall1999

Agreed. That said much of their offense came off of pressure defense and stealing the ball easy transition buckets etc.

I know you know this so I'm not telling you anything you don't know lol. Again these are two totally different teams I'm just saying from a statistical perspective where we stand today we have not seen anything like this in a long long time.

Great post.
The SEC was a powerhouse back then with Arkansas winning it in 94, RU in 95, and Miss St in the FF with us in 96.

The SEC was top heavy back then but the middle and bottom half of the conference was pretty much awful. They put 4 teams in tourney in '96.

I want to see UK at the end of the season being as good, then I will believe... As of this moment I still think the 96 team was the best UK team of all time, or at least in that decade and up till this season...

GBB
yep, but not the point of the thread.
Not a Cal or Stoops fan, but damn; I am a UK fan and when e are playing well...I don't shit about the negativity, its about the moment.
but that's just me...

I answered. Best offense we've seen at UK in 3 decades. Interesting to also see we are holding opponents to slightly lower FG%. That is really a result of easy baskets teams would get when we didn't turn them over back in '96.
It's a result of a mostly cupcake schedule and no road games.

You posted stats to compare the two teams. Then when people said there was no comparison, you gave a vague, sheepish answer that it wasn't about that.

• Haha
Reactions: HagginHall1999
It's a result of a mostly cupcake schedule and no road games.

You posted stats to compare the two teams. Then when people said there was no comparison, you gave a vague, sheepish answer that it wasn't about that.

Lol, ok man. Time to find something else to do besides argue on the internet.

Nobody said there was no comparison in the offense btw.

I see zero comparisons between these 2 teams. Way too early imo.

I'm not comparing as if to say we aren't losing another game this year. I'm comparing the offense primarily. Look at the stats. We will see how they hold up over the next few months but where they sit right now there is certainly a comparison. They are almost identical.

Reactions: Cawood86
It's also a different officiated game than it was in 96. I never want to go back to the days where they let older stronger guards PUSH the ball handler to where they wanted to on the floor. Pitino teams always relied on the officials to get to get tired enough of the foul disparity that they quit calling fouls. It"s no coincidence that Izzo got less successful when they started blowing the whistles when his guards would put their hands on the opposing players.
Didn't get tired of hitting the whistle in the 97 title game. IIRC 41 fts to UK's 17.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT