ADVERTISEMENT

Zion picks Kentucky 1/20/2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah but u acted like it wasn't even in the realm of possibility that he was that high

No I didn't. You may have assumed that or read that into my post yourself. It happens. I knew he was ranked in the top 10 early in his junior season. But he was never #1. I just value accuracy.

You have almost 4800 post since you created your account in May. That breaks down to over 20 post a day, but yea, keep talking about downtime.. It's amusing.

20 posts a day, especially with easy ability to post from your phone (anywhere , in line , in the bathroom, on a walk... etc ) really isn’t that much.

I do feel special however that you took the time out (i guess in your downtime ?) to mathematically average out my posts PER :)

Reactions: BBUK and Fox2monk
Rupp Arena will go crazy once Z picks UK just before tip off and it’s announced Live to the crowd. Can’t wait to see him on a stage as huge as Kentucky. My boy going to ball out!
1220okw.jpg

Did u see him put up 20 first half points hit 3s elevate go behind his back like a pg in traffic? Wasn't sold on him being a dominant player in college but he will.

He will be a dominate player, I said over his career which will.be 15 years or so and metabolism slows down.

My magic 8 ball said yes today!!!!! I'm marrying a frog!!!!!!!!!!!! errrrrrrrrr damn it , wrong question. Sorry I'll try asking again and let you know what the all wise and knowing 8 ball says.

20 posts a day, especially with easy ability to post from your phone (anywhere , in line , in the bathroom, on a walk... etc ) really isn’t that much.

I do feel special however that you took the time out (i guess in your downtime ?) to mathematically average out my posts PER :)

He needs to come up with a formula that includes likes to find out you +- when your on the board.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
Do any of you see in the future the possibility of switching up any staff to help out with recruiting if we miss on Zion? Asking for a friend

No I didn't. You may have assumed that or read that into my post yourself. It happens. I knew he was ranked in the top 10 early in his junior season. But he was never #1. I just value accuracy.

That's kewl man. Will change it to 2 then still makes my point that this Cal is slipping in recruiting just isn't true.

That's kewl man. Will change it to 2 then still makes my point that this Cal is slipping in recruiting just isn't true.

you don't think Cal's ability to land the elite top 5 recruit since the 2013 class has changed, coincidentally with Duke's rise in recruiting the same players? Labissiere is Cal's only top 5 guy and the only guy Duke has missed on that they've went all in on was Kevin Knox, surprisingly enough who signed with UK.

UK hand picked whoever they wanted from 2009-2013. Multiple top 10 and even multiple top 5 guys. That's a hard trend to keep up. But it's slipped. For whatever reason. Just has. The rankings suggest it.

Shit... Duke signed what's likely gonna end up being the #1 and #2 overall recruits in the 2018 class when they're finalized this summer and if Williamson turns down UK and Wiseman doesn't reclassify, UK is gonna fail to land a composite top 10 recruit for the first time in the Calipari era.

Maybe it was an impossible pace to keep up. But alas, it's a slip. There's no denying it.

you don't think Cal's ability to land the elite top 5 recruit since the 2013 class has changed, coincidentally with Duke's rise in recruiting the same players? Labissiere is Cal's only top 5 guy and the only guy Duke has missed on that they've went all in on was Kevin Knox, surprisingly enough who signed with UK.

UK hand picked whoever they wanted from 2009-2013. Multiple top 10 and even multiple top 5 guys. That's a hard trend to keep up. But it's slipped. For whatever reason. Just has. The rankings suggest it.

Shit... Duke signed what's likely gonna end up being the #1 and #2 overall recruits in the 2018 class when they're finalized this summer and if Williamson turns down UK and Wiseman doesn't reclassify, UK is gonna fail to land a composite top 10 recruit for the first time in the Calipari era.

Maybe it was an impossible pace to keep up. But alas, it's a slip. There's no denying it.

All I know is we have been to 2 final fours and shoulda been 3 if not for horrible officiating last year. I can think of several recruits Cal didn't get before 2013. We didnt even Wiggins that season. Duke did change recruiting tactics but we were far from handpicking there are several recruits we miss every year. However to act concerned that we haven't gotten elite talent every year just isn't true. Also if not for eligibility issues we most likely get Ayton and would have at least recruited Duvall.

Cal revolutionized the landscape with his valuation of freshman and sales pitch. Now more teams have implemented his approach and have been able to add new angles, like Coach K with Team USA.

All I know is we have been to 2 final fours and shoulda been 3 if not for horrible officiating last year. I can think of several recruits Cal didn't get before 2013. We didnt even Wiggins that season. Duke did change recruiting tactics but we were far from handpicking there are several recruits we miss every year. However to act concerned that we haven't gotten elite talent every year just isn't true. Also if not for eligibility issues we most likely get Ayton and would have at least recruited Duvall.

This doesn’t discount what @Col. Angus posted.

Why people argue this obvious point really doesn’t make much sense.

We could have won it all the last couple of years, still doesn’t change the fact that we haven’t been signing the highest rated players like we used to.

Wiggins isn’t a great example because we did sign the #2, 5, 7, 9 and 11 players - which included the #1 PF, PG, SG and C....

2014 we only signed the #5 player in the top 10 and this was overshadowed due to so many players returning.****

2015 we signed the #1 player who had hadn’t played in 2 years, # 9 Murray and #10 Briscoe who wasn’t elite.

2016 we signed #6, 7, and 9 (0 rated tops at their position)

2017 we signed only #10. - what does this team look like with a Porter, Bagley, Ayton or Bamba look like?

From 2009 to 2013 we signed 7 top 3 players and since then we have signed only 1 and he hadn’t played basketball in 2 years.

In fact we have only signed 2 players since 2014 who were ranked top of their position.

IMO, if Dakari stays as he should have in 2016 we are a different squad (twins as well?)

If Hump and Briscoe stay as normal kids would how is this year’s squad different?

Hell, if Teague and Lamb stay we are not a NIT team in 2013.

If those that leave that shouldn’t have would stay then this topic isn’t an issue, IMO.

Wow, that's a name I haven't heard in years. Didn't he die, or get indicted on some federal felony or something? I seem to remember that there was no good end to him, but he was gone forever. What 10-15 years ago?

No idea what happened to TCCAT but wasn't he the one who claimed to get info at Taco Bell or some running line about Taco Bell back in the day? That was the era with Hoover and some others on here who claimed they had big time insider info on recruiting and became very defensive about their posts. Wonder what happened to all those guys who said they were die hard UK fans? They were pretty big names on the board at the time and many followed their words like they were pure gold when most of what they posted was just pure guess work.

We could have won it all the last couple of years, still doesn’t change the fact that we haven’t been signing the highest rated players like we used to.

Wiggins isn’t a great example because we did sign the #2, 5, 7, 9 and 11 players - which included the #1 PF, PG, SG and C....

2014 we only signed the #5 player in the top 10 and this was overshadowed due to so many players returning.****

2015 we signed the #1 player who had hadn’t played in 2 years, # 9 Murray and #10 Briscoe who wasn’t elite.

2017 we signed only #10. - what does this team look like with a Porter, Bagley, Ayton or Bamba look like?

From 2009 to 2013 we signed 7 top 3 players and since then we have signed only 1 and he hadn’t played basketball in 2 years.

In fact we have only signed 2 players since 2014 who were ranked top of their position.

IMO, if Dakari stays as he should have in 2016 we are a different squad (twins as well?)

If Hump and Briscoe stay as normal kids would how is this year’s squad different?

If those that leave that shouldn’t have would stay then this topic isn’t an issue, IMO.
U

How doesn't it? If someone makes a post claiming UK had their pick implying we didn't miss back then it's in accurate we have misses on kids every year. I admitted Duke changed their recruiting and also admitted there were some top kids like Ayton and others we had to back away from because of eligibility issues. The point is we haven't signed any elite talent. It's just isn't true the ranking beside their name doesn't make Fox or Monk not the top player at their position only kid we missed on was Bolden who was far from elite. We have had one bad season where we seemed to miss everyone and that was the 2015 class. Other than that I think Cal based on his own evaluation got who he wanted.

Pretty sure Diallo was the best 2 guard in the class. Or would a been had he stayed in the class. JV was considered the best forward in the class when we started recruiting him. So we have had a couple of ridiculous classes but we have had some that were just great. Still think Cal gets the guys he wants that his hands are not tied on. Just not buying into the Cal is slipping stuff. I do see ur point not arguing about how good we are if guys stay. I am disagreeing with the legion of doom. Like you have said it's a combo of guys not staying Cal thought would Duke changing their recruiting but also without eligibility issues I think Ayton is a UK wildcat not Arizona.

Cal signed Fox Monk and Bam season before last. I think those 3 were exactly who he wanted ranking be damned. We missed on a big ranked in the high teens who turned out to be a bust. We had an mediocre recruiting class after 2012 season. We made up for it the next season. It's just a cycle we are in.

Last edited:
Thay isn't what u said. U said we had the ability to pick and choose.. Wiggins had been considered a lock for almost a year. Just believe in being accurate

He PICKED and CHOSE HALF THE TOP 10. That included #2 overall Julius Randle. He missed on Wiggins. No one complained.

No one gets every single player they target. Ever. Never have. Never will. Stop being dense for the sake of being dense.

"You're the longest winded dasturb I've ever known..." -J.B. Books

Reactions: brianpoe
Does the kentuckymbb instagram page follow all of our top recruiting targets and then go back and unfollow if we don’t get them?

I noticed they’re follow a lot of former and current players, as well as Zion and James Wiseman - but none of the recruits we’ve missed out on, as far as I could tell (I quickly scrolled through).

I just don’t see why the official men’s basketball page is following potential recruits... does it mean anything? I’ll tell myself no, because we’ve been duped on social media before.

U

How doesn't it? If someone makes a post claiming UK had their pick implying we didn't miss back then it's in accurate we have misses on kids every year. I admitted Duke changed their recruiting and also admitted there were some top kids like Ayton and others we had to back away from because of eligibility issues. The point is we haven't signed any elite talent. It's just isn't true the ranking beside their name doesn't make Fox or Monk not the top player at their position only kid we missed on was Bolden who was far from elite. We have had one bad season where we seemed to miss everyone and that was the 2015 class. Other than that I think Cal based on his own evaluation got who he wanted.

Pretty sure Diallo was the best 2 guard in the class. Or would a been had he stayed in the class. JV was considered the best forward in the class when we started recruiting him. So we have had a couple of ridiculous classes but we have had some that were just great. Still think Cal gets the guys he wants that his hands are not tied on. Just not buying into the Cal is slipping stuff. I do see ur point not arguing about how good we are if guys stay. I am disagreeing with the legion of doom. Like you have said it's a combo of guys not staying Cal thought would Duke changing their recruiting but also without eligibility issues I think Ayton is a UK wildcat not Arizona.

Cal signed Fox Monk and Bam season before last. I think those 3 were exactly who he wanted ranking be damned. We missed on a big ranked in the high teens who turned out to be a bust. We had an mediocre recruiting class after 2012 season. We made up for it the next season. It's just a cycle we are in.

Angus said Top 5 many times and that is what I am basing my statements on and this has been discussed several times and probably should be paired down to Top 3, fact is it is still true.

You are taking his one line - regarding UK had their pick and running with that.

Again it doesn't matter if there was eligibility issues or we recruited who we wanted and they were not Top 3. JV ended up ranked #14.

You dont have to buy into anything but facts are facts.

From 2009- 2013 we singed 7 Top 3 players which resulted in 3 FF's, 1 Runner Up, 1 Championship

Since 2014 we have signed 2 Top 3 players = 1 FF

You can say Cal signed everyone he wanted but he seemed to have recruited or at least offered the following players:

2017: Bagley, Ayton, Bamba
2016: Giles, Tatum
2015: Brown, Ingram
2014: Mudiay, Johnson

Other than 2014, I would venture that any one of these players could have been an impact player for us that given year.

I'm not really disagreeing with you regarding Fox, Monk and Bam or that we are in some type of cycle.

But we are no longer getting the Top 3 players any longer and if we do not get Zion it gets even tougher.

If K would retire I think we could get back to being the premiere dominate program for the elite of the elite.

Angus said Top 5 many times and that is what I am basing my statements on and this has been discussed several times and probably should be paired down to Top 3, fact is it is still true.

You are taking his one line - regarding UK had their pick and running with that.

Again it doesn't matter if there was eligibility issues or we recruited who we wanted and they were not Top 3. JV ended up ranked #14.

You dont have to buy into anything but facts are facts.

From 2009- 2013 we singed 7 Top 3 players which resulted in 3 FF's, 1 Runner Up, 1 Championship

Since 2014 we have signed 2 Top 3 players = 1 FF

You can say Cal signed everyone he wanted but he seemed to have recruited or at least offered the following players:

2017: Bagley, Ayton, Bamba
2016: Giles, Tatum
2015: Brown, Ingram
2014: Mudiay, Johnson

Other than 2014, I would venture that any one of these players could have been an impact player for us that given year.

I'm not really disagreeing with you regarding Fox, Monk and Bam or that we are in some type of cycle.

But we are no longer getting the Top 3 players any longer and if we do not get Zion it gets even tougher.

If K would retire I think we could get back to being the premiere dominate program for the elite of the elite.

Good post.

In your opinion , why do you think Dukes recruiting has skyrocketed so?

He PICKED and CHOSE HALF THE TOP 10. That included #2 overall Julius Randle. He missed on Wiggins. No one complained.

No one gets every single player they target. Ever. Never have. Never will. Stop being dense for the sake of being dense.
Might be "the old chain yank" goin' on here.

Good post.

In your opinion , why do you think Dukes recruiting has skyrocketed so?

Thats a good question. Perhaps...

Now that Duke has adopted Cal's OAD strategy the following could be potential reasons:

Coach K with his titles, USA Basketball, and NBA endorsements is viewed as a better coach to play for than Cal.

The Nike and media preference for Duke.

Duke is a much better school than UK.

Duke is able to push questionable qualifiers through without any issues (directly in conflict with the previous statement).

Fat Capel is cheating again...?

Thats a good question. Perhaps...

Now that Duke has adopted Cal's OAD strategy the following could be potential reasons:

Coach K with his titles, USA Basketball, and NBA endorsements is viewed as a better coach to play for than Cal.

The Nike and media preference for Duke.

Duke is a much better school than UK.

Duke is able to push questionable qualifiers through without any issues (directly in conflict with the previous statement).

Fat Capel is cheating again...?

If there's a Skinny Capel, he's cheating too. I guess he may have the minime going on...

Reactions: brianpoe
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT