ADVERTISEMENT

Zone on the

Kybluedude

All-SEC
Nov 19, 2005
Like to see us zone the inbound play under our basket at times. We have given up layups ( 2 big ones vs UCLA )and the man to man causes us to get some unnecessary fouls (got back to back ones today). We seem to foul or give up an easy one every game.

I hate zone..I'm not sure why ppl think it's a magical unstoppable defense.

You know when teams run zone...when they arent athletically enough to defend.

Another reason it's not a good idea...this team is struggling on the boards. You know what zone does...it makes it more difficult to rebound, bc your removing having a man in between goal and man...your guarding an area.

Reactions: kybassfan

Another reason it's not a good idea...this team is struggling on the boards. You know what zone does...it makes it more difficult to rebound, bc your removing having a man in between goal and man...your guarding an area.

If we already suck on the boards, what does it matter? Syracuse is plenty athletic.

OP is talking about zoning inbounds play--doesn't mean you play zone defense--just zone it to prevent the layup/dunk/foul that so many teams get against UK--at least the good teams do. I get what he's saying and really think most coaches are idiots when they don't zone OOB plays--at the HS/College level. You always want to force the ball out deep and not give up an easy two. There are 2 kids who whenever they are in the game, you run a solid step and go and UK will get beat for a layup.

It's like Cal and UK's switching. Fine you switch on a guy--doesn't mean you can't switch back when a big is cross matched--but they let their best rebounder have to defend 20 ft extended from hoop and then get killed on boards due to a missed shot being like a pass. It's interesting philosophy. Cal has all his bigs defend like they are Camby, Davis, Noel, WCS, and that's interesting. If you are going to play 3 guard lineup-it's asking to get ass kicked on boards. Which UCLA abused them and in cross matches with Leaf destroying Hawkins, Briscoe, Monk, etc...

Thank you Ralph on understanding I was referring to the inbounds play. Hasn't been good so far and I agree on the switching. Don't like our 5 or 4 to their 1 or 2 switch. Hopefully we can get it figured out as time goes on. I heard Coach Payne says the pros like our bigs because they can switch and guard all positions but I'm not sure it is always the best route.

I get Cal's philosophy and I respect the hell out of it. With that said, I dont think we'd play with any less of an edge defensively if Cal employed strategic zone use.

Better chance we find big foot and the Loch Ness monster in one day.

Calipari is still the coach, thank god.

Can tell this guy has never played a organized game of basketball...good land

Cal gives up easy buckets playing man on out of bounds under opponents goal . That's why most teams zone then switch back to man on long pass out front. Mark my word ole Roy will score twice against it

Zone defense, mulder, and the power K. Which would you like to see more of?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT