ADVERTISEMENT

Zone and 3's

Cal doesn't care about winning here, yet he is winning. How does that work? A lot of coaches care about winning and are not winning
He is winning but said "I can't play zone because I owe it these kids to get them ready for the next level. "If he would have just played some zone against Whiskey probably would have won another championship. I don't know but my hope would be that KY winning should be the most important and if that happens good things will happen to the players.

Reactions: robman181
Cal has won more games during his time.frame here than any coach anywhere else in that same period great post.
Yes he has done very well. However, K has three championships Cal 1 not to mention Roy with 3 in 12 years. If he would have played zone just some UK likely would have beaten Whiskey and been favored to keep K at 2. We are UK and championships matter. I love Cal but UK winning championships is still important I think? or has that goal changed. This team will need to use the zone this year.

Reactions: BourbonBalz
He is winning but said "I can't play zone because I owe it these kids to get them ready for the next level. "If he would have just played some zone against Whiskey probably would have won another championship. I don't know but my hope would be that KY winning should be the most important and if that happens good things will happen to the players.

You don’t know a zone would have helped. I’m not sure how anyone could say If we went zone we probably win a title. I don’t think that’s remotely accurate.

We had a historically good defense that season and we didnt do it with a zone defense.

Also people are severely downplaying just how good Wisconsin was on offense that season.

We aren’t going to implement a zone defense in a final four game when 38 games before that we used none.

Reactions: brianpoe and G-PIP
I'm not a fan that wants zone all the time. But I do find it hilarious that Cal jokes about not playing zone because the other team will hit 3's. Well how could anybody hit any more 3's than Vermont today against the man to man? I never understood why he says that.
Yeah..just means the team is learning to play defense, communicate, rotate, etc so why would they run zone to not improve the man d which is the superior defense. Now as well as the entire first half of the season is time to prepare and get better for the end of the year. If they need to improve man, you aren't going to improve running something else...zone sucks

Yeah..just means the team is learning to play defense, communicate, rotate, etc so why would they run zone to not improve the man d which is the superior defense. Now as well as the entire first half of the season is time to prepare and get better for the end of the year. If they need to improve man, you aren't going to improve running something else...zone sucks

lol. No zone we lose to Utah State. No zone we lose to South Carolina when Cal got thrown out of the game. On and on. If you wouldn’t ever play it even a few minutes a game when needed then you suck. Again, we lose Friday without some zone!

Just my opinion but the type of kids Cal recruits don't
Well Well look who likes this thread, Zipp and Kerry Rhoades , what are you two dumb bastards doing on a basketball board ? Shouldn't you be on a how to rebuild a brothel board and please come back Tom board ?

Yes he has done very well. However, K has three championships Cal 1 not to mention Roy with 3 in 12 years. If he would have played zone just some UK likely would have beaten Whiskey and been favored to keep K at 2. We are UK and championships matter. I love Cal but UK winning championships is still important I think? or has that goal changed. This team will need to use the zone this year.

Dude, if we got the same treatment by the refs, the NCAA, and the Duke/UNC slurpers that put the brackets together we would have a couple more as well. If you don’t think Cal cares about winning a championship every year then I don’t know what to tell you, other than you are dead wrong.

Reactions: brianpoe
One reason I think Cal doesn't like a zone is because the zone allows the other team to rest. Instead of being pressured and chased around. Cal don't want their offense to stand around passing the ball around the perimeter. He conditions the hell out our guys to wear the other team out.
Tired legs make FG% go down.
These opinions are all based on my opinions totally :smiley:

In Cal's post-game presser he said Richards did not play because they had 5 guys that could shoot the 3. So would he not be better off preparing the team for such an occasion with a zone for a few minutes to see what happens? Maybe that way one of our best players is not stuck on the bench with as much of a chance to impact the game as I did in section 231?

Reactions: BourbonBalz
I’m not a coach, my opinion means nothing, but I don’t think a zone defense is the answer when they’re happy to shoot 3’a anyway. Learning to switch and fight through screens begins in November. Cal knows what he’s doing. Anonymously questioning a hall of famer’s coaching decisions is easy to do. So is trusting his judgement.

Reactions: kyjeff1
ZONE!!!! Cal needs to either care about UK winning or find another school. He is always too worried about NBA

Why is the world do you want to zone a team that shoots 47% from 3?

You seem like you want the team to get smoked because you are fixated on a gimmick to me.

Reactions: kyjeff1
ADVERTISEMENT