ADVERTISEMENT

Zone......

awf

All-American
May 31, 2006
KY
For those that are always wanting to see the CATS play zone the Syracuse/UL game comes on at 2PM. You should be able to get your fill watching that crap that has won Syracuse so many NC........

Was it a matchup zone? I saw the guys talking a lot and wondered if they were working in a matchup?

The announcer mention he was surprised about it and he didn't like having Bam at the top.

But it sure seemed to be effective.

At one point it looked like a 1-2-2 zone to me. But the next possession it resembled more of a 3-2 zone with Bam at the top as stated above.

Either way, it appeared to confuse them and cause them to stall a bit.

For those that are always wanting to see the CATS play zone the Syracuse/UL game comes on at 2PM. You should be able to get your fill watching that crap that has won Syracuse so many NC........

That is funny.. I watched UK play zone yesterday that won us the game.

At one point it looked like a 1-2-2 zone to me. But the next possession it resembled more of a 3-2 zone with Bam at the top as stated above.

We ran several looks at them and would go from one look into another mid play. It really threw UF off and their offense become confused and stagnant.

Take a look at the possession when there's about 3:30 left in the first. You'll see an example of when we set up in a 1-2-2. There's a few other first half possessions after that where we start with that and then adjust based on the offense.

It was interesting to watch as it was the first time all year we've tried that approach to deal with teams that were trying to spread us out defensively to open up driving lanes.

It's makes me wonder how many additional wrinkles Cal and Barbee might have been working on that we'll see over the next few games. I'm trying not to get ahead of myself, but at the same time, my optimism is really starting to grow. We'll just have to see how things look when Fox returns.

We never played zone yesterday, never. The possession referred to in the above post certainly wasn't a zone.

We never played zone yesterday, never. The possession referred to in the above post certainly wasn't a zone.

I leave that to others to decide.

For comparison though, with about 6 minutes left in the first half, you can see how we were defending UF differently when they had 5 players outside the three point line. Our players were up on them much more as opposed to two at the elbows and two at the blocks.

Can't you see how Syracuse is slowing Louisville down with that 2-3...

ADVERTISEMENT