ADVERTISEMENT

Zone was effective. Was that Cal or Kenny?

I didn't see where it was that effective. If USC had been shooting better it would have hurt. We were out of position to rebound. We were susceptible on the baseline, which should never happen with a zone. Kansas would have sliced it to ribbons.

Reactions: DwayneMeighan
I didn't see where it was that effective. If USC had been shooting better it would have hurt. We were out of position to rebound. We were susceptible on the baseline, which should never happen with a zone. Kansas would have sliced it to ribbons.

Agreed. Just because the results fell our way doesn't mean it was effective.

USC wasn't doing much on offense and it didn't really matter what defense we were in lol.

Not like they were scoring when we were man to man either lol

Reactions: DwayneMeighan
Coach Cal had mentioned after the Kansas and UT games with the 81 Fouls called against UK looking to play the zone some. He had also mentioned it once on one of his Monday night call-in show looking at the zone. I think this year with all the fouls and the picky fouls that are being called against Kentucky he knows with the lack of big men and in past years he is usually loaded with big men and with Poythress out he was going to have to look at playing zone. Coach Cal has always been a Coach that loves to play the in your face man-to-man defense. He was that way at UMASS and Memphis too.

Don't think anyone has ever said he is a bad coach. Stubborn and bad are far cries from one another. When the other team is scoring at will against your preferred defensive strategy then it only makes sense to have a plan B. We have not seen a plan B all year defensively and there were other games where it was needed more so than yesterday.
Although I tend to agree, but just because that plan B worked against USC, doesn't mean it's going to work against everyone else. From what I saw, the zone was pretty bad. USC was able to get a good look with ease 75% of the time.

The only reason it worked is because USC as a team can't shoot for crap. If they were able to hit their open shots, UK would have quickly been forced to come out of the zone. Needless to say, the zone UK played against USC will not be effective against any decent shooting team.

I am amazed that people say the zone wasn't good because SC missed shots? Uh the 3 is a tougher percentage shot. Yeah we gave up some looks but the zone is designed to force those 3s. I understand the majority on here never played organized ball but the zone was effective and to say it was because SC is not a good shooting team is crazy. That's a reason to use it. When you get behind in the second half the rim gets a little smaller. It also protected our bigs in foul trouble and forced SC to use more time on offense. I thought we rebounded better out of it. We played it better and better as the game went on.not saying it will be our primary d but it sure helps to have a change of pace.

USC ranks 229th in shooting. So they are a poor shooting team.

While I agree if your gonna use zone that's the time to use it......against a team that shoots poorly...the fact remains is that when we played man to man in the first half of the game, our defense was better compared to the zone we played in the second half.

No..pretty sure it was that we are just better. South Carolina lost to missouri. Pretty sure we could have played defense with 3 guys.

Zone defense sucks, btw.

Reactions: kybassfan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT