ADVERTISEMENT

“This Isn’t Kentucky Basketball”

Rupp had four NC’s, 2 Helms NC’s, and one NIT that they chose to play in over the NCAAT.

So he basically averaged a NC every 5 years.

Not to mention 27 SEC championships in 40 years.
That‘s winning it more than every other year.

Cal only Has ONE NC in 15 seasons at UK.

There‘s absolutely no comparison between the two.
Well again, you're using different field goal posts for Rupp than Cal. Unless you're telling me you'd be ok with Cal choosing to take a team to the NIT instead of the NCAAT, which I'm sure you're not ok with...

What do you know about the Helm's titles? Because I don't think it's quite the flext you're trying to make it out to be. Kentucky was *chosen* as the Helm's NC in 1954, and they won NEITHER the NCAAT nor the NIT. So it's basically like giving Cal a title for the 38-1 team since they were the "best' team in college hoops. And to be honest, you could maybe give him a title for the John Wall team too.

Little tidbit here on the 1954 UK team: "Of note, Kentucky, the top-ranked team in the nation (with a record of 25–0) did not participate in any post-season tournament. Since several key players had technically graduated the year before (when Kentucky was banned from playing a competitive schedule due to the point-shaving scandal a few years earlier), those players were ruled ineligible for the NCAA tournament. Despite the wishes of the players, Adolph Rupp ultimately decided his team would not play."

The other Helms NC was the same year he won his 4th NCAA title, so you're doubling up here on his stats

And I don't care which UK coach you're talking about - it can even be Billy G - they played in a much, much, much more challenging SEC than Rupp did. So for one, he coached for 40 years so rattling off his 27 SEC titles as first place - as I previously said - is skewed because no other UK coach will coach for 40 years

Well again, you're using different field goal posts for Rupp than Cal. Unless you're telling me you'd be ok with Cal choosing to take a team to the NIT instead of the NCAAT, which I'm sure you're not ok with...

What do you know about the Helm's titles? Because I don't think it's quite the flext you're trying to make it out to be. Kentucky was *chosen* as the Helm's NC in 1954, and they won NEITHER the NCAAT nor the NIT. So it's basically like giving Cal a title for the 38-1 team since they were the "best' team in college hoops. And to be honest, you could maybe give him a title for the John Wall team too.

Little tidbit here on the 1954 UK team: "Of note, Kentucky, the top-ranked team in the nation (with a record of 25–0) did not participate in any post-season tournament. Since several key players had technically graduated the year before (when Kentucky was banned from playing a competitive schedule due to the point-shaving scandal a few years earlier), those players were ruled ineligible for the NCAA tournament. Despite the wishes of the players, Adolph Rupp ultimately decided his team would not play."

The other Helms NC was the same year he won his 4th NCAA title, so you're doubling up here on his stats

And I don't care which UK coach you're talking about - it can even be Billy G - they played in a much, much, much more challenging SEC than Rupp did. So for one, he coached for 40 years so rattling off his 27 SEC titles as first place - as I previously said - is skewed because no other UK coach will coach for 40 years
You’re arguing with a dude who is talking about making Sweet 16’s in a 16 team tournament and comparing it to today in a 68 team tournament.

• Haha
Reactions: CatsFanIL
I feel that.
I used to never miss a game, and a loss would legit give me sick feeling in my stomach.
Now it gets a eye roll and sigh.

Here’s the problem. Cal can’t win with transcendent type players.

Cal’s had John Wooden type talent with less than Dean Smith type results.

Even Deano managed 2 NC’s.
John Wooden had them after the age of 18-19.

1964: Erickson (Jr.), Goodrich (Jr.), Hazzard (Sr.)
1965: Erickson (Sr.), Goodrich (Sr.), Lacey (So.), Lynn (So.)
1966: Lacey (Jr.), Lynn (Jr.)
1967: Shackelford (So.), Abdul-Jabbar (So.), Allen (So.)
1968: Shackelford (Jr.), Abdul-Jabbar (Jr.), Allen (Jr.), Lacey (Sr.), Lynn (Sr.)
1969: Abdul-Jabbar (Sr.), Rowe (So.), Vallely (Jr.), Wicks (So.), Shackelford (Sr.), Patterson (So.)

And so on.

Wooden didn't have freshmen. Could you imagine what Calipari's teams would have done with sophomore-seniors Wall, Cousins, Bledsoe, Knight, Davis, MKG?

2013 roster:
John Wall (Sr.)
Eric Bledsoe (Sr.)
Doron Lamb (Jr.)
Terrance Jones (Jr.)
Anthony Davis (So.)
Nerlens Noel (Fr.)
Brandon Knight (Jr.)
MKG (So.)
Archie Goodwin (Fr.)
Alex Poythress (Fr.)
WCS (Fr.)

2014:
Doron Lamb (Sr.)
Terrance Jones (Sr.)
Anthony Davis (Jr.)
Nerlens Noel (So.)
Brandon Knight (Sr.)
MKG (Jr.)
Archie Goodwin (So.)
Alex Poythress (So.)
WCS (So.)
Aa. Harrison
An. Harrison
Randle
Young
Johnson

The "Calipari under-performs with the talent he has" argument, because "look at the NBA success," is bogus. He is getting these players when they are still boys. The NBA turns them into men. If you want to argue that it's Calipari's fault that he only has them as Freshmen, so be it. It is the way he has chosen to build his rosters, and he has to live with that. Comparing John Calipari's talent with John Wooden's is unreasonable.

And I don't care which UK coach you're talking about - it can even be Billy G - they played in a much, much, much more challenging SEC than Rupp did.
How many other SEC schools have won the NC since Cal has been at UK?
ZERO! Same as while Rupp was coaching.

I guess Pitino and Tubby coached in the toughest SEC.

Comparing John Calipari's talent with John Wooden's is unreasonable.
Back during Wooden’s era everyone had Juniors and Seniors on their team.

Now almost every team has one and dones and transfers. It all evens out and in the end Cal is a terrible coach.

How many other SEC schools have won the NC since Cal has been at UK?
ZERO! Same as while Rupp was coaching.

I guess Pitino and Tubby coached in the toughest SEC.
Literally doesn't have anything to do with the argument, but I'm guessing I shouldn't actually expect you to understand that. The strength of a conference is dependent upon whether a team from that conference wins the national title. But, again, probably unfair of me to expect you to grasp such a logical thought.

Since you're so in need of history lessons: Here's some SEC schools that joined AFTER Rupp's career ended: Missouri, Texas A&M, Arkansas, and South Carolina. So if for nothing else, there were 4 less teams to compete against in the SEC back in his day.

Since you're so in love with Rupp, I'd be interested to know how many SEC teams made Final 4 runs during his career?

Literally doesn't have anything to do with the argument, but I'm guessing I shouldn't actually expect you to understand that. The strength of a conference is dependent upon whether a team from that conference wins the national title. But, again, probably unfair of me to expect you to grasp such a logical thought.

Since you're so in need of history lessons: Here's some SEC schools that joined AFTER Rupp's career ended: Missouri, Texas A&M, Arkansas, and South Carolina. So if for nothing else, there were 4 less teams to compete against in the SEC back in his day.

Since you're so in love with Rupp, I'd be interested to know how many SEC teams made Final 4 runs during his career?
Look it up and spin it to try defending CCC.
He had the worst season in 100 years, worst tournament loss. In KY basketball history, 3 straight losses in Rupp for the only time in history.

There’s no defending how far down he’s taken our program.

Look it up and spin it to try defending CCC.
He had the worst season in 100 years, worst tournament loss. In KY basketball history, 3 straight losses in Rupp for the only time in history.

There’s no defending how far down he’s taken our program.
No one's defending it. I'm just pointing out how dumb it is to try and compare a 40-year career to a 14-year career, in COMPLETELY different eras of basketball. If you can't see that, there ain't no helpin' ya

No one's defending it. I'm just pointing out how dumb it is to try and compare a 40-year career to a 14-year career, in COMPLETELY different eras of basketball. If you can't see that, there ain't no helpin' ya
Another poster started the comparison not me.
I agree that Cal and Rupp should never be mentioned in the same sentence.

Cal is closer to BCG than he is Rupp.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT