ADVERTISEMENT

5 best SEC players

TopCatCal

Senior
Dec 10, 2012
Who are the 5 best SEC players that you can remember, not counting UK players? My 5 are:

Pete Maravich
Shaquille O'Neal
Dominique Wilkins
Charles Barkley
Bernard King

Reactions: Cawood86
Allan Houston or Reggie King in place of Chuck. Chuck made his bones in the Nuba rather than the SEC. The other four are the same.

Had he stuck around for one more season, Chris Jackson would be at the top of the list. If he had stuck around for two, Jackson would have set the record for most career points scored.

Who are the 5 best SEC players that you can remember, not counting UK players? My 5 are:

Pete Maravich
Shaquille O'Neal
Dominique Wilkins
Charles Barkley
Bernard King

I'd have Maravich as my #1 overall but I never saw him play in the college so I can't count him.

To add to the list of contenders:

Chuck Person
Ernie Grunfeld
John Stroud

Chris Jackson was better than Shaq in college.
No, he wasn't.

Shaq didn't have the spectacular freshman year that Jackson had, but in the next 2 seasons:

He averaged 27.6 ppg while shooting 62.8%, 14.7 rebounds, 5 blocks, and 1.5 steals
Then followed it with 24.1, 61.5%, 14, 5.2, and 1 steal.

Jackson averaged 30.2 ppg and then 27.8, and truly was a spectacular scorer, but there's no way he was "better" than Shaq.

[roll]at Shaq's sophomore and junior years.
A lot of people, when they think about Shaq, only remember the fat, lazy version from the end of his career. People seemingly forget that from ages 19-30, he was the most athletically gifted big guy to ever play the game, with the probable exception of Chamberlain. Not only did Shaq do that his last 2 years of college, but then he went into the NBA (not turning 21 until late in his rookie year) and averaged 23.4 on 56.2% shooting, 13.9 rebounds, and 3.5 blocks. And Orlando improved by 20 wins over the previous year.

I never really liked watching Shaq play, and the whole "once in a lifetime" thing with players can be overstated (once in a lifetime can often mean once every 5-10 years), but someone that big, that strong, with that type of athletic ability, probably really was once (maybe twice) in a lifetime. Someone else like him will come along eventually, but considering that there was a 35 year gap between him and the only other guy who was really like him (Wilt), I don't expect it to be anytime soon.

Reactions: hotelblue
the Shaq of the Orlando Magic and LA Lakers could be argued as the best center to ever play in the NBA. Dude was unstoppable one on one and sometimes two and even 3 guys couldn't stop him around the rim. Just an animal that beat people up.

If you watch the SEC Storied on Shaq and Dale you will gain a lot of respect for Shag&Dale. I liked that Shaq liked the education part of it after his coach and dad came down on him and liked that Dale actually ran out on the court because of a hard foul on Shaq.

A lot of good names on these lists but I am not sure how Kenny Walker was not mentioned. It is hard to list 5 but Walker was a freak.

Not even on his best day. I'm guessing you never saw Nique play.

I guess I was leaning more "best player on the best team" kinda thing. Can't go wrong with either I'd imagine.

Hard to argue when Corliss averaged 20 ppg his last two seasons, won a national title, and MOP of the tournament. Dominique's UGA squads never even made the NCAA Tournament, right?

Not even on his best day. I'm guessing you never saw Nique play.
I'm guessing you didn't see him play in college.

You want to talk about the NBA, then yeah, Dominique Wilkins was vastly superior. In college? Williamson had a far bigger impact, on much, much, much better teams. In Dominique Wilkins 3 years at Georgia, they went 52-37 and never played in the NCAA Tournament. In Corliss Williamson's 3 years at Arkansas, they went 85-19, and won 13 NCAA Tournament games- with him as the obvious best player on the team all 3 years.

Williamson was a 6'7" low-post beast, which simply didn't translate into the NBA. Wilkins' game, transferred into a league where zone defense and double-teaming were basically outlawed, got vastly better. In college, though, it was Williamson who was the 2 time AA, 2 time SEC POY, and MOP of the 1994 FF.

Williamson was average but got a lot of press. I wouldn't agree he was 6;7" though. and yes i watched Nique play in college. Anyone remember Tony White at Tenn.? He could score on anyone.

Williamson was average but got a lot of press. I wouldn't agree he was 6;7" though. and yes i watched Nique play in college. Anyone remember Tony White at Tenn.? He could score on anyone.
OK, this is just idiotic.

If Williamson was "average", then how in the hell did Arkansas win all those games? It's not like those teams were loaded with future stud pros. A lot of good college talent, for sure, but very few guys who did anything beyond that.

Reactions: UKcats1988
the Shaq of the Orlando Magic and LA Lakers could be argued as the best center to ever play in the NBA. Dude was unstoppable one on one and sometimes two and even 3 guys couldn't stop him around the rim. Just an animal that beat people up.
Right - and the single biggest reason I wouldn't include Kobe in the Jordan/LeBron/Bird/Magic/Kareem pantheon of greats. He was Robin, to Shaq's Batman, on those Laker teams.....

[roll]at Shaq's sophomore and junior years.

Crazy to think that guy played 3 years in college, and even more crazier to think after averaging 27 points, 15 rebounds, and 5 blocks he came back for ANOTHER season.

And I think to many people think about the Shaq in the older days, as he stayed in the NBA to long IMO. He was truly dominate during those times.

OK, this is just idiotic.

If Williamson was "average", then how in the hell did Arkansas win all those games? It's not like those teams were loaded with future stud pros. A lot of good college talent, for sure, but very few guys who did anything beyond that.

You just said it, a lot of good talent but no studs....including CW. not saying he was terrible but putting him up there ahead of Wilkins? can't imagine anyone doing that outside of Arkansas fans.

Everybody must be young because I don't see Dan Issel. UK's all time leading scorer and his record will never be touched. He lit it up in 3 years. At 6"9" he scored so many buckets that would have been 3's today. That makes his record without 3's awesome. No one will catch him because no one will stay long enough and it would take 4 years with a bundle of 3's. I've seen good players listed but Big Dan could never go lower than #2 on my list!

Everybody must be young because I don't see Dan Issel. UK's all time leading scorer and his record will never be touched. He lit it up in 3 years. At 6"9" he scored so many buckets that would have been 3's today. That makes his record without 3's awesome. No one will catch him because no one will stay long enough and it would take 4 years with a bundle of 3's. I've seen good players listed but Big Dan could never go lower than #2 on my list!
As was mentioned in the OP, we're excluding Kentucky players. We're too biased :sunglasses:

I was fortunate to see 'Pistol Pete' play while he was at LSU. Rupp used to say keep the other 4 from scoring because Pete was going to get his points. I don't think LSU ever beat UK with Pistol. The guy was magic with the basketball, however. I also agree with the other 4 on the list.

I'm guessing you didn't see him play in college.

You want to talk about the NBA, then yeah, Dominique Wilkins was vastly superior. In college? Williamson had a far bigger impact, on much, much, much better teams. In Dominique Wilkins 3 years at Georgia, they went 52-37 and never played in the NCAA Tournament. In Corliss Williamson's 3 years at Arkansas, they went 85-19, and won 13 NCAA Tournament games- with him as the obvious best player on the team all 3 years.

Williamson was a 6'7" low-post beast, which simply didn't translate into the NBA. Wilkins' game, transferred into a league where zone defense and double-teaming were basically outlawed, got vastly better. In college, though, it was Williamson who was the 2 time AA, 2 time SEC POY, and MOP of the 1994 FF.

It's catch as many as you can day! I've already taken the bait and been exposed. Here is something I found for you, Georgia 1983 final four , their only one. Beat #2 North Carolina to advance to final 4. Lost to North Carolina St. at final 4.

Pete Maravich
Rack'em.

Most mesmerizing college player I've ever seen. (I'm 35) He was absolutely incredible.
It's catch as many as you can day! I've already taken the bait and been exposed. Here is something I found for you, Georgia 1983 final four , their only one. Beat #2 North Carolina to advance to final 4. Lost to North Carolina St. at final 4.

I think Nique was the better player by far,but wasn't he gone before said final four?

Take a look at Georgia's roster for 82-83. See if you can guess who isn't on it.

Try again. Try harder next time.

Pete Maravich
Bob Pettit
Shaquille O'neal
Bernard King
Dominique Wilkins

Just glad those three weren't on the same team,also liked Neal Walk at florida,and Clyde Lee from Vandy

Reactions: Friedas_Boss

In Dominique Wilkins 3 years at Georgia, they went 52-37 and never played in the NCAA Tournament.
Take a look at Georgia's roster for 82-83. See if you can guess who isn't on it.

Ok definitely hasn't been my day so far and I'm not afraid to admit it. My apologies for now! Until next time

In Dominique Wilkins 3 years at Georgia, they went 52-37 and never played in the NCAA Tournament.

You know I believe we'll become friends. It hasn't been my best day but your welcome to bring my mistakes to my attention. It doesn't bother me. You seem to want to dominate other posters and that's fine by me. I can keep you busy and give someone else a break. They would like that I'm sure. I haven't seen anybody that cares so much about their self and so little about anyone else than you. I'll try again and even try harder next time just for you!

A lot of people, when they think about Shaq, only remember the fat, lazy version from the end of his career. People seemingly forget that from ages 19-30, he was the most athletically gifted big guy to ever play the game, with the probable exception of Chamberlain. .

Some might say that is a little bit of a stretch. David Robinson played in the same era as Shaq, and the Admiral was by far quicker, faster and had better balance/body control than Shaq ever possessed. If you're willing to stretch your analysis all the way back to Wilt's era, I would point out that Wilt, Kareem and Bill Russell were likewise much faster, quicker and had better balance/body control than Shaq. Coach Wooden was convinced that speed and quickness were the most prized athletic attributes on the basketball court, but what did he know?

If by your reference to 'athleticism' you meant shear strength, than with the exception of Wilt I would agree with your statement. Wilt and O'Neal were the two strongest big men to play the game at the professional level.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT