ADVERTISEMENT

Zone the answer to Fraizer?

canebreak

Senior
Jan 26, 2004
I admit I missed a lot of game but from what I saw Fraizer unstoppable going to rack. He was all their offense. Would five or 10 possessions of zone have made this a comfortable win.? Make them hit from outside instead of their last 10 or 15 shots being layups?

Zoning a great shooter is a good way to get blown out

Reactions: awf
Thought the same for awhile but he probably would have hit 10 3's by himself against the zone the way he was playing tonight. Honestly, though, I would have put the zone on for awhile to see if it would interrupt their offense and slow him down a bit.

Reactions: UKCatWoman
When Ga shoots over 50% from the field, but 3-15 from 3, and Frazier has 15 Ft attempts, then I think zone is definitely the answer. At least in short spurts.

Reactions: spotter34
Tried it one time and our so called best defender got blown by and scored on

The "answer" is we absolutely have to improve our Pick-and-Roll defense. Fox doesn't fight through screens hard enough and Bam doesn't use the right angles or his size on the hedge. It is killing us against quick, get to the rim Guards.

Reactions: ManitouDan
The one time we used it tonight they went straight inside and scored.

Yep, played zone one time tonight and one time only. Gave up a layup so we never played it again despite giving up points on what seemed to be 10 consecutive possessions in the 2nd half. Tell cal it's a guaranteed win playing anything other than man and he will still play man.

Reactions: ORCAT10
I admit I missed a lot of game but from what I saw Fraizer unstoppable going to rack. He was all their offense. Would five or 10 possessions of zone have made this a comfortable win.? Make them hit from outside instead of their last 10 or 15 shots being layups?
They shot 54.8% in the second half. Only 3 -15 from three. I'm a big believer in a zone just to change things up at times.

There is 0% chance we have practiced it at all....but tonight would have a been a good night for a box and 1 defense.
Really no reason they should not have practiced it. Every coach should have a junk defense in their bag of tricks.

As athletic as Fox and Monk are, there is NO reason they cannot stay in front of somebody

It's just a matter of the will.....see Dom

Cal is never going to buy in to any degree. One possession and he was done. My question is why do we switch pick and rolls 30 feet from the basket and allow the PG to go downhill against our bigs. That far out he can go under or should be trapped, the latter preferably.

Reactions: ManitouDan
Cal is never going to buy in to any degree. One possession and he was done. My question is why do we switch pick and rolls 30 feet from the basket and allow the PG to go downhill against our bigs. That far out he can go under or should be trapped, the latter preferably.
Agree. Ga is not a good 3 point shooting team. Just have guards slide under and give up a 3 rather than a layup.

I would like to see us have at least a semblance of ability with zoning, but clearly it's not there. Just to have something different to throw at an opposing team when needed. At this point in the season though, it is what it is. These incessant layups against us make me both cringe and curse.

Staff had done a horrible job with high pick and roll..,either hard hedge or fight through but doing none of the above is getting us killed.

Why wait until almost beat to send a trap at Frazier
Just horrible Coaching and adjustments

Reactions: GridCats
Zone wouldn't matter, guards score at will on us. Been that way all season so it wont change.

Staff had done a horrible job with high pick and roll..,either hard hedge or fight through but doing none of the above is getting us killed.

Why wait until almost beat to send a trap at Frazier
Just horrible Coaching and adjustments

Yep, I was really disappointed with Cal's coaching. The last 5 mins everyone knew what Fraizer was going to do yet there were no adjustments.

You know the pick and roll is not a bizarre new tactic that no coach has ever seen before. Why is it like a nuclear weapon against cave men for this team?
NBA teams even struggle against the P&R. It's not easy to defend, especially if the ball handler can kill you with the jumper or driving to the basket.

Yep, I was really disappointed with Cal's coaching. The last 5 mins everyone knew what Fraizer was going to do yet there were no adjustments.

The X's and O's are horrible. The lack of preparing the players on how to properly defend the PikNRoll was the story once again. The lack of adjustments is even worse. Having Fraizier beat you off the dribble possession after possession and doing little to nothing to adjust has to make you think what do they actually do in practice? Cal should have put a 1-2-2 half court trap to take Frazier out of the game by limiting his ability to blow past our guys on the PikNRoll. It's not that difficult.

ADVERTISEMENT