ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Good morning folks. Muggy and gray in the east.

Went for a long run this morning, and did some reading, and now am just taking it easy until lunch.

Meeting with my daughter at an Italian restaurant near where she is now living in the city - DC - so that will be fun.

Her boyfriend will be along. He works with CBS news - a camera crew guy, not on air -- and is recently back from a tour of Singapore and Cambodia with our empty suit of a secretary of defense Lloyd Austin. I'll be interested in hearing how my daughter's BF found Singapore and Cambodia. I visited both almost 30 years ago and I am planning a long trip back to that part of the world next year as soon as I retire.

Hope everyone has a good day.

Charlie-Brown-7-gif.gif

81° this morning with a high near 90°. Possibility of rain later today so, coed softball may be cancelled. If not, I have 2 games at 1:00 and 3:00.

Already walked the monster and worked out. Now just resting until game time.

Cats looked pretty good last night but Oregon St. made a lot of mistakes which made it an easier win. Still think we would have won regardless since Pooser was on his game.

You folks enjoy yourselves today and God Bless.

76°F and cloudy. 76° is supposed to be the high. We got a quarte inch of rain at 7:00 am. I would like to see a lot more rain today so I green yard will get greener!

Enjoy your Sunday guys.
Bert, we've had 2.5" of since the first storm moved through this morning, still pouring, it looks like a river in our area right now!

Good morning folks.

Remembering D-Day and those who gave “their last full measure of devotion” to quote a President about another, earlier battle of great consequence.

A while back I visited Bedford, Virginia, a tiny mountain town. By a sad quirk of fate almost all the men from that town had been in a national guard unit that had been absorbed into the 29th Division -and they ended up in the worst spot on Omaha Beach. Twenty men killed in a matter of minutes from one tiny town of a couple thousand people.

As a military history buff, I’m reading a new British analysis of Operation Bagration, the massive Soviet assault timed to begin around the same time as D-Day that engaged the Germans from the Baltic Sea to the Black Sea. As terrible as the fighting was from D-Day to the Battle of the Bulge six months later, the truth is 80 percent of the Germans killed in 1944 were killed in the east by the Soviet Army. It was a bad time to be a young German.

Pulling into my subway station. You guys have a good day.
This reminded me, I was metal detecting one day at a friends house, I knew that her late husband was in the military in WWII, he passed away when I was about 15, but I got a hit with my detector, when I dug it up it was a triangular piece of metal, when I cleaned it up, I could see a small specks of red, yellow and blue I think, I ask Mary if she wanted it, she just said no, but she said Henry had been one of the first units to land in Europe. When I got home I cleaned it up some more and I could make out a lightening bolt and a tank on it and I think strike force also, I called her back and told her, but she still didn't want it. I have lost this piece of Military history. Out of everything I have ever found, I wish I still had this piece!!! If any of the D could find a picture, I would like to see it.

This reminded me, I was metal detecting one day at a friends house, I knew that her late husband was in the military in WWII, he passed away when I was about 15, but I got a hit with my detector, when I dug it up it was a triangular piece of metal, when I cleaned it up, I could see a small specks of red, yellow and blue I think, I ask Mary if she wanted it, she just said no, but she said Henry had been one of the first units to land in Europe. When I got home I cleaned it up some more and I could make out a lightening bolt and a tank on it and I think strike force also, I called her back and told her, but she still didn't want it. I have lost this piece of Military history. Out of everything I have ever found, I wish I still had this piece!!! If any of the D could find a picture, I would like to see it.
Cord,

The first American armored unit to land at Normandy, about three days after D-Day, was the 2nd Armored Division. Their unit patch - triangular, red, blue, yellow and with lightning bolts -- sounds very much like what you describe. Maybe the guy had a unit pin that you found.

By the way, US armored divisions in WW2 all had the same patch with a different numeral in the yellow top third, then a different motto along the bottom. The 1st AD, Old Ironsides, is still on active duty. I was briefly embedded with them in Baghdad in the fall of 2003...

Last edited:
Cord,

The first American armored unit to land at Normandy, about three days after D-Day, was the 2nd Armored Division. Their unit patch - triangular, red, blue, yellow and with lightning bolts -- sounds very much like what you describe. Maybe the guy had a unit pin that you found.

By the way, US armored divisions in WW2 all had the same patch with a different numeral in the yellow top third, then a different motto along the bottom. The 1st AD, Old Ironsides, is still on active duty. I was briefly embedded with them in Baghdad in the fall of 2003...
I'm almost sure it was strike force. It was a type of pin, the pin part had corroded off

Saluting-Legionnaire.jpg

Morning Legionnaires!

70° this morning with low 80's for a high expected. Slight chance of thunderstorms this morning with chances increasing later on in the day.

Played 4 coed games yesterday instead of 2. 1:00, 3:00, 4:00, and 5:00pm. The 2 later games were with another team that was short of their pitcher so, they ask me if I would fill in so they did not have to forfeit. The league allows for that, but you must pay $10.00 a game to do so. Both teams have players from my Tuesday night men's league team and went 1-1 last night and all games were close. 3 games had a 1 run difference for score and 1 had a 2-run difference when finished. I had a pretty good night at the plate as I went 9-12 and a walk.

Got back home around 7:30 just in time to clean up and turn on the Cat's game. Unfortunately however, I did not get past the 5th inning as I was spent. Had to check in this morning to see that we had won. Great for the Cat's.

Well, up and at em and be careful out there.

God Bless

Last edited:
Good morning from ATX. Presently 79°F and clear. Excessive heat warning in effect. Today's high expected around 92°F.

Last night, Cats def Beavers, 3-2, and won Lexington Super Regional. Omaha-bound. I stayed up. Game ended around 11:47 pm CST. So happy and proud for the team.

Monday, Monday....

Wishing y'all an awesome start to your week.

national-iced-tea-day--june-10.png

Last edited:
Good morning folks.

Couldn't stay up for the baseball game -- too big of a load at work today -- but very happy to see the Cats advance.

So, Kentucky plays the winner of a Georgia/NC State elimination game slated for tonight.

Of the nine teams still in the World Series, five are SEC teams and four are ACC teams. That's crazy. I guess with the Pac-12 falling apart, baseball for now is pretty much a South/Southeastern US sport.

I hope the Cats can keep advancing.

Back to work for me. Have a good day everyone.

Good for the baseball Cats.

Instrument rules apply in my area this morning if you are flying. Visibility at the moment is about a quarter mile.

Foggy and 63.9°F. We ended up with .74" of rain yesterday. @cordmaker pays his rain Gods more than me.

New week starting, so you all that are working get the hell up and at it. o_O
Bert, my son lives about 7-8 miles away and they just got about half an inch

Good morning all,

Enjoying my time at home working today.. these next three days Ugh.. Just UGH... Must dress up, represent, and relegate, or is that inarculate?

ad84e5dcc79936f43528b2d921e56198.gif

Good for the baseball Cats.

Instrument rules apply in my area this morning if you are flying. Visibility at the moment is about a quarter mile.

Foggy and 63.9°F. We ended up with .74" of rain yesterday. @cordmaker pays his rain Gods more than me.

New week starting, so you all that are working get the hell up and at it. o_O

IFR Sir, IFR...

Last edited:
Good morning all,
Yep, I used to fly. I hated Instrument landings.

Whoa Sir, you are well versed. Would be an honor meeting you.

I flew a lot. Growing up My brother started working from the bottom up. Cleaned and fueled airplanes at Metro Airport in Michigan. When I was 15 or 16 I used to go help my brother clean planes and he'd take me flying as payment. he was getting his hours. I never felt comfortable flying a plane. I tried several times. I enjoy flying (If I can stay away from the airport security processes now...) but due to that I'd rather not fly. Several jobs I had caused me to fly a lot. I am thankful...

My brother retired after 33 years with MASCO Corp. Flying the execs around the world...

I love his stories. Some he flew... Hank Jr., John Denver (I still have John Denver's autographed picture. I have seen others like it though and I think it was a pre-signed job.) (I like a lot of John Denver's music but then he went weird with his fame. Much like Hank Jr. (His music is legendary in my book but then he went goofy. At least he was in some of the sessions I saw and one or two I had the privilege to sit in on.., President Reagan (I think when he was first campaigning.), Bobo Brazil, and others I am forgetting...

I think I posted a picture of Aretha my brother took with my SIL photobombing her...

Aretha didn't like doing those but she liked my brother as she knew he flew her around I think a couple times... So she agreed. (That's my SIL directly staring behind Aretha. I talked to my brother and sister yesterday.) That was some kind of big time event they were at but I have no knowledge of what or where.

304500791_5970060306340833_2798561300403528335_n.jpg

Last edited:
Any of you guys ever heard of the Hwy 68 yard sale? It is like 400 miles long and it is a pretty big deal. People plan vacations around it and haul trailers for what they buy. A buddy of mine said he was driving on 68 over the weekend and there was a paper bag in the road. He said the car in front of him hit it, he hit it and the car behind him hit. It was full of cash and money was flying everywhere on both sides of the road. He said he didn't stop because traffic was heavy and he didnt want to get hit. He estimates a minimum of 5 grand was blowing in the wind.

Last edited:
Any of you guys ever heard of the Hwy 68 yard sale? It is like 400 miles long and it is a pretty big deal. People plan vacations around it and haul trailers for what they buy. A buddy of mine said he was driving on 68 over the weekend and there was a paper bag in the road. He said the car in front of him hit it, he hit it and the car behind him hit. It was full of cash and money was flying everywhere on both sides of the road. He said he didn't stop because traffic was heavy and he didnt want to get hit. He estimates a minimum of 5 grand was blowing in the wind.

I'd a stopped Sir!.. I keep a small vacuum in my car...AND a fishing net. ;)

Good morning folks. Partly cloudy and cool in the east. Our humane weather is holding. By partly cloudy I mean that I’m sitting in a subway car right now heading south and out the window to my right (east) it is all clouds but out my left hand window (west) is clear blue skies. I guess I’ll face left.

Cats draw NC State in first round of the Series. Go Cats.

Hope everyone has a good day.

I live two miles away from Highway 68 and it is a big deal around here. I am not much into yard sales but many are.

Good morning all,

Whoa Sir, you are well versed. Would be an honor meeting you.

I flew a lot. Growing up My brother started working from the bottom up. Cleaned and fueled airplanes at Metro Airport in Michigan. When I was 15 or 16 I used to go help my brother clean planes and he'd take me flying as payment. he was getting his hours. I never felt comfortable flying a plane. I tried several times. I enjoy flying (If I can stay away from the airport security processes now...) but due to that I'd rather not fly. Several jobs I had caused me to fly a lot. I am thankful...

. . . . . .
I finished up my ground school my senior year in high school. I could not afford to take lessons for a while. I was all set up to go to the Air Force Academy but at that time you had to have 20 20 vision uncorrected. I failed the eye test and missed my dream. After I started working for the L&N in Louisville I got a part time job at Cardinal Aviation. I used that money and the discount that they gave me to fly. I stopped flying when Sherry got pregnant with the second child. I never got my license. At the time you needed 40 hours and I stopped at 38, but I flew with a friend who has his commercial license and did it for a living. Me flying gave him time to be lazy while he was working and gave me time for having fun in a big plane.

Three of my high school mates ended up with their licenses. Andy Foster made a living of it and became a jet jockey for Dow Chemical and then a large importer in Anchorage, Alaska. My best friend was Darryl Buckingham who owned an oil company, so he owned a plane to help him get around the country on his own schedule.

Flying was fun. At that age I did not know probably how damned dangerous I was!

Big-Fishing-Trip.gif

Not this time. Went fishing this morning with the Kayak and while doing ok was still bested by the LMB. I had several strikes, 5 hooked and 2 landed so:

Large Mouth Bass 3-Warrior-Cat 2. Two of the ones that got away felt really big. One of them got stuck in some stickups and I tried to give it some slack to get out and it did, only without the hook in its mouth. I have been bested by the Bass last 3 or 4 times, but one of the ones I caught was big enough to wash away the disappointment. 6.2lbs pictured below.

20240611-111748.avif

Last edited:
Big-Fishing-Trip.gif

Not this time. Went fishing this morning with the Kayak and while doing ok was still bested by the LMB. I had several strikes, 5 hooked and 2 landed so:

Large Mouth Bass 3-Warrior-Cat 2. Two of the ones that got away felt really big. One of them got stuck in some stickups and I tried to give it some slack to get out and it did, only without the hook in its mouth. I have been bested by the Bass last 3 or 4 times, but one of the ones I caught was big enough to wash away the disappointment. 6.2lbs pictured below.

20240611-111748.avif

That's Bassackwards in overdrive. WHOA what a bigun... Congrats...

Good morning D-League.

Grinding through a tough work week, but after this week things should settle down.

I did get a nice invitation yesterday —I’m going to a ceremony to honor a guy who received the Medal of Honor for actions with the USMC in Fallujah. A former officer now running the National Medal of Honor Association invited me. I knew him when he was an Army PAO and I was a correspondent back in the day. As it happens, I spent some time in Fallujah, but not during the vicious battle there, thank goodness. I got to be friendly with a female USMC captain, Megan McClung who was killed in an IED attack there. Terrible place.

As for today, it promises to be a busy one. I’ll check in later. Have a good one.

Good morning everyone.

Did my longest hike yesterday putting in a little over 17 miles and over 44,000 steps. This section of the Pine Mtn Scenic Trail had an elevation gain of over 4,000 with all the ups and downs during the hike. I'll be thinking of my goals for next summer. For now, get back to working around the house and back to some strength training along with the walking.

I hope to watch some of the baseball games coming up. I've never really watched college baseball but it seems to be a good time to get started.

I hope everyone has a great day.

Good morning everyone.

Did my longest hike yesterday putting in a little over 17 miles and over 44,000 steps. This section of the Pine Mtn Scenic Trail had an elevation gain of over 4,000 with all the ups and downs during the hike. I'll be thinking of my goals for next summer. For now, get back to working around the house and back to some strength training along with the walking.

I hope to watch some of the baseball games coming up. I've never really watched college baseball but it seems to be a good time to get started.

with my bad joints it would take me 34 days to go 17 miles! o_O

Cricket World Cup India GIF by RightNow

Morning Legionnaires!

78° right now with a high of 88° expected for the day.

We had 2 men's league games last night, but I only played in one since we had plenty enough players there. I went 1-1 with 2 walks at the plate. They were double header makeup games and the team we were playing was tied with us for 1st place in the league. We split the games last night (so still tied), but they get the nod as league champions based on the fact that they have scored more runs over the season than us. Que sera sera.

giphy.gif

It's Hump Day! Do what you gotta do to get through the day and God Bless.

Good morning from ATX. Currently 76°F and mostly cloudy. Got a little rain yesterday afternoon. Today's high expected around 89°F.

Finished with colonoscopy. Ate a large breakfast afterwards. Taking rest of today off.

Happy Hump Day, y'all.
Good morning everyone.

Awesome. Happy to hear.

Hope to hit up Little Shepherd Trail along Pine Mountain next summer. Got too many other expeditions happening later this year.

national-jerky-day--june-12.png

Good morning from ATX. Currently 76°F and mostly cloudy. Got a little rain yesterday afternoon. Today's high expected around 89°F.

Finished with colonoscopy. Ate a large breakfast afterwards. Taking rest of today off.
Exactly what Bert and Sherry do afterwards, go to Cracker Barrell and pork out on breakfast. Double up on the biscuits, grits and gravy.

Good afternoon all,

Started early and just now sitting in my car in a parking garage. No rush now, going to a meet and greet with my team at 6:30. Not going home first so just sitting for an hour or so. No complaints here. I am thankful. I got through the hard part well.

Tomorrow is just a listening engagement. Been in front of about 50 people, leading most of today. Been a good while since I did that.... No biggie now but I always feel my nerves after the fact...

Good morning everyone

@AustinTXCat If you get up this way (Letcher Co) let me know. Heck, not sure but I think there is a section in the Bell Co. area that I haven't been on....let me know if that's what you do and I may come down. I've hiked the entire Letcher Co. portion in 2 hikes (15 mi and 17 mil) in the last couple of weeks. I plan to hike the entire Pike Co section next year in 2 long day hikes.

I felt a little beat up yesterday but better today. Going to the Doc for a checkup this morning and then get back to normal "stuff"

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT