ADVERTISEMENT

Making the NBA more interesting

i hate how the NBA has an 82 game season, personally I only watch the playoffs. I really wish they would cut the games down to 40 to 50 games in the season. I also would love to see a one game series in the playoffs, win or go home. I think it would make the regular season and playoffs a lot more competitive. These are just my thoughts, would love to hear everyone else’s.
Reactions: Zissou87

For someone who saw/covered practices....Silver?

Make me excited about former 5 star(on ESPN) DL Keeshawn Silver. 6'5" 320 7'1" wingspan. Violent hands. Has some decent twitch/juice off the ball or he wouldn't have been ranked as high as he was. Again a big time recruit that everyone wanted. He ran with the ones at least some of the time and was mentioned a few times as a guy who did good things. Looking at all of this, he should be pretty physically dominant, but he did nothing at UNC.

He could be a HUGE X factor for this defense...if he can get into the C/G with those long arms, and stay low with some explosion he should really pose a problem for those trying to block him. It would be awesome if things clicked and he was able to replicate what Rogers gave us.

FB Recruiting Note on portal

We've been saying Kentucky will be going into the portal for a right tackle and a while ago mentioned there is someone in mind.

Now hearing that in addition to inside linebacker depth, Kentucky could also target safety depth from the portal as well.

That does not mean any of Kentucky's safeties slated to be in the rotation are leaving. I expect Lovett, Geiger, and Childress to be those three guys between two spots and frequently they will all be on the field together.

But right now Kentucky only has four scholarship safeties on campus with the other being Ty Bryant so with as many defensive backs as you put on the field you have to make sure there is depth in the case of injuries. But man, they really have a luxury with those three they have right now.

My impression is also that Alex Afari will be in the medium package and Geiger will see a lot of time at nickel. The difference there is, for example, when it's 3rd and 3 or 3rd and 4 you will see a lot of Afari as they look for bigger personnel but when it's a coverage situation that would be Geiger.

My early prediction is that Dru Phillip and JQ Hardaway will be the starting cornerbacks but somebody like Hairston could rotate as a 3 guys for 2 spots as with the other safety positions.

FB Recruiting THE WAR ROOM! ... the state of 2024 recruiting

Note: If you don't see a kid you've heard about, don't fret, this isn't meant to be exhaustive, just an update on some situations that are of interest....

QB

** There are better quarterback options in the Class of 2025 than in the Class of 2024, hence the chatter about the possibility of a primary '25 target reclassifying. Cutter Boley was originally in the 2024 class but I am not 100% sure which way that is going to go. I've got a pick in for Kentucky and I feel good about where my head is on that. My prediction is a reclass back to '24 and that he picks Kentucky, but have heard from a couple of other folks who believe he might not reclass. He should make his college decision this summer and will announce what class he will be in then. So my prediction is '24 and UK.

** Notice that Liam Coen hasn't sent out a bunch of 2024 quarterback offers. Last time he was around he was big game hunting, going after Malachi Nelson and trying to make a play for Arch Manning. He is going to make the top guy(s) say no before he moves on to tier two guys, that much is clear. I think the fact that there hasn't been more 2024 QB activity is a sign that a 2025 reclass is a very strong possibility and likely.

** If Boley were to not reclass then I think that possibility would still be pretty strong for Stone Saunders. While the family hasn't told me this I have to wonder if the relationship with Coen might be strong enough that Kentucky could bring in Boley for the '24 class and then Saunders for the '25 class. I am certainly not writing that possibility off. Get the sense that Saunders and camp really like the idea of Kentucky and he told us that they're very high on his list recently. Saunders said it's all about the people, and Coen is one of the best so far as he's concerned. So it is clear that Saunders likes the idea of being coached by Coen.

** It's possible that both players could reclassify but don't think they would both be going to UK in that case. However the sense I have gotten is that neither guy is looking to reclassify for just any school. It really is about finding the right situation and Kentucky's got a good one.

** Seems pretty clear from my perspective that Kentucky will probably look to the transfer portal at quarterback after this season once again. That would be one last "bridge year" before, they would have to hope, a freshman-recruited quarterback would have a redshirt year or a first year under his belt and ready to take over.

RB

** Kentucky has been very deliberate and slower in recruiting running backs over recent years and that probably speaks to the fact that guys like Benny Snell and Chris Rodriguez who have been all-time program greats have been those evaluation guys. With Jamarion Wilcox coming in the summer one would imagine the Cats are looking for a back who has more size and a physical running style.

** The Cats have obviously liked and prioritized Samuel Dixon-Williams but Ohio State continues to loom there so we wait and see if he might pick a different path.

** Having said that, it does seem that Boulware and company do like Micah Welch. He's shorter but not skinny. Put together guy who is familiar with Kentucky and has a relationship with the staff.

WR

** On the heels of another solid WR recruiting class it seems like slot would be less important than the outside receiver positions since Anthony Brown seems like he's going to be a really good multi-year player for them to plan for and build around.

** Shaun Boykins is right in their backyard and seems like somebody they are going to be in good shape with. Where exactly he falls on the board is going to be interesting to see. Indiana has given Boykins some pretty sustained interest and Louisville is in the mix as well.

** There's a chance Kentucky just looks beyond the state given the brand its got with Barion and Dane right now.

** Cameron Monteiro from New England has some definite mutual interest with Kentucky. He is fresh off a visit to Lexington and if they were to ask him to return for an official visit then I think that's something he would take them up on.

** Cincinnati has some talented receivers in guys like Jay'Quan Bostic and Dorian Williams.

** UK has recruited Channing Goodwin from the Charlotte area in NC but he's a Michigan legacy and folks that way seem to think that bodes well for their chances.

** Phenix City (Ala.) Central WR Cameron Coleman is someone who was at the junior day earlier this year and there seems like there has been some pretty strong mutual interest there.

TE

** Kentucky currently has seven tight ends on scholarship and that's a lot but guys like Izayah Cummings and Jakob Dixon are different kinds of players. The coaches apparently told Gavin Grover recently they're looking for a "true Y" in this class. Grover is definitely one of the top targets and he is down to a top three of Kentucky, West Virginia and Cincinnati, but between UK and UC not sure of where he would be leaning. He has been to UC more than any other school and feels a connection with the city of Cincinnati but Kentucky has made a huge impression on him as well. At 6'6 and 230 he's the kind of guy who could be a nice receiving threat.

** While it's not clear who Option 1A is at tight end - I get the sense there are a few, maybe four guys, who they like the most - one who is definitely toward the top of the wish list is Dylan Mesman. The 6'5, 223-pound tight end from Saline, Michigan is a four-star prospect and there's apparently been strong mutual interest with Kentucky. He has other offers from Miami, Auburn, Cincinnati, Kansas, Louisville, Maryland, Michigan State, Minnesota, Pittsburgh, Purdue, and Rutgers. He's supposed to be visiting soon before they wrap up for good this spring.

** Damarion Witten from Cleveland Glenville is right up there toward the top of the board as well.

** Ole Miss, South Carolina, and a whole bunch of others have now offered Covington Catholic TE Willie Rodriguez. After his last visit to Kentucky, I got the sense that there might be some good news coming for him, but we're still waiting. At this point, I'm not sure where Kentucky would stand if they were to offer, but it has been their choice and they have just had other guys higher on the board to this point. He's a good athlete who is not quite as tall as some of the other TEs they have been recruiting. As I've said, if Kentucky doesn't offer Rodriguez then I think he's probably the most talented in-state recruit in the Stoops era they would have passed on.

OL

** Kentucky's two lone 2024 commitments are from OG Hayes Johnson and OT/OG Aba Selm. The Wildcats obviously still have some work ahead here especially in terms of finding SEC tackle prospects. Ohio State offering the Deontae and Devontae Armstrong from St. Edward was unfortunate in terms of UK in this class. That could have been a fantastic pair but not sure where they would have gone if not OSU. The other set of twins in Ohio on Kentucky's radar is Mercer (OT) and Charlton (OG) Luniewski. Kentucky was the first program to verbally offer both players but this might be a wait and see situation.

** Ohio OG Fred Johnson told me recently that Kentucky and Penn State are the two schools standing out. He just spent a couple of days at Kentucky and it went a long way.

** OT Jac'Qawn McRoy visited Kentucky for the sixth time recently and his favorites are Kentucky, Oregon, LSU, Tennessee, Auburn, Arkansas, Miami, Florida, Georgia, and Ole Miss.

** Avon, Indiana OT Zach Bandy has a verbal offer and has visited multiple times.

** Deryc Plazz, an OT from Florida, recently indicated that he's building a relationship with Kentucky after its recent offer but there is some ground to make up. NC State, Miami, and Duke seem like they're going to get official visits this summer.

continued in next post.....

Oscar

On Instagram, he posted “Join me through my NBA draft process” shows him on jet & working out on beach. You can subscribe for $9.99 monthly to get exclusive content from him on Instagram.
Struck me as odd…Maybe I shouldn’t think that way but I just remember how calculated things were in announcing, post season — who is coming/going, etc. clear messaging, UK had hand in everything— now just seems like everyone just flying by seat of pants. Just NIL? Disconnect with coaches and players? I don’t know. Just struck me as odd way of saying “I'm testing waters, etc”

Will Cal go soft on the portal? What are our needs?

I have this sinking feeling that once Reeves and Onyenso declare that they're both definitively returning, Cal will go soft on the portal.

What do we need?

If Dilly arrives on campus:

G - Dillingham/ Wagner/Sheppard
G - Wagner/ Reeves/Thiero/???
F - Edwards/ Reeves/ Thiero/???
F - Bradshaw/ ???
C - Onyenso/ Bradshaw/ Ware

Looks like one more shooter, one more stretch four, and possibly a big man if Onyenso isn't ready to take the step.

Does Calipari have the courage to add the appropriate pieces and create real depth?

I think Ugonna will make a huge step this summer…

And emerge as a badass in the middle for the Cats.

He will be the rim protector that we’ve desperately needed and be more than potent enough on offense. He’s got all the tools we all want in a 5 man. AND HE WANTS TO BE HERE!

Him being back in the fold is much more important to me than Livingston. We need a dude like Ugonna to make Cal’s system effective.

I‘m jacked that he’s back. Btw- screw his handlers for yanking him around.

Cheers!
KB
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT