ADVERTISEMENT

Zion Williamson... Bleacher Report

K Rat says there's nothing to see here...move along now...

polak-off.png

You have to start to wonder if Zion’s hand being out before/during the McD game was the rift between EJ and the rest of the dUKies who, we can assume, had their hands out as well. The rift that EJ says wasn’t there.

Reactions: Bird--man
There’s no chance a player like Zion is up for sale and he goes to Duke for free, whoever got him bought him. Dukes surge in recruiting was nothing more than illegal benefits, probably a mixed bag of buying some players with some that weren’t paid.

I don't understand something. The article said Williamson's name became involved in that trial, but later it says that the conversation about him was not admitted into evidence. Huh?

There’s no chance a player like Zion is up for sale and he goes to Duke for free, whoever got him bought him. Dukes surge in recruiting was nothing more than illegal benefits, probably a mixed bag of buying some players with some that weren’t paid.

I don't know if I would agree with that. I don't think we paid Wall, and you know there were people out there that would have been willing to give him stuff if he had asked. It could be that he was offered without asking, or other players may have been that ended up here. That fact alone does not mean the team that gets said player is dirty. There has to be more than that.

Bagley
Duval
Zion

K's wanted to solidify his legacy as having "draft cred" and he's getting it. I actually love it. He's not better than OAD. He not only had to use OAD to remain legit; he had to crawl through the slimiest swamps of OAD in order to manufacture a competitive team.

If UK wins it all next April, I'd rather see K's reaction than Cal's (if given a choice). It would be a moment of historic beauty.

I don't know if I would agree with that. I don't think we paid Wall, and you know there were people out there that would have been willing to give him stuff if he had asked. It could be that he was offered without asking, or other players may have been that ended up here. That fact alone does not mean the team that gets said player is dirty. There has to be more than that.
That’s a different scenario as you yourself pointed out, there’s proof Zion was asking. It takes the player asking, it doesn’t matter how many potential suitors would have offered. Under your example Wall would have been looking to get paid but just went to UK without anything, that’s never happening.

Hate duke. Freely admit it. My guess is duke thru it’s alumni have managed to become the best at getting improper benefits to players and their families. Perhaps the basketball program is not directly involved but they are certainly the benefactor.

Allows the program to claim plausible deniability and the holier than thou attitude of saint K

Yea, why would you want Kansas to pay you, but not Duke? Defies logic. Good post.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Hate duke. Freely admit it. My guess is duke thru it’s alumni have managed to become the best at getting improper benefits to players and their families. Perhaps the basketball program is not directly involved but they are certainly the benefactor.

Allows the program to claim plausible deniability and the holier than thou attitude of saint K

And the person to navigate those waters was probably Capel who is now gone, and coincidentally they seem to be struggling relative to what they have been doing the last few years.

I don't understand something. The article said Williamson's name became involved in that trial, but later it says that the conversation about him was not admitted into evidence. Huh?

The thing that makes me laugh is how are jurors supposed to forget what they just saw and heard?

But the defense presented some of that evidence ... not all of it and the judge said nope not allowed.

And the person to navigate those waters was probably Capel who is now gone, and coincidentally they seem to be struggling relative to what they have been doing the last few years.

Perhaps. Maybe he would just put the right alumni in touch with the players family and “bang” duke gets a commitment.

The one case that truly baffles me though is Duval. That kid should never have been academically eligible anywhere. Nowhere. And sure as h’ll shouldn’t have been eligible at the all mighty duke. Perhaps the whole “private” school angle allowed for some undisclosed malfeasance. Not sure. But that kid shouldn’t have ever played college ball. No other kid from that school was ever immediately eligible. No one. I think cincy had a kid become eligible but he didn’t spend 2 years at the school like duval and he had to prep a year to get “academically “ eligible.

Dukes entire last year should b vacated Bc of duval

Another example of every program actually does "cheat" and there really is nothing to be done. Heck, the NCAA knew both Cam Newton's father was selling his son's services and basically sanctioned it. Marvin Bagley's father was paid by Nike, no issue there either. The NCAA is completely incompetent and their punishments are arbitrary and capricious. Programs now compete to see who is best at it (Duke took the lead years ago). Football is even worse than basketball. Time to let kids go directly to the pros and set up funds for kids who come from impoverished backgrounds to get some form of minimal compensation during school and a bonus if they complete their degree.

Last edited:
The thing that makes me laugh is how are jurors supposed to forget what they just saw and heard?

But the defense presented some of that evidence ... not all of it and the judge said nope not allowed.

It was probably only in an evidentiary hearing, and not before the jury.

ADVERTISEMENT