ADVERTISEMENT

Zone

One can hope. I have liked what I have seen from them in the zone for the most part. It is inevitable that you are going to give up some 3's but we give up 3's in the M2M as well so not sure what the difference is. The back to back 3's Willis gave up Saturday night in the first half were huge but shouldn't take away from the stops the D was able to make.

We hit a nice little stretch of scoring in the second half but gave up points or a foul and free throws on something like 10 possessions in a row playing our M2M defense. We did switch to a zone down 10 and Florida drained a three from the corner and got two quick runouts to go up 17 and that was ballgame.

Interesting to note when you are not known as a good defensive player anyway that anytime your man shoots the ball it always goes in. Every single time Willis tries to recover and gets his hand up in the shooters face, his guy nails the shot every time.

Reactions: brianpoe
Gald to see them use it, I definitely didnt think it was that effective (21/30) when watching.

Our full court press was abysmal.

Reactions: EliteBlue
It has potential, but there will be nights where teams will light us up from 3. UF burned us on a few possessions Saturday.

We have a flawed team, so it might be the only way to cover up our deficiencies on the defensive end.

I like having it as a weapon in our arsenal, but our man to man defense has got to improve.

I think we should zone more, but the reason it is so effective right now is it is unexpected.

We rotate out front with our wings abit too much and it will get scored on more and more as we play it more frequently

When we go man, we give up straight line drives and threes. When we go zone, we're just giving up jumpers. Obvious choice is obvious. If a team hits 20 threes and beats you, so-be-it.

When we go man, we give up straight line drives and threes. When we go zone, we're just giving up jumpers. Obvious choice is obvious. If a team hits 20 threes and beats you, so-be-it.

Agreed.

But if we want to be a serious contender, we have to improve the man defense. We won't go far in the tourney playing zone all the time.

But I like it as one of our weapons.

Reactions: G-PIP and brianpoe
The more I see us zone the more I think Val doesn't like it because he doesn't really teach it well. It's been fairly effective this year but it blows my mind how many times guys overrotate and get way out of position whether it be a 2-3 or 3-2 and half the time it looks like some hybrid defense. Even on UFs board during the UGA game they were asking "what kind of alien defense" we were playing.

Barbee Said today out of 30 possessions last two games they have garnered 21 stops.

Think it might be time to use it often....
Cal hates zone but I have said every year I'd like to see him have it in the toolbox to pull out when man isn't working. This year is no different.

Cal is finally seeing the light.
Thank God.
There is just enough time before the Dance to get good at it.

This team will be twice as good with multiple defenses.

Reactions: kodakkodak
He could also change up the zone when the other team makes a couple, I believe it really helps Willis who struggles to stay with his man one on one.

Reactions: KWilt43atbuzz
ADVERTISEMENT