ADVERTISEMENT

4 offensive plays and we’re down 21-0

seccats04

All-American
Dec 6, 2004
Talk about coaching malpractice. Has that ever happened in the history of college football before? Absolutely pathetic coaching the last two years.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
Stoops likes to play from behind. That's the reason he doesn't want the kick even as a big underdog. Would rather spot them seven instead of trying to score. First time all year that Bama had scored on the opening drive I think..

Our Secondary is NEVER prepared for what the opponent is trying to do to start games, especially against great offenses. They get CONFUSED and BLOW coverages to the FREAKIN DEEP receiver!!!

It's the ONE thing that KILLS us more than anything!!

I realize that our _ISS POOR pass rush contributes to this, but it has become a GIVEN and that is beyond RIDICULOUS because DB coaching is Stoops specialty!!!

Last edited:
That's why I always scratch my head when we defer when winning the coin toss. First shovel of dirt.
Because we USUALLY go 3 and Out against the best teams on our opening drive. Plus, by getting the ball to start the 2nd half, you have the opportunity to STEAL a possession against your opponent. And BOY do we need that EVERY game!!

If our offense was reliable to score on ANY drive, taking the ball first COULD be an option. But this team doesn't have that.

The first busted coverage was understandable after seeing van hiles clip. Odd bama used it against us instead of keeping it for a bigger opponent because it was probably a TD vs anyone on the first look.

The rest of those were completely inexcusable. At the game I knew the safeties were blowing coverage but until watching those clips I didn't realize just how bad it was. Pathetic considering we literally ran a coverage intended to take away that deep middle, and we still had a guy blow it over and over.

The fumble is what it is. I complain enough about brown on this board that I'm not going to do it again in this post.

Reactions: gamecockcat
Because we USUALLY go 3 and Out against the best teams on our opening drive. Plus, by getting the ball to start the 2nd half, you have the opportunity to STEAL a possession against your opponent. And BOY do we need that EVERY game!!

If our offense was reliable to score on ANY drive, taking the ball first COULD be an option. But this team doesn't have that.
As a double digit underdog I think you take the ball and try to gain some momentum. UGA and Bama both took the ball and scored easily. You kind of knew what kind of day it was going to be and hadn't even touched the ball. At least taking the ball you have a chance to get the lead and some momentum. Stoops is ultra conservative though and I expected him not to want to play offense..

I'm convinced he doesn't bother game planning for opponents he thinks we have no shot at actually winning. With the lesser opponents, I think he does strategize a plan, but if their coaches make adjustments during the game, Stoops has nothing. I think it's laziness and some inability to make changes that go against his Big 10 clock control philosophy. A top 8 paid coach should be a lot better than this, IMO. And once again, it's not that we are losing against some of these teams. It's HOW we are losing. It's demoralizing to the fans and players. We deserve better. I think we aren't far away from Stoops calling the Ice cream truck.

Last edited:
All kind of records are set for teams that play Kentucky, just like the back up QB's they have their best days ever too.

As a double digit underdog I think you take the ball and try to gain some momentum. UGA and Bama both took the ball and scored easily. You kind of knew what kind of day it was going to be and hadn't even touched the ball. At least taking the ball you have a chance to get the lead and some momentum. Stoops is ultra conservative though and I expected him not to want to play offense..
What happened when we got the ball first after the Tide scored on their opening drive?? We went 3 and out. Then after Bama scored on their second possession, we fumble it on 1st down to give them ANOTHER TD!!

What did we do when we got the ball FIRST in the 2nd half??? We drove down and SCORED to cut into the lead. Coen is MUCH better at adjustments than White.

All I'm saying is that we NEED to steal EVERY possession we can in a game against Bigtime opponents. Very few teams take the ball first if they win the toss. And the ones that do, KNOW they can score by doing so.

Stoops needs to do a MUCH better job of having his team READY to start the game defensively against these upper echelon teams.

Reactions: gamecockcat

We have done quite well this year on our first drive scoring 6 times. It’s the rest of the game we can’t move the ball

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT