ADVERTISEMENT

Kathryn Hulick -- "Should we use AI to resurrect digital ‘ghosts’ of the dead?"

That’s just weird. I mean I miss my grandpa and his stories (especially WW2) but AI can’t replicate that. It won’t care if I tell it about my day, or a museum I visited that I wished I could talk to him about

I think it's a beautiful thing. I've never fully gotten over my mother's death a very long time ago. But I see companies exploiting this and shoving advertisements at the recipients.

This probably isn't the same thing, but for a long time I've wondered if there is a way to "relive" our childhood, or scenarios of our childhood. Maybe some point in time when we wer young adults and life was good.

Reactions: J_Dee
Being unable to accept the realities of life seems to be a hallmark of modern society, so this seems to fit right in.
This. Leave well enough alone. Stop trying to play God with AI, that will be the downfall of humanity. How far will they go with it.

I think it's a beautiful thing. I've never fully gotten over my mother's death a very long time ago. But I see companies exploiting this and shoving advertisements at the recipients.

This probably isn't the same thing, but for a long time I've wondered if there is a way to "relive" our childhood, or scenarios of our childhood. Maybe some point in time when we wer young adults and life was good.

😆 remember little Johnny, grandma uses only valvoline motor oil for the best performance and resistance to viscosity and thermal breakdown. I love you!

This is not as far fetched as some may think. I saw a demo of a AI created human figure powered by the newest Chat GPT 4.0 carry on a conversation with a human and there was really nothing "non human" or artificial about the created entity. It had conversation skills, manners, a sense a humor, everything a human has (or at east most humans).

Reactions: J_Dee
That’s just weird. I mean I miss my grandpa and his stories (especially WW2) but AI can’t replicate that. It won’t care if I tell it about my day, or a museum I visited that I wished I could talk to him about

I imagine it's more for folks who are currently alive who want to leave behind a simulacrum. You could write your whole life's story, and leave videos and pictures behind, for reference, and presto -- AI could properly imitate your voice, image, mannerisms, everything.

And who's to say it won't care once it's complex enough? All we are are highly complex biological machines, after all.

Reactions: JumperJack
Isn't that pretty much the same thing as "playing with dolls?"

Well now I want my consciousness uploaded into one of these:

Chucky_Appearance_%28TV_Series%29.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: HymanKaplan
I feel like this type of nonsense and deepfakes are what is going to get AI heavily regulated in the near future.

There is an innocent version of a "griefbot" where, for instance, a grandchild could be "introduced" to what grandmom was like if the kid never met her, etc. There's also a version of this that would be almost unimaginably destructive to the user where the user is so lost in grief that whoever controls this damn fancypants chatbot can essentially influence the user into almost anything.

I find the whole topic of AI unbelievably sad and morally vacant. Why are we doing it again? What is the upside? So some asshole in a cubical somewhere (or now some algorithm in some silicone wafer somewhere) can make a fake version of granny?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT