ADVERTISEMENT

“Reed Sheppard Has Won UK Fans’ Heart”

It really a special story to this point. Kentucky boy playing for the big blue, living his dream. And winning the big game the way he did at Miss St. The only thing that could top the story so far would be if he could lead the team to an SEC tournament title, to a Final Four, and maybe even win a title. If this team could do any of that, Sheppard would be one of the greatest UK basketball heroes of our lifetime.

He should start and just lead this team.
You positive people who think this is negative please ignore. Cal cannot lead this team.

Reactions: KFuqua
I was concerned it would be a Dontae Allen situation when he signed

more than good enough to wear the UK uniform but would never get developed due to Cal's preference of playing his promised starters

Fortunately his talent couldn't be ignored, even with Cal investment on certain players that share(d) unearned minutes with Sheppard

You can argue that Allen shouldn't be in that comparison, but at the same time, there were questions as to whether Allen should have been given more playing time on the team - and in part it was because he was a Kentucky fan favorite and in part because it seems Cal was intent on giving players who were not contributing the lion share of time on the court.

Honestly I'm still put off with Cal's "everyone favorite player" comment at the start of the season.

As long as Coach Kneeling is here, do we really trust anything he will do with any of our players?
You would have went along with it just like he did and Stoops did unless you wanted to resign and get out of coaching.
Coaches were stuck between a rock and a hard place(players/media) on the kneeling issue.
Can you name a coach that actually blocked his players from kneeling ?
It's just one of those things you have to go along with if it's the will of the players.
For example if Trump wins the White House, I can guarantee you that if UK wins the championship there will be no White House visit.

You would have went along with it just like he did and Stoops did unless you wanted to resign and get out of coaching.
Coaches were stuck between a rock and a hard place(players/media) on the kneeling issue.
It's just one of those things you have to go along with if it's the will of the players.
For example if Trump wins the White House, I can guarantee you that if UK wins the championship there will be no White House visit.
I understand the sentiment but I think Cal would really be in a rock and hard place given the state is going to vote Republican overwhelmingly. I think Cal learned an important lesson from kneeling, and will anticipate the reactions much better this time.

I would bet money they'd go

Reactions: Ky-troutbum
I was concerned it would be a Dontae Allen situation when he signed

more than good enough to wear the UK uniform but would never get developed due to Cal's preference of playing his promised starters

Fortunately his talent couldn't be ignored, even with Cal investment on certain players that share(d) unearned minutes with Sheppard

You can argue that Allen shouldn't be in that comparison, but at the same time, there were questions as to whether Allen should have been given more playing time on the team - and in part it was because he was a Kentucky fan favorite and in part because it seems Cal was intent on giving players who were not contributing the lion share of time on the court.

Honestly I'm still put off with Cal's "everyone favorite player" comment at the start of the season.
Eh Allen played 14 minutes a game his Freshman year at UK. He just wasn't good enough for this level. There's a reason he isn't s star at WKU and mostly comes off the bench there. Only similarity between Sheppard and Allen is that they are both from Kentucky.

Sheppard showed out in high school in the big all star type games and was a McDonald's All American. Allen never had that hype or expectations IMO.

Eh Allen played 14 minutes a game his Freshman year at UK. He just wasn't good enough for this level. There's a reason he isn't s star at WKU and mostly comes off the bench there. Only similarity between Sheppard and Allen is that they are both from Kentucky.

Sheppard showed out in high school in the big all star type games and was a McDonald's All American. Allen never had that hype or expectations IMO.
Allen wasn't surrounded with exceptional talent either. I'm not committed to the belief that Allen should have been given more playing time, but I am committed to the idea he should have been given the chance - and by chance I mean go 2 - 3 games with significant minutes and shoot poorly just like the kids ahead of him.

Allen shouldn't even be in the same breath or thread as reed shepherd. Good lord people
I figured the comparison would go over some people's head

let me be clear - no one is comparing talent of Allen to Sheppard

what I said was that when Sheppard came in I had similar concerns that a Kentucky kid would not be given a fair shot at playing time, similar to the belief that many had with Allen.

and I think the post was very spot on in stating that

Even now, there is a wealth of people outside of Kentucky wondering why Calipari will not start him

Last edited:
I understand the sentiment but I think Cal would really be in a rock and hard place given the state is going to vote Republican overwhelmingly. I think Cal learned an important lesson from kneeling, and will anticipate the reactions much better this time.

I would bet money they'd go
I'd take that bet all day long.
Kentucky will be a Trump landslide but Cal doesn't care.
Cal has always insulated himself and his team from the outside.
IMO, you're not going to take any team thats probably 75% African American to a Trump led White House in the year 2025.
Cal would take a team vote and it would be voted down and that would be it.
He would announce that the team has elected not to attend and there's really no one who would challenge him.
Mitch and Eli would be too scared of the media to challenge him.
We already know he doesn't give a rats ass if the fans are pissed off because he knows as soon as Oct 15 rolls around all those Trumpers will be camped out for BBM tickets.

Great article. Everyone needs to read it. It gives you a better understanding of the families’ mindset. They approach the entire situation differently than most people would. Their situation is uniquely their situation.

• Love
I'd take that bet all day long.
Kentucky will be a Trump landslide but Cal doesn't care.
Cal has always insulated himself and his team from the outside.
IMO, you're not going to take any team thats probably 75% African American to a Trump led White House in the year 2025.
Cal would take a team vote and it would be voted down and that would be it.
He would announce that the team has elected not to attend and there's really no one who would challenge him.
Mitch and Eli would be too scared of the media to challenge him.
We already know he doesn't give a rats ass if the fans are pissed off because he knows as soon as Oct 15 rolls around all those Trumpers will be camped out for BBM tickets.
3 days after

there’s now additional context that could help explain why Calipari may have stressed the age of his players, called them “kids,” and said it “probably [was] not a real good time to do it.”

Cal isn't as insulated as you think after that event

I would never go along with kneeling whatsoever.

Reactions: KFuqua and tug1543
I would never go along with kneeling whatsoever.
I respect that but you don't coach for a living.
It's the politics of coaching.
Stoops was the same as Cal.
Pro coaches/owners couldn't stop it.
The team kneeling in Gainesville got no national media coverage which is how Cal wanted it

Mom and dad did all the work. Cal just rolled the ball out.
Agree. Reed was already incredible before he came to Kentucky. I know because I saw him play several times. As I've said before, my cousin coached and wanted to see him play in person so I would travel to games with him. Reed was a joy to watch in high school. So mom and dad did most of the work (and Reed did, too!🤣🥰). I'm not saying Cal didn't, but I was afraid he wouldn't get a fair shake from Cal because he was a Kentucky boy and fan favorite. Im glad to see that didn't happen. Now whether or not he should/shouldn't start is another debate. I'm just sorry he probably won't be here next year, even though selfishly, I wish he would stay.

GO BIG BLUE!!!💙💙💙

He's won mine! Great kid, the anti-Rex Chapman! Happy for him, but sad he will be at UK for a year!
I think he comes back barring a coaching change or sandal or something. It’s naive of me I know. But I don’t think the shepherds are interested in one and done for Reed

Reactions: kywildcat41086
I've mentioned this before, but at one of those HS All-Star games they asked the players who was better than their reputation or something like that or who surprised them. The most often named player was Sheppard.

I still remember people arguing over if Cal would play him or not because he hates in state kids. 😄

I don’t know that he necessarily blocked them from kneeling but Buzz Williams while at Virginia Tech in 2016 taught his players why they WILL STAND and honor veterans while the national anthem is played. It’s on you tube and a pretty good 4:30 video. Much respect to Buzz!!!!!

He ain't perfect though. Sheppard loses the ball in the half court on occasion. Happened atleast 8 to 10 times this season if not more. 2 times in the last game. 2 times to win or tie a game that I can recall. His weakness is ball security in the halfcourt.

I don’t know that he necessarily blocked them from kneeling but Buzz Williams while at Virginia Tech in 2016 taught his players why they WILL STAND and honor veterans while the national anthem is played. It’s on you tube and a pretty good 4:30 video. Much respect to Buzz!!!!!
No doubt it's the right thing to do but we all know that Cal would be treated differently.
Buzz doesn't get the attention of the national media.
If Cal had a video like that out then the Stephen A's of the sports media would all give their take on it and we know they take the side of BLM.
Buzz has always had different kids in his programs also.
I don't think he would be successful with the kids that come to UK.
The giving players books to read and stuff like that might work for kids who are grateful to be playing P5 basketball but UK's kids could go anywhere and I don't think they would buy in to Buzz.

No doubt it's the right thing to do but we all know that Cal would be treated differently.
Buzz doesn't get the attention of the national media.
If Cal had a video like that out then the Stephen A's of the sports media would all give their take on it and we know they take the side of BLM.
Buzz has always had different kids in his programs also.
I don't think he would be successful with the kids that come to UK.
The giving players books to read and stuff like that might work for kids who are grateful to be playing P5 basketball but UK's kids could go anywhere and I don't think they would buy in to Buzz.
You asked if anyone could name a coach so I did. It wasn’t how cal would be treated if he did. Cal’s a big lefty anyway zero chance he would ever do anything like that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT