ADVERTISEMENT

8 schools receive invite to NIL tournament. Will receive $1MM each towards NIL

Kentucky needs to use it's muscle to have both the Champion's Classic game against Duke/Kansas/MSU and the CBS Sport's Classic with UNC/Ohio State/UCLA declared NIL Fund games, with a cut of the ticket receipts split as NIL loot. There is nothing "magic" about this new tournament. You could force NIL money as part of ANY tournament.
Yep...UK needs to make some decisions that reallocate money that would normally come to the athletic department and put it towards NIL. As an example, Nike and UK signed a deal in 2017 that runs through this upcoming season for $47 million in cash and apparel. In the future, UK should take less money and have the company then put some of the deal towards NIL.

NCAA needs to make the dance a money maker for schools. 1 million to every school that makes the field and add a million for every win in the tourney with the champ getting 6 million in NIL.

What they ought to do, instead of inviting certain teams while others get left out, is make the tournament field the previous year’s Elite Eight. That removes any perceived bias, while also giving schools added incentive to go deep in the tournament.

1) this should definitely not be allowed because it has a performance based component to the nil. That's one of the only restrictions on nil.

2) if it's some gray area where it isn't expressly disallowed and this is actually going forward (which appears to be the case) Mitch should have major questions. We should absolutely be in this no question. It's pathetic we aren't.
The article admitted it was a gray area and that the players would get paid after fulfilling some off the court obligations. So that says to me that the money has to go to the players. the NIL money is not collected by the school. But it also said the winners will get substantially more NIL money. That does seem performance based even if they have some extra obligations to fulfill, either that or they get paid substantially more for the same tasks than the players on losing teams.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Yep...UK needs to make some decisions that reallocate money that would normally come to the athletic department and put it towards NIL. As an example, Nike and UK signed a deal in 2017 that runs through this upcoming season for $47 million in cash and apparel. In the future, UK should take less money and have the company then put some of the deal towards NIL.
And then said schools are going to start claiming they don't have the funds to do maintenance and repairs, and eventually say they're not building new arenas.

And then said schools are going to start claiming they don't have the funds to do maintenance and repairs, and eventually say they're not building new arenas.
In their last budget that was published, UK had a surplus of a few million dollars. Since they can't take that money and put it to NIL, have the company itself redirect some of that money to NIL.

Alabama will probably be preseason #1 next year. They're coming off a final 4.

They are not historically a relevant team, and are the second favorite sport of their own school. If Kentucky football made it into the college playoff next year I’m sure Alabama football fans would enjoy us acting like we’re a big shot football powerhouse.

Reactions: jace2012
They are not historically a relevant team, and are the second favorite sport of their own school. If Kentucky football made it into the college playoff next year I’m sure Alabama football fans would enjoy us acting like we’re a big shot football powerhouse.
I couldn’t give two shits what Bama would think of us

In the NIL era, there is a big difference between the blue bloods of college football and the blue bloods of college basketball. The same schools will continue winning in college football (Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan, Texas, Oklahoma, etc.) because of the roster size (85 scholarships) and athletic department revenue (substantially more annual revenue than college basketball blue bloods).

When it comes to college basketball, there are only 13 scholarships to fill and a fraction of the revenue college football makes so it's much easier for any school to win now. I predict the blue bloods of college basketball (Kentucky, Duke, UNC, UCLA, Kansas, etc.) will lose their competitive advantage with pay-for-play. That is not the case for college football. They're completely different animals.

The exact same schools are in the top 10 college football recruiting rankings every year, but any school regardless of history can make the college basketball recruiting rankings top 10.

In the NIL era, there is a big difference between the blue bloods of college football and the blue bloods of college basketball. The same schools will continue winning in college football (Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan, Texas, Oklahoma, etc.) because of the roster size (85 scholarships) and athletic department revenue (substantially more annual revenue than college basketball blue bloods).

When it comes to college basketball, there are only 13 scholarships to fill and a fraction of the revenue college football makes so it's much easier for any school to win now. I predict the blue bloods of college basketball (Kentucky, Duke, UNC, UCLA, Kansas, etc.) will lose their competitive advantage with pay-for-play. That is not the case for college football. They're completely different animals.

The exact same schools are in the top 10 college football recruiting rankings every year, but any school regardless of history can make the college basketball recruiting rankings top 10.

Ok

NCAA needs to make the dance a money maker for schools. 1 million to every school that makes the field and add a million for every win in the tourney with the champ getting 6 million in NIL.
That would be $7m for the champ if they get $1m for just appearing in the tournament + $1m per win. But also I'm a little uneasy at the idea of rewarding the most successful teams with the resources to make them more successful than the rest of the pack. Basically the opposite of what pro leagues try to do with the worst teams having the highest draft picks.

Reactions: Fox2monk
That would be $7m for the champ if they get $1m for just appearing in the tournament + $1m per win. But also I'm a little uneasy at the idea of rewarding the most successful teams with the resources to make them more successful than the rest of the pack. Basically the opposite of what pro leagues try to do with the worst teams having the highest draft picks.
Yeah but that would cause intentional losing otherwise.

Reactions: TOMCATS1990
Reward those who win big, doesn’t have to be a million maybe 250k 500k.

Last edited:
Reactions: catfan220
I thought I heard that UNLV was the 8th school. I could be wrong about that though.

I just don’t really see another way of doing it honestly. Unless every participant is guaranteed the same amount.
I could see paying the players on the winning team directly, a la the new NBA in-season tournament. I think that would reward the winners, without further imbalancing the haves and have-nots. Just a thought. Obviously the whole NIL landscape is out of control.

I mean it's brilliant.

Why this wasn't allowed to be something all along is beyond me. It could've curtailed a lot of things and uncertainty we have going on right now.

Let big sponsors pay kids. It lets conferences and programs off the hook.

This will be a huge success in Vegas, and it will dominoe out across all college sports. We'll see these types of tournaments and "classics" start to pop up all over.

They need to move the Champions Classic to a big-time destination city, make it a real elimination type tournament, have the big sponsors cut a check.

It's essentially the Bowl Season model. Big title sponsors, destination locations.

Football needs another Bowl Season type event to kick off the season. Competitive match ups between teams that don't often play one another. Big sponsors, throw some money around.

This tourney would be cooler if low tier programs fought it out for a mil in NIL $$. I wanna see Binghamton and oral Roberts duke it out

Is that type of redistribution legal?

I see Nike, Adidas, Under Armour having events for their flagship schools to funnel nil money in the future. Also could see other business entities that have existing relationships with schools have events for their teams.

We really need legislation before this completely jumps the shark.

I could see paying the players on the winning team directly, a la the new NBA in-season tournament. I think that would reward the winners, without further imbalancing the haves and have-nots. Just a thought. Obviously the whole NIL landscape is out of control.
It will affect recruiting. Teams not invited will be at a disadvantage.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT