ADVERTISEMENT

Fayette County Schools - Henry Clay death

Jun 2, 2005

Email from Superintendent yesterday:
Dear Fayette County Public Schools Families:

On Friday, May 10, I received heartbreaking news of the passing of Henry Clay High School (HCHS) senior Emmanuel Mwakadi. As shared previously, Emmanuel was transported to a local hospital after a medical emergency during his second-period class.

The loss of such a vibrant young life is unimaginable, especially as graduation approaches. This tragedy deeply affects Emmanuel’s family, teachers, friends, and our entire FCPS and Lexington community. During the past few days, our priority and focus has been on supporting Emmanuel’s family as well as the students and staff at HCHS. However, I realize that all of our FCPS families are shaken by this loss and seeking answers.

I acknowledge that we could have communicated more effectively with families and the Henry Clay community immediately after this event. The decision to delay external communication was made out of respect for the family and everyone impacted by this sudden loss. However, I now understand that this may have contributed to speculation and rumors. I apologize for any confusion this delay may have caused.

Dealing with the death of a student is one of the hardest parts of my role as superintendent, and is the case for any educator. Also, as a parent, my heart breaks for Emmanuel’s mother, and I cannot imagine the grief she is feeling. I continue to keep her and Emmanuel’s family and friends in my prayers.

Initially, I hoped to avoid responding to any speculation or rumors surrounding Emmanuel’s passing. However, out of respect for all FCPS families, I feel compelled to address false reports circulating in the public and news media.

As part of our standard health and safety protocols, we launched an investigation that thoroughly tracked Emmanuel’s movements throughout the building on the morning of Friday, May 10. It is important to clarify that Emmanuel never entered a restroom on May 10, nor was he involved in a fight, or the act of breaking up a fight. Nonetheless, these facts do not lessen the impact of his loss, and we want to move forward by honoring and remembering Emmanuel.

Emmanuel was looking ahead to graduation and preparing for a new chapter in his life. He had plans to attend college and study criminal justice, with aspirations of becoming a police officer. FCPS Police officers at HCHS recalled his frequent and friendly visits to their office. He was never short on questions and was eager to learn about law enforcement and make personal connections with the officers on his campus. Officer David Hart formed a special bond with Emmanuel and told me that he was always smiling and was quick to ask him about his own family or share his excitement for the weekend ahead. His positivity was contagious, and all the officers considered Emmanuel a friend.

Known to many as “Manny,” he had a warm and friendly demeanor that endeared him to everyone he met. Many students, teachers, friends, and staff from Henry Clay have shared similar tributes. He served as the manager of the Boys Soccer team, leaving a lasting impression on his teammates and coaches. He was a friend to many and was often seen talking with a friend in the hallway or smiling and offering encouragement to a classmate. Students are organizing ways to honor Emmanuel’s memory within their school community and during the upcoming graduation ceremonies.

Educators often go above and beyond their duties in the classroom to provide care and support for students, and Emmanuel’s passing has deeply affected many in the HCHS community. I want to recognize the Henry Clay staff for their compassion and support during this difficult time. I am so proud of the way their team came together on May 10 and how they continue to support each other and our students.

Our heartfelt condolences go out to everyone who loved Emmanuel. Thank you to the entire FCPS and Lexington community for the support displayed over the past few days. Your kindness and compassion are a testament to the strength of our community, and we hope Emmanuel’s family finds solace in your support during this difficult time.

The school leadership approaches incompetent. Secondly, i hope the kid who hit him, if it is the cause, suffers some appropriate consequence decided by a rational adjudicator. Third, how much poor handling has to be demonstrated before there are consequences other than admonishing the public for "not paying enough," as if dollars would make a bit of difference at this point.

how long from the fight in the video to him dying?

Fight in school should be automatic alternative school.

The school leadership approaches incompetent. Secondly, i hope the kid who hit him, if it is the cause, suffers some appropriate consequence decided by a rational adjudicator. Third, how much poor handling has to be demonstrated before there are consequences other than admonishing the public for "not paying enough," as if dollars would make a bit of difference at this point.
Unfortunately the school board oversees the superintendent and they are all like minded with him when it comes to their desires. So unless school board members are voted out (which some have tried past few years), then nothing will be questioned. The teachers union has a strong presence and the Fayette county board chair is on the board for NEA.

Lowerlevel,

What are your thoughts on the article you posted?
I think more information needs to be gathered as it appears Liggins letter only speaks to May 10. If there is video in days leading up to may 10, then I suppose previous articles has incorrectly stated date of incident as may 10. But notice liggins doesn”t address if student was in fight days before. I think he is trying to be evasive and put out fire by basically saying date was off by a few days without saying it. Would like to hear if Liggins addresses if student was injured at the school in days leading up to May 10 as article suggest. But, this incident is only one of many (not necessarily related to fights) that are symbolic of issues within the school system leadership. I understand the issue in article is in early stages and more info needs to be gathered.

Reactions: 80 Proof
Awful situation all around. Sounds like a good kid. I wonder if he went to the doctor after the fight. Despite the confusion/semantics with when/how, I don't think anyone is at fault except for the kids who were fighting and the one that hit him. I doubt anything comes of this.

When I taught high school I got in between one fight to break it up. Never did again. Those kids (they were 17 y.o. big ol' country boys and I was 23 and ... me). They could have easily messed me up.

Awful situation all around. Sounds like a good kid. I wonder if he went to the doctor after the fight. Despite the confusion/semantics with when/how, I don't think anyone is at fault except for the kids who were fighting and the one that hit him. I doubt anything comes of this.

When I taught high school I got in between one fight to break it up. Never did again. Those kids (they were 17 y.o. big ol' country boys and I was 23 and ... me). They could have easily messed me up.

I have a female friend who taught high school for 20 years. She stepped in to break up a fight between two very large girls and ended up with a broken nose and torn rotator cuff that required surgery. She took your approach after that.

After the KY teacher died from getting knocked to the floor and hitting his head while trying to break up a fight most won't even attempt it anymore. They just let them go at it until they are done like hockey refs do. Not only that there has been instances of students saying teachers touched them inappropriately while breaking up the fight and some saying the teachers injured them.

I have an issue with the lawyers saying it happened after a fight on May 10.

Then they were wrong.

Now they produce a video but no one has said when it happened except for a vague “weeks”? The video has a date. They know when it happened. Be precise.

Tying them together seems a little disingenuous. There was a rush to judge about a trans kid that was beaten up and died somewhere else in the country. Turns out it wasn’t really related to their death.

I remember when Henry Clay announced their new principal last year, a lot of people had concerns about his previous record regarding student safety. He was forced out of that job before FCPS hired him.
I forgot about that. Similar to Dunbar principal. Long before he got suspended with pay for a year and eventually ousted, there were concerns with the hire. And then, when you look at our superintendent’s questionable past of investigations of his alleged shenanigans at his previous jobs, guess we shouldn’t be surprised. Fayette County residents make bad choice in board members—>board members make bad choice in superintendent—-> superintendent makes bad choices in hires/policies/spending/etc.—> board members say great job! Here’s a raise and more benefits. And the kids are left to deal with the dumpster fire and suffer consequences.

Gives new meaning to: Henry Clay - The Great Compromiser

HC was a spineless dandy, unlike his cousin, Cassius; who is my favorite person in Kentucky history.

Paper this morning says the fight happened long before May 10th incident. Maybe a week or 2 actually. Hope everyone will just wait and see what the actual facts are.

It is so counter productive when schools try to rationalize their problems rather than be forthright
in sharing the problems they face. Schools so reflect the health of our communities, but rather than
honestly admit to the societal problems they face to tell everyone what a good job they are doing,
and how all is working well they then loose trust. Our culture faces problems therein so do our schools. Honest discussion of the problems and efforts would provide greater support and respect for the difficulties they face. Trust is so important for our schools in order to successfully build the support to gain more trust and involvement. When some schools keep telling us they have everything under control and all is well,
and children tell parents that is not the way it is....trust and support and assistance go out the door.
And problems grow. Honesty would provide meaningful assistance and develop necessary trust.

Gives new meaning to: Henry Clay - The Great Compromiser

HC was a spineless dandy, unlike his cousin, Cassius; who is my favorite person in Kentucky history.

My favorite person in Kentucky history is either you or Melvin Turpin

So - two more big dandies for consideration!!!

Anywho -

for locals - has there been any noticeable change with H Clay or Tates Creek after H Douglas was added to the equation?

Didn't they take potential students fm both schools?

Trivia, i know - but I grew up kind of fascinated with the schools up here and loved learning about who was who

Then beating their dandy little socks off ;) ;)

I'm convinced local governments are perfectly fine with as many kids as possible to go private.

Probably, because the money never stops. Funding is down? Just raise taxes. The teacher's unions flexed their political muscle during covid and it's clear who runs the show.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT